Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
HeadBussa281

vCash: 1000
Default Beginning sparring/amateur bouts

i had a couple quick question my friend introduced me to boxing he has been going for about 4 months now and just started sparring and im new but i tend to watch every1 spar.

when you are boxing i hear most trainers say dont try and gather punch andd that speed is power but what do you do when you are sparring and you see a clean hit, should you gather power and punch as hard as u can with the right cross or should you just quick right hand or should i just do a quick jab or what?

also many times when i watch new guys sparr 1 guy may just b jabbing or throwing 1-2's but they guy is just covering his face up and not coimng back what should you do if he just basicaly waiting to counter you or to attack 1st?

last but not least, how often should a amateur sparr a week and use the hand pads? and can you do both on same day or would u have to do either or every otherday?
HeadBussa281 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Beginning sparring/amateur bouts

about the hard punches is sparring thats really your gym you should ask

dont understand the second question

you should be sparring and doing pads everyday in the gym
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

I spar two or three times a week if possible. How hard I punch depends on the person in front of me. If I know he can take some heat I'll be less inclined to hold back than with someone who's in the ring for the first time, obviously. Or if he's very experienced I also hold back because I don't want him to teach me a lesson in humility. It also depends on what my trainer yells at me at that moment

Keep in mind that he is not your enemy but your sparring partner. In fact he's closer to a friend because he can help you to learn how to box.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

well RDJ i hate everyone i fight even when i spar as soon as i see them opposite me i hate them. before and after we can be mates but i hate them in the ring so i tend to throw big shots and have to hold back a bit.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Hate belongs somewhere else, there are only a few people I really hate and if I shared a ring with them I'd probably attempt to kill them. Aggression yes, hate no.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

i describe it as hate its like you say not hate like hagler did like blame everything on your opponent so you absouloutly hate them, its like you hit me and im going to box the shit out of you type stuff alot of its hate of my own performance so i spar/box better
Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I spar at least one or two times a week, normally five, three minute rounds or so at a time. Hand pads, me and a bud meet up before fight class several times a week and do them. I dont see why you couldnt do them in the same day. Hell, I do two a days 6 days a week, not necessarily sparring or pads though, I throw in some running and what not.

How hard should you hit? Me and a couple buds normally discuss it before we spar. We normally do full speed at about 50% power, but sometimes we'll slow it down to work on form, or even go all out sometime to work on power or to vent from a stressful day.

As for the hate conversation, IMO thats for competitons not sparring. From my experience a good sparring partner is hard to come by. Hell, about a third of the time in the ring we're communicationg and talking to each other to help each other with our flaws, not kicking each other and spitting.

Hope this helps Headbussa, and keep watching others spar, try to watch fights on TV too. The more exposer the better IMO.
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
HeadBussa281

hey i appreciate every1 advice me and my friend are sinking them in and trying to mold it in our heads.

hey folks in sparring has any1 of yall got cuts, bruises, swollen face or bloody nose?

why in matches from pro fights, i see fighters get small cuts, swollen eyes, but i never see them when a busted nose, like it takes 1 hit 2 get your nose busted why non of em ever get it busted like 1st round or anything?

another thing with sparring i never hear any stories about any1 getting KO'd, why in amateur fights people get ko'd hows that possible? its only like 2min rounds
Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Headgear and bigger gloves.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
HeadBussa281

but in amateur fights u still wear head gear so how can you just get knocked out? does the gloves make that big of a diffrence going from 14oz 16oz sparring to 10oz competition?

and why pro boxers without head gear never get busted noise
Old 12-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

The gloves make a big difference, 10 oz feels different than 16 oz.

Pro's get a busted nose every now and then. Just look at the bums that are fed to up and comers, they often leave the ring in a bloody mess. The good boxers learned to avoid it by being defensively sound. That and the fact that their nose is flat on their face because it has been hit hundreds of times before.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

10 oz is sore 16 oz is a piece of piss

in my gym one of the trainers is an amazing body puncher and KO's someone in sparring evey month with a left hook to the ribs. luckily he hasnt got me yet
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #13
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I've broken my nose five times and its still big and ugly if not more so... damn Jewish ancestry...

I've never seen a KO, so to speak, in any of my amateur bouts. Whenever someone seems to get knocked down, or is about too, the refs just call it 'no contest' or whatever. It counts as a KO on the record but the damn ref step in before I can finish em...
Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In my gym, about 4 months ago, one of my trainers (a pro) sparred one of my buddies on the fight team (an amateur). He broke two of his ribs with a body shot... He's never been back to the gym... I feel thats uncalled for in sparring... Just my opinion though. Ive fought with a broken nose before but if someone hit me hard enough in the body to break a rib, resulting in me missing a competition... I would be pissed.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 AM   #15
HeadBussa281

i asked a couple people this in a msg but i want to know what yall think... why every gym i went to they say have your hands up blah blah blah, but why when you look at floyd or even amateur fighters in golden gloves.. pals on youtube everyone has there hand up... i feel like when my hands up i cant slip punches fast im moving to slow...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing