Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #32
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: When Rocky Marciano...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO
Toney's piter patter punches floored 43 opponents bruva.
43 in a 78-fight career, as compared with Marciano's 43 in 49. And about two of them were heavyweights for Toney.
Toney had better boxing technique, but Marciano was the better fighter.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #33
Club Fighter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: Bronx, New York, USA, North America, Earth, Milky Way
vCash: 1972

Many of Rocky's biggest wins came over guys suffering from geriatric-related deficiencies. Way-to-go, Rock. You're a great champ with your whole 6 title defenses. Larry Holmes KO8 Marciano.
Club Fighter is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #34
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
You mean the same Holyfield who gave Tyson fits would lose to a brawling ploddering Marciano? So you'd rate Marciano higher than Tyson?
Tyson was a good front runner but when challenged with a real heart in front of him, he folded, Evander struggled to stop Bobby Cyz who was KO'd in 2 by Corrie Sanders but he stood up to Mike and Mike quit, same with Williams,Lewis,McBride and Holyfield 2(bully bite)...Marciano would have showed him heart and toughness that he never saw. Yes I RATE Marciano over Tyson
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #35
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Fighter
Many of Rocky's biggest wins came over guys suffering from geriatric-related deficiencies. Way-to-go, Rock. You're a great champ with your whole 6 title defenses. Larry Holmes KO8 Marciano.

Walcott primed late but was still better than all of Holmes opponents, and how would you compare him next to Henry Cooper,Doug Jones,Karl Mildenburger, Do you think Charles,Moore,Walcott,Lastarza or some of the men they beat(Valdes,Satterfield,Baker could beat most of Ali's opponnets
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #36
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
43 in a 78-fight career, as compared with Marciano's 43 in 49.

Doesn't matter if you KO them with class or with raw power. Thing is that Toney did it.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #37
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Marciano would have showed him heart and toughness that he never saw. Yes I RATE Marciano over Tyson

Marciano was half the fighter Tyson was. Regarding speed,power,aggressiveness, etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #38
joe33

vCash:

Quote:

Marciano was half the fighter Tyson was. Regarding speed,power,aggressiveness, etc.
Bull he was,the guy never proved it for long enough though did he,he may well have gone on to be the best fighter ever,but come on now douglas for ****s sake knocked him into next week,and he was a nothing fighter.
Still so many haters for the rock,i guess for some people,even the thought that a white smallish awkward guy,who was a decent man still holds the all time heavyweight record must kill them,still get ****ing used to it LOL,hes never gonna be knocked off the perch,theres not a guy out there who is ever gonna get near the rocks record.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #39
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

[quote=janitor]
Quote:

That coment puts what you are saying into perspective.

I live in the UK

The press at the time made Hollyfield out to be a strong favourite.

The worst fighter to beat him was good enough that other all time greats have lost to worse.

Incidentaly I am often a Hollyfield critic.
1. You are not a professional boxer either- so that puts things into perspective.

2. The press in the UK at the time did not have Holyfield as a favourite. You are a liar, or just stupid. I cant decide which one although I would assume the later given your posting style.

3. This is a highly debatable point. One in which, neither me nor you could agree upon. However, Maskaev and Ruiz are both very high on the list of the worst heavyweight champions in the history of boxing- both of which have wins over Holyfield.
SevenSamurai is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #40
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Holy would chop Rocky's head off. Holy with power,chin,will and skills. Marciano on a stretcher.
How you can think that a fighter who has been stopped by the likes of John Ruiz and Oleg Maskaev would be able to beat an unbeaten heavweight champion of the world is beyond reasoning.

I assume you are the usual Holyfield fanboy who frequents boxing message boards on a regular basis to be delusional about your heros skills.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #41
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
How you can think that a fighter who has been stopped by the likes of John Ruiz and Oleg Maskaev would be able to beat an unbeaten heavweight champion of the world is beyond reasoning.

How you can think that a fighter who won 2 times against Mike Tyson wouldn't win against that mummy Marciano?
Even James Buster Douglas would be able to KO Marciano.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #42
SevenSamurai
3 year ESB vet.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
How you can think that a fighter who won 2 times against Mike Tyson wouldn't win against that mummy Marciano?
Even James Buster Douglas would be able to KO Marciano.
I rate a fighter over their entire career, unlike you.

If you look at Holyfields entire career, then he has displayed major weaknesses and has been beaten too many times to be considered a match for marciano.

I know from a personal point of view that you hate Marciano. I dont care either way for him, apart from thinking he is over-rated by many like you.

However, the fact that Holyfield got two good wins over a fading and mentally weak former champion like Tyson does not define his entire career like you are suggesting. If Holyfield had met the 88 Tyson it would have been very different.

Buster Douglas KO Marciano. Now that is funny.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #43
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
The better question would be what all time great would lose to somebody who was as worthless as a fighter as Maricano was and the answer would be none.Even a big bum like Tye Fields would knock Marciano out in 1 round.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #44
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano was a All time Great. Far from the bum you paint him as. On any giving night, He give any one hell.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 02:59 AM   #45
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
You mean the same Holyfield who gave Tyson fits would lose to a brawling ploddering Marciano? So you'd rate Marciano higher than Tyson?
I'd rate Marciano above both of them, yes.
Buster Douglas kicked the shit out of a prime (or close enough) Tyson. Bowe beat Holyfield 2/3.

"Oh" I hear you say "Tyson wasn't on his game that night." So what? He lost. Marciano, even on an off night, managed to win. He found a way, unlike Mike who could barely find his mouthpiece.

Holyfield was a great fighter with heart and will to win that rivals Rocky's. It would be a war, but Rocky's immense natural ruggedness and strength would carry the day. (Assuming he was brought into the modern era with contemporary nutritional and training techniques.)

Back to topic, when Marciano had you hurt it was usually only a matter of time until he got you, but maybe someone like an Ali or Holyfield could survive.
fists of fury is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum