Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Here some advices:

Marvin Hagler
Michael Moorer
Manny Pacquiao
Khaosai Galaxy
Bob Murphy
Yeah, good effort. I'd add Lew Tendler and current SFW prospect Edwin Valero to the list.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #32
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: 5 hardest punchers p4p who were southpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
I saw this guy fight a shot LaMotta and he looked pretty featherfisted to me.

It looked so because he fought a guy who had one of the best chins p4p ever you dumbass, even at this point of Jakeīs career, if Bob Murphy wasnīt a big puncher, than I really donīt know, or is it because he didnīt fight in Aliīs era?
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #33
nick wells jr
Journeyman

p4p im going with marvin hagler,maybe moorer since hagler was converted.
nick wells jr is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #34
jackiebrown
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

no dubs on big gerry cooney? ... the man was one of the hardest hitting heavyweights of all time!
jackiebrown is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #35
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
I saw this guy fight a shot LaMotta and he looked pretty featherfisted to me.
LaMotta could make lots of guys look featherfisted.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #36
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiebrown
no dubs on big gerry cooney? ... the man was one of the hardest hitting heavyweights of all time!
Yes, but not from a southpaw stance. (Ditto Joe Frazier.) Although I don't think he belongs on this list of hardest punchers, Jim Watt is classified as a southpaw. But it's my understanding that he's actually right handed, yet adopted the southpaw stance because it felt more comfortable to him. (How many of those have there been?)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #37
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Yes, but not from a southpaw stance. (Ditto Joe Frazier.) Although I don't think he belongs on this list of hardest punchers, Jim Watt is classified as a southpaw. But it's my understanding that he's actually right handed, yet adopted the southpaw stance because it felt more comfortable to him. (How many of those have there been?)
Michael Moorer was also right handed, but chose to fight out of the southpaw stance for the same reason as Jim Watt. Another southpaw bomber that deserves a mention would be Bazooka Limon... and while they weren`t southpaws, both Florentino Fernandez and Eduardo Lausse where natural left handers, and they where two of the hardest hitting middleweights I have ever seen, especially with the left hook.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #38
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
Michael Moorer was also right handed, but chose to fight out of the southpaw stance for the same reason as Jim Watt. Another southpaw bomber that deserves a mention would be Bazooka Limon... and while they weren`t southpaws, both Florentino Fernandez and Eduardo Lausse where natural left handers, and they where two of the hardest hitting middleweights I have ever seen, especially with the left hook.
Appreciate the info! That's intriguing, especially considering that Moorer is classified as the first southpaw HW champion. There have been numerous southpaws who were converted to the orthodox stance (Tyson said to be one), but I don't recall ever knowing that about Moorer and Limon being converted right handers.

Being natural left handers, it's rather remarkable that Tyson and Hagler were both known for having a devastating right. (The question of which southpaws had the best right hands might make an interesting thread out of an obscure subject matter.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #39
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Vassily Jirov at cruiser?
Mike T is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #40
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
Appreciate the info! That's intriguing, especially considering that Moorer is classified as the first southpaw HW champion. There have been numerous southpaws who were converted to the orthodox stance (Tyson said to be one), but I don't recall ever knowing that about Moorer and Limon being converted right handers.

Being natural left handers, it's rather remarkable that Tyson and Hagler were both known for having a devastating right. (The question of which southpaws had the best right hands might make an interesting thread out of an obscure subject matter.)
Duo,

Very few people know this, but believe it or not Limon was neither a natural right or left hander... he was actually ambidextrous, but he felt more comfortable fighting from the southpaw stance which is why he fought from that stance his entire career.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #41
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
Duo,

Very few people know this, but believe it or not Limon was neither a natural right or left hander... he was actually ambidextrous, but he felt more comfortable fighting from the southpaw stance which is why he fought from that stance his entire career.
Once again, that's pretty cool material. Supposedly, true ambidexterity poses serious developmental problems, but it hardly seems to have impaired him. Then again, it might explain his defensive vulnerabilities. As "Flash" Gordon wrote before he took on Arguello, "With his style, he might get hit by Skylab." (The old space station burned upon re-entering the atmosphere at the time of that fight.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #42
nick wells jr
Journeyman

nick wells in 1972.yes as an amateur and in his prime.somewhere in there i think he deserves a mention.
nick wells jr is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum