RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Starting late

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
do you have a date for your fight
Nope. Just somewhere in February, that's when the district championships are. Before that I may have another exhibition, but nothing serious.

Ps. thanks for wishing me luck the both of you, I may need it
RDJ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #32
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

the first fight is the hardest

the punches hurt more

your nervous

just keep calm relax and enjoy it and do what you do in the gym in the ring
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #33
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
the first fight is the hardest

the punches hurt more

your nervous

just keep calm relax and enjoy it and do what you do in the gym in the ring
Yea, relaxation is key. Nothing like tensity to tire you out and make punches feel harder than they really are.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #34
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
I'm training to be my best, but I realize that isn't world or even national level. I box for fun, I'm ****ing 32 years old. I wish I found out about boxing 15 years earlier, but that didn't happen I was too busy being a fragile ****wit back then.
No sweat. I started boxing at 25. Had 3 amateur fights around that time, quit for 2 years after a bad eye injury...got back in to training last year and now at 30 im trying to have a few more fights then call it a day from competing.

I know guys who didnt start competing at 30. A lot of them were former athletes or may have been doing martial arts or something for a while then decided to try their hand at boxing. They used to have white collar boxing out here which was prematched fights for people of any age but it was banned a few years ago for some reason. That was real good for people over 34 to get some competitive fights.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #35
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoohands View Post
so you have been training for 4 years and havnt had a fight yet. After 4 years of training as an adult you would want to be a gun and nearly a pro. I think your progress is slow...
I trained for almost four years before my first fight... I feel the longer you wait and train the better you'll be and gauranteed a win... I lost my first one though, but have won my past four!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
How much do you bench, though?
How much you can bench has nothing to do with how well you can box.

RDJ, screw half of these replies. Give em hell and good luck in you fight bro.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #36
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

seems like i was rushed into fighting i was fighting within 8 months o=f starting training

i lost my first 2 (seond was controversial) but this season have found my form and is boxing better
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #37
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
Disagree. Unless boxing is your livelihood to put food on the table then it shouldn't be a "lifestyle". That is, you shouldn't let any hobby consume your life, there is way more to life than boxing. Boxing being more risky than other sports has the tendency to do that to people. But you should give your all in training and when training is finished, you should focus on with other things in your life.

If you are training to be the best football or basketball player, you are going to bust your ass, but when training is over, you are not going to harp on it. The same should be true of boxing. Compartmentalizing is the healthiest way to do anything.

i think you have misunderstood me, when i say boxing is a lifestyle i dont mean all i do is box and do nothing else. What i mean is you have to live the lifestyle of a boxer if you want to achieve anything. which is dont take druks, no excessive drinking, dont eat take away food everyday, exercise regualy, run all the things that make you a boxer.
If you are not going to do these things plus train the house down in the gym you will not achieve to your full potential.
That goes without saying there is more important things then boxing, such as family, being happy.
I guess what im trying to say when i narrow it down is you have to have dedication, desire and disiplin inside and outside the gym to achieve in boxing.
I just dont see the point if your not training to be your best, getting punched up in the gym for what reason.
twoohands is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #38
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

[quote=TheRock49;3113986]I trained for almost four years before my first fight... I feel the longer you wait and train the better you'll be and gauranteed a win... I lost my first one though, but have won my past four!

---------

just imagine how much better you would have been after four years of training if you had been fighting the whole time. Im not saying you dont improve from regular sparring and training. But once you start fighting it all come together, your confidents grows in the ring. And year after 4 years of training you are guaranteed to win cos your fighting people with 8 months training. Just think about all the experience you have lost by not fighting until your 4th year of training.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #39
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
i think you have misunderstood me, when i say boxing is a lifestyle i dont mean all i do is box and do nothing else. What i mean is you have to live the lifestyle of a boxer if you want to achieve anything. which is dont take druks, no excessive drinking, dont eat take away food everyday, exercise regualy, run all the things that make you a boxer.
If you are not going to do these things plus train the house down in the gym you will not achieve to your full potential.
That goes without saying there is more important things then boxing, such as family, being happy.
I guess what im trying to say when i narrow it down is you have to have dedication, desire and disiplin inside and outside the gym to achieve in boxing.
I just dont see the point if your not training to be your best, getting punched up in the gym for what reason.
I wish some of the younger guys on my fight team thought and felt that way... they make me look amazing come fight day though...
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #40
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
About 3.5 years to be exact, but I never intended to fight for the first 3 years. And how would you know anything about my progress if you've never seen me spar or whatever.

well if you have progressed so much why didnt you fight, instead of spending all your time on a forum. Seems to me that you do your training at your computer desk. How the hell can you be giving advise to everyone on here when you havnt had a fight and you wouldnt know what its like to step through the ropes on fight day.
Why wouldnt you want to test your self and put all your skills to use and feel the rewards of winning a fight.
And dont call yourself an amatuer if you havnt had a fight. You cant even call yourself a boxer.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #41
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
How much do you bench, though?

good call,
Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #42
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
seems like i was rushed into fighting i was fighting within 8 months o=f starting training

i lost my first 2 (seond was controversial) but this season have found my form and is boxing better

nah you wernt rushed 8 months to a year is about right. I wouldnt worry about losing the first 2. Your a kid, you have plenty of time to learn, remember a loss doesnt matter in the amatuer as long as your learning on the way. The amatuers is about learning the trade, that why i cant understand why people would waste 4 years of training and not have a fight.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #43
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
nah you wernt rushed 8 months to a year is about right. I wouldnt worry about losing the first 2. Your a kid, you have plenty of time to learn, remember a loss doesnt matter in the amatuer as long as your learning on the way. The amatuers is about learning the trade, that why i cant understand why people would waste 4 years of training and not have a fight.
The guy lost weight, got fit, probably helped him alot with his character and confidence outside of the gym but nah, he hasn't had a 9 minute boxing contest where you can easily win or lose by points so those 4 years were ****ing pointless hey. BTW the amateurs for alot of people are their trade, instead of a bball game they play a boxing game. Yeah i said game, it's a sport that alot of people enjoy and for alot of people it's not that serious, you make the assumption that the only point of the amateurs is to get ready for the pros.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 AM   #44
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
Disagree. Unless boxing is your livelihood to put food on the table then it shouldn't be a "lifestyle". That is, you shouldn't let any hobby consume your life, there is way more to life than boxing. Boxing being more risky than other sports has the tendency to do that to people. But you should give your all in training and when training is finished, you should focus on with other things in your life.

If you are training to be the best football or basketball player, you are going to bust your ass, but when training is over, you are not going to harp on it. The same should be true of boxing. Compartmentalizing is the healthiest way to do anything.
Quality post.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #45
twoohands
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
The guy lost weight, got fit, probably helped him alot with his character and confidence outside of the gym but nah, he hasn't had a 9 minute boxing contest where you can easily win or lose by points so those 4 years were ****ing pointless hey. BTW the amateurs for alot of people are their trade, instead of a bball game they play a boxing game. Yeah i said game, it's a sport that alot of people enjoy and for alot of people it's not that serious, you make the assumption that the only point of the amateurs is to get ready for the pros.

listen im not dr phil, i dont know what social issues he has, but this is a boxing forum, not a phyciatrist forum, we are talkin about boxing ability and fighting, not about his social problems and character issues.

look anyone who boxes wants to be a great boxer, its only the ones who have disiplin, desire and dediacation can achieve this, the ones who dont have the heart to give 100% can call it a hobby

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing