Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
TheRock49
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: do you still run when it's below 0?

How about contributing some thing and helping the poster out, instead of argueing? It's Christmas time damnit!!!
TheRock49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
Everything so personal?? Hows that. All your past replies to my posts have had a sarcastic tone to it so I figured this was the same...it sounded like you were saying that me overrating running was the same as overrating conditioning.
No. You misunderstood what I was saying. What's your experience by the way, just out of curiosity?
amy is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #18
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
No. You misunderstood what I was saying. What's your experience by the way, just out of curiosity?
Ok. No harm then, misunderstanding. And I've been sparring and training on and off for 5 years and competed in the Golden Gloves.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #19
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

ok, cool

Our experience is different. I approach conditioning from the perspective of a open-class competitor who fights 4 round fights and competes in mainly week long tournaments. Either way, the majority of amateurs vastly underrate conditioning.
amy is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
ok, cool

Our experience is different. I approach conditioning from the perspective of a open-class competitor who fights 4 round fights and competes in mainly week long tournaments. Either way, the majority of amateurs vastly underrate conditioning.
Cool. I wish there were week long tournaments here...Golden Gloves out here is like 2 1/2 months long.

I was also a wrestler in highschool and I rate the conditioning it takes to do that very closely with boxing. I am also a former personal trainer, so I would say I am very familiar the ins and outs of training techniques even though my competitive experience is not as vast as others.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #21
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijo View Post
I thought it was hot all year round with the occasional hurricane in Florida?
It makes me feel better though, we don't get all the shit weather, ha ha.
I used to live in New York for a couple of years and i was at a kickboxing tournament in northern China where the temperature was at -30 degrees celsius and we still had to run outside so that was pretty brutal. Florida is nice now but now it rains like every day.....
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461

What Amy says is true some people at my gym dont take conditioning as a priority. To me it is so important because stamina can sometimes win you the fight and be crucial in the outcome. Once you get tired its game over.
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM   #23
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Conditioning is NUMBER 1.

Everything is affected by your conditioning, everything. Footwoork, speed, punch resistance, power. No boxer should take conditioning lightly. In fact, that is my number 1 priority.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #24
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
Conditioning is NUMBER 1.

Everything is affected by your conditioning, everything. Footwoork, speed, punch resistance, power. No boxer should take conditioning lightly. In fact, that is my number 1 priority.
That's what I was getting at. I've seen guys who are very skilled lose fights because they didn't take their conditioning seriously, or they thought sparring was enough. If you're tired, keeping your skills together is the first thing to go.

I'd say 90% of my wins are due to my opponents not being in as good of condition as me.
amy is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
pijo
Feed the Pope
ESB Addict

vCash: 106

How often do you think you should do say sprints a week, I currently do around 3/12-5 miles five times a week and boxing training 4 times. I know I should throw in some interval training but how much would you recommend a week?
pijo is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #26
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
That's what I was getting at. I've seen guys who are very skilled lose fights because they didn't take their conditioning seriously, or they thought sparring was enough. If you're tired, keeping your skills together is the first thing to go.

I'd say 90% of my wins are due to my opponents not being in as good of condition as me.
You are absolutely right about too many people relying on sparring for their conditioning. Sparring is really only half of it. I mean, a running back only runs half heartedly in scrimmages. But he goes out on the field by himself and busts his ass with sprints and stairs and parachute runs etc. If he just focused on the scrimmaging part, he would never be conditioned enough for a real game.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #27
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijo View Post
How often do you think you should do say sprints a week, I currently do around 3/12-5 miles five times a week and boxing training 4 times. I know I should throw in some interval training but how much would you recommend a week?
three probably. Just throw sprints into your workouts where you can, but be sure to have a day in between that you don't do them.
amy is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #28
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Just try to remember with sprints, be it tabatas or hills, as with any sort of training, you will experience plateau. I've been concentrating, or trying to, to do different types of sprints, and then if my weight is ok heading into a fight...have it set up so that I am maxing out with a good intense sprint atleast 3-4 times a week right up until rest before fight time.

It doesn't always work out that great because of variables such as having to cut weight etc. (where i'd likely be jogging more), but it is something I am trying to shoot for. So right now, I am not sprinting, but have a big tournament end of Feb...so hopefully can build up to having my cardio be peaking by 4-6 weeks of intense sprint build up.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #29
loveforboxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones View Post
i run outdoors no matter what the weather, 0 degrees, 100 degrees, rain, sleet and snow. for the freezing cold of course i wear my layers and sometimes coat my face with vaseline to avoid wind burn. ice cold rain in the ears can be a bitch though and lead to headaches. even with a skully and hoody on it can be hard to avoid. from past experiences i've learned my lesson with running through puddles too - that puddle might be a pothole filled with water.

good to hear there is somebody in the US that is also running when 99.9% of society stay indoors I like the attitude
loveforboxing is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #30
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveforboxing View Post
Here in Chicago is freezing. I went for a run. People were looking kind of weird at me. Do you run when it's below 0?
Yes and it doesnt matter what the outside temperature is. That will not affect you so much. Its aboslutely crucial that you maintaining your heat during and after your run through proper clothing and not try to cool yourself down suddenly.

Its an olympic practice to cover the athlete with a jacket or shower them with warm water after performing as during the end they are specially susceptible to the cold.

Any form of vigorous exercise is subjecting your body to stress. Add exposure to cold air and your immunity actually drops.

Stay warm during and after your run. Conversely, dont overheat yourself either. Shower in 37c water and allow your system to carry out its natural self cooling mechanism so as to stabilise your body temperature.
Pugsley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing