Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Albert Davila

Where do you rank him on pure boxing skill alone?
robert ungurean is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Albert Davila

Thank you for mentioning "Tweety." Haven't seen him discussed here, so it's long overdue.

Davila was one of those guys that wasn't outstanding in any one area; average power, average speed, average defense, etc., but he was always in the mix because he was so experienced and educated. His skills were unremarkable in comparison to many, but they were consistent and subtle. When all is said and done, he knew enough and had the resources to overcome fighters with maybe one glaring flaw or two. Against the real studs like Zarate and Gomez and guys like that, he would always fall short because they were simply great fighters; he was competitive with damn near everyone else though, due to his pluck and savvy nature.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
Thank you for mentioning "Tweety." Haven't seen him discussed here, so it's long overdue.

Davila was one of those guys that wasn't outstanding in any one area; average power, average speed, average defense, etc., but he was always in the mix because he was so experienced and educated. His skills were unremarkable in comparison to many, but they were consistent and subtle. When all is said and done, he knew enough and had the resources to overcome fighters with maybe one glaring flaw or two. Against the real studs like Zarate and Gomez and guys like that, he would always fall short because they were simply great fighters; he was competitive with damn near everyone else though, due to his pluck and savvy nature.
Good summetion Sal, couldn`t agre with you more. I will add though that Alberto was deadly accurate and had an uncanny sense of timing. He would routinely catch his opponents on the way in or as they were in the process of throwing their own punches.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Actually thought he was outboxing Zarate for a good portion of their fight, but he just couldn't deal with his power (who could?).

I've just got a hold of his rematch with Lupe Pintor, and I look forward to seeing it, have heard it's a cracking bout.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Doc McCoy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
I've just got a hold of his rematch with Lupe Pintor, and I look forward to seeing it, have heard it's a cracking bout.
It sure is! Pintor was in plenty of great scraps and this one is right up there.
Doc McCoy is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy
It sure is! Pintor was in plenty of great scraps and this one is right up there.
I'll give it a watch right now and return with a scorecard (I hear the decision is controversial).
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The thrashing he gets from Miguel Lora in their first fight is a thing of beauty
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'll give it a watch right now and return with a scorecard (I hear the decision is controversial).
Just watched it. A superb fight, with a great mixture of boxing in the first half of the fight and slugging in the second half.

Davilla did well early, befuddling Pintor with his quicker combos, but Lupe is a beast and when it came time to rumble he overwhelmed Davila, who by the way showed a ton of heart to stay in there and try and match terms with Lupe till the end.

I had it 145-143 for Pintor, and felt it could have maybe been a little wider in Pintor's favour. He dominated down the stretch, sweeping the last four rounds on my card to take it. At best Davila deserved a draw, there's no question in my mind he didn't do enough to win.

Rounds 2,3,5,7, and 11 for Davila.
Rounds 4,8,10,12,13,14 and 15 for Pintor.
Rounds 1, 6 and 9 even.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Just watched it. A superb fight, with a great mixture of boxing in the first half of the fight and slugging in the second half.

Davilla did well early, befuddling Pintor with his quicker combos, but Lupe is a beast and when it came time to rumble he overwhelmed Davila, who by the way showed a ton of heart to stay in there and try and match terms with Lupe till the end.

I had it 145-143 for Pintor, and felt it could have maybe been a little wider in Pintor's favour. He dominated down the stretch, sweeping the last four rounds on my card to take it. At best Davila deserved a draw, there's no question in my mind he didn't do enough to win.

Rounds 2,3,5,7, and 11 for Davila.
Rounds 4,8,10,12,13,14 and 15 for Pintor.
Rounds 1, 6 and 9 even.
Pintor's a super fighter, one of my early faves. How do you rate him? He's a bit forgotten by most now.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Pintor's a super fighter, one of my early faves. How do you rate him? He's a bit forgotten by most now.
Haven't seen all that much of him JT, just the Gomez, Zarate, Owen and Davila fights, but he is clearly an elite fighter. His grit, determination and chin are top notch and his boxing skills don't lag that far behind.

I had him losing to Zarate by a point (and always felt the robbery call was a little overblown), but nevertheless, to be supremely competitve with Zarate and Gomez (though a little past their best as both were) tells you how good he was.

He'd probably just be outside the top ten bantams of all time I'd say. I'd have the following before him: Eder Jofre, Carlos Zarate, Terry McGovern, Ruben Olivares, Fighting Harada, Manuel Ortiz, Erik Morales, Jeff Fenech, Owen Moran, Panama Al Brown, but he'd be right in the mix with the likes of Lionel Rose, Jeff Chandler, Khaosai Galaxy and the like just underneath those guys.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #11
Cobra33
Contender
ESB Senior Member

How bad did Lora thrash Davila?I've always thought Lora doesn't get enough mention.
Cobra33 is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It was a near shutout and he basically made a complete monkey of him.

To be fair to Davila he was starting to slow down by this point and was finished by the time they fought again.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #13
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Haven't seen all that much of him JT, just the Gomez, Zarate, Owen and Davila fights, but he is clearly an elite fighter. His grit, determination and chin are top notch and his boxing skills don't lag that far behind.

I had him losing to Zarate by a point (and always felt the robbery call was a little overblown), but nevertheless, to be supremely competitve with Zarate and Gomez (though a little past their best as both were) tells you how good he was.

He'd probably just be outside the top ten bantams of all time I'd say. I'd have the following before him: Eder Jofre, Carlos Zarate, Terry McGovern, Ruben Olivares, Fighting Harada, Manuel Ortiz, Erik Morales, Jeff Fenech, Owen Moran, Panama Al Brown, but he'd be right in the mix with the likes of Lionel Rose, Jeff Chandler, Khaosai Galaxy and the like just underneath those guys.
That's a fair shout. I class him as just reaching the "great" category i think. Excellent left hook up and down, that sucker wore down many a decent foe.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum