Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Smithson
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Default Sparred my first southpaw today

Alright people iv only had a handful of fights never fought a southpaw and not really sparred any my weight until tonight and I struggled.

Got caught with his backhand several times and I'm normally quite hard to hit so iv been told, he had a low lead hand so I thought I would catch him much easier but I could barely land my jab on him I kept hitting his shoulder. Only time I had succes is when I got him against the ropes and let my shots go but even then I struggled to hit him clean on the head it was mainly body shots.

Any give any tips? Back in with him on Friday. He's had 9 fights iv had 4 so he is more experienced but not by alot, I should be doing better.
Smithson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

a good southpaw will win the jabbing war. you need to use the right hand more, dont load up on it just touch him with it to set stuff up
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
Joejr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,908
vCash: 71
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Come in low and headbutt the shit out of him, headbutts can do serious damage
Joejr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
GrenadeHand
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Circle to your Left and keep your Left Foot outside of his Right Foot
GrenadeHand is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
Joejr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,908
vCash: 71
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenadeHand View Post
Circle to your Left and keep your Left Foot outside of his Right Foot
And headbutt, headbutt the shit out of him
Joejr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 515
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Circle to your left and and use your right hand more often followed by a left hook.
When you get inside left uppercut right straight. When he comes with the jab you come in with your right or come over the top with your left hook and right hand.
Smart agression and pressure will usually **** them up, if you let him be the sniper youre in trouble.
A good lefty is very tricky to deal with.
Any way this is how i fight them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by pecho26; 07-15-2014 at 06:46 AM.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #7
Smithson
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
Circle to your left and and use your right hand more often followed by a left hook.
When you get inside left uppercut right straight. When he comes with the jab you come in with your right or come over the top with your left hook and right hand.
Smart agression and pressure will usually **** them up, if you let him be the sniper youre in trouble.
A good lefty is very tricky to deal with.
Any way this is how i fight them. Hope this helps.
Yeah I only had succes when I put pressure on him I'm a tall rangy type I like to press the action but from distance but I work off my jab but this guy was jabbing my head off lol then he was landing his back hand

Thanks for the advice everyone I'm looking forward to getting back in Friday
Smithson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 515
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithson View Post
Yeah I only had succes when I put pressure on him I'm a tall rangy type I like to press the action but from distance but I work off my jab but this guy was jabbing my head off lol then he was landing his back hand

Thanks for the advice everyone I'm looking forward to getting back in Friday
The thing is you cant win the jabbing game against a good southpaw unless he is a complete novice.
He has been fighting righties his whole life so its normal to him.Just be careful that you dont load up on your right hand and dont throw single shots.
As well try t slip his left hand and clock him with your right.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Smithson
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecho26 View Post
The thing is you cant win the jabbing game against a good southpaw unless he is a complete novice.
He has been fighting righties his whole life so its normal to him.Just be careful that you dont load up on your right hand and dont throw single shots.
As well try t slip his left hand and clock him with your right.
I'm quite comfortable switching to southpaw myself do you think this is a good way to go against a leftie? I throw quite a good jab from the southpaw position but I was not sure weather to try it on this guy or not.

I was circling to my left last night with this guy it helped me avoid the backhands but he threw a good hook with his right hand which tagged my a few times. Like I said earlier there's not a big difference between us in Experiance or skill wise but this guy was hitting me like he was a pro lol
Smithson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 515
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithson View Post
I'm quite comfortable switching to southpaw myself do you think this is a good way to go against a leftie? I throw quite a good jab from the southpaw position but I was not sure weather to try it on this guy or not.

I was circling to my left last night with this guy it helped me avoid the backhands but he threw a good hook with his right hand which tagged my a few times. Like I said earlier there's not a big difference between us in Experiance or skill wise but this guy was hitting me like he was a pro lol
Well if this is your first encounter with a southpaw you will get even more tagged if you switch stances imho.Well ofc he is going to tag you, he is used to fight that way.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Try watching some Hopkins vids against southpaws. Another technique that I find quite helpful is setting up the right with a left hook. I throw the left hook first then when he blocks it, I quickly throw the right. Works most of the time.
SweetScience is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 991
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Draw him into leading- use your height advantage, feint him, step back a half step. Counter his left hand with your; by that I mean as he throws his, you throw yours, punch with him. Your left hand is closer to him than his is to you.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 515
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Draw him into leading- use your height advantage, feint him, step back a half step. Counter his left hand with your; by that I mean as he throws his, you throw yours, punch with him. Your left hand is closer to him than his is to you.
This is pretty good advice as well.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
Smithson
newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

Thanks for the info people my second spar with this guy was completely different. I'm a 6 2 73/74kg fighter so naturally I'm use to fighting people shorter than me and using my jab. I realised against a tricky southpaw I had to change it up.

I went for him straight away got up close worked his body as much as poss kept moving away from his left and threw more right hands than jabs. Every time he tried getting any space away from me I jumped on him again jabbed my way in and let rip.

my trainers have always said I need to work the Inside more even thou I'm tall at the weight they said i throw good shots up close but iv never really had the confidence to do it. Iv had 4 fights won my first two easily as they were shorter guys than me and kept them at range but my last two they were both similar height to me and I could not quite outjab them and it threw me off completely.

This experience with this southpaw has give me confidence to fight out of my comfort zone, can't wait for next season. Thanks to everyone who posted
Smithson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 542
vCash: 2468
Default Re: Sparred my first southpaw today

I find it is A LOT easier to fight a southpaw then box them. That being said, I personally love jabbing over a southpaws jab. A lot of my sparring partners have been lefties so I've gotten used to doing the jab war with them.
Lartize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013