Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Which influences the choice of a fighter’s style more?

Which influences the choice of a fighter’s style the more?

1 ) His favorite fighters, and trainer.

2 ) His bodily dimensions and athletic ability.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301
Default Re: Which influences the choice of a fighter’s style more?

If he wants to be a success... #2

As big hero as Ali maybe, if you 5'8" and 230lbs, you probably ain't going to be floating like a butterfly or stinging like a bee.

Same as being 6' 5" and 210lbs probably dq's from peak-a-boo no matter how much you liked Tyson.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Which influences the choice of a fighter’s style the more?

1 ) His favorite fighters, and trainer.

2 ) His bodily dimensions and athletic ability.
His own cababilities surely,if he,s not a banger he may concentrate on his skill etc,corner men may enhance a talent but they cant invent you,George Benton for example ,was a cagey ,cautious,defensive ,boxer,but if he,s working with a crude kid with raw power which style is the fighter going to have?
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Trainer.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

All of it and more.

A boxer's inspiration may be different from his or her stylistic influences. WBC Women's Super Bantamweight champ Alejandra Marina Oliveras says her inspiration and influence is Mike Tyson, and she fights like it. Her nickname is Locomotora and it suits her.

As an amateur, my inspiration was Muhammad Ali, but his style was totally unsuited to my physical abilities. Sure, I was tall and rangy for a lightweight (5'11"), but I wasn't quick, fluid or gifted with defensive brilliance. My stylistic influences were more like Danny "Little Red" Lopez and Roberto Duran. Duran made me appreciate that a shorter guy could indeed use a jab just as effectively as a taller guy.

Training is critical, and not always necessarily in a positive way. Personally, I don't believe that Floyd Mayweather Sr. has been a good influence on Oscar DLH. Oscar was at his best when he used what George Foreman called "crow hopping" foot movement. DLH really did have a predatory look about him when he used that style to move in and out, picking opponents apart. The less mobile, shoulder rolling semi-copy of PBF doesn't suit Oscar.

Experience and adaptability are major factors. George Foreman demonstrated that during his comeback. Some boxers, like Shane Mosley, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson, demonstrated the ability to adapt mid-fight.

Natural athletic ability is the least important of these factors. Rocky Marciano proved that. Has any successful champ done more with less?
Lex is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
chliJs
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
All of it and more.

A boxer's inspiration may be different from his or her stylistic influences. WBC Women's Super Bantamweight champ Alejandra Marina Oliveras says her inspiration and influence is Mike Tyson, and she fights like it. Her nickname is Locomotora and it suits her.

As an amateur, my inspiration was Muhammad Ali, but his style was totally unsuited to my physical abilities. Sure, I was tall and rangy for a lightweight (5'11"), but I wasn't quick, fluid or gifted with defensive brilliance. My stylistic influences were more like Danny "Little Red" Lopez and Roberto Duran. Duran made me appreciate that a shorter guy could indeed use a jab just as effectively as a taller guy.

Training is critical, and not always necessarily in a positive way. Personally, I don't believe that Floyd Mayweather Sr. has been a good influence on Oscar DLH. Oscar was at his best when he used what George Foreman called "crow hopping" foot movement. DLH really did have a predatory look about him when he used that style to move in and out, picking opponents apart. The less mobile, shoulder rolling semi-copy of PBF doesn't suit Oscar.

Experience and adaptability are major factors. George Foreman demonstrated that during his comeback. Some boxers, like Shane Mosley, Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson, demonstrated the ability to adapt mid-fight.

Natural athletic ability is the least important of these factors. Rocky Marciano proved that. Has any successful champ done more with less?
i agree with most of it, but.. marciano's style was not opposed to his body's abilities. the way he nailed opponents to the ropes, diving in, constantly swinging and outworking, totally fit his size.
i can't think of one big champion who built up his whole career on a style not matching his physiques. sure, some switch their styles or fight in their bad stance if they observe weaknesses, but this is a different story.
pre-steward-wlad may have been a good fighter. he was exciting to watch, because his defensive work wasn't too good and he often let both hands fly. i don't think he completely changed, like many people suggest and start getting nostalgic about how much more entertaining old wlad was, but it's obvious he found a way to 'weaken his weaknesses'. now he's a worthy champion and you're not getting flamed to death for at least giving him underdog chances against atg's.
if you're the hearns type, and you try peekabooing, you will notice very soon that there are so many weaknesses connected you can't continue this way.

on the other hand, it's always hard to speculate on things like this, especially when mental aspects get involved. take morales' warrior attitude away and let him fight a bit more cooled down. he might have been able to outbox his 'enemies'. but wouldn't this change of personality also result in a fighter with less heart, who may have outpointed opponents just to quit the fight too soon and lose anyway?
chliJs is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #8
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It occurs to me now that Kronk revolutionized Tommy Hearn's style. When I saw him as an amateur I just didn't think he'd amount to much as a pro. He seemed awkward, didn't use his reach effectively and didn't appear to have any pop in his punches.

They say that punchers are born, not made, but Hearns may be the exception to the rule.
Lex is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 AM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
It occurs to me now that Kronk revolutionized Tommy Hearn's style. When I saw him as an amateur I just didn't think he'd amount to much as a pro. He seemed awkward, didn't use his reach effectively and didn't appear to have any pop in his punches.

They say that punchers are born, not made, but Hearns may be the exception to the rule.
Intersting call there and i don't totally disagree. Maybe Hearn's always had it in him but when Steward taught him proper leverage opponents started dropping like flies.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum