Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Convince me about Harry Greb

I have nothing against dead fighters, however some people on this site rate Greb as a top 3 p4p without seeing one of his fights - that is stupidity.

Also nobody seems to be arguing against my point that he was gifted decisions over black fighters.....

The era in which he fought was a racist and black fighters that did or would have beaten Greb where brushed under the carpet.
True Writer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM   #32
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

maybe he wasnt gifted desicions against black fighters

just because boxing then was rascist didnt mean every black fighter beat every white fihghter
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #33
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Thats true but if you read about his fights against black fighters, there is usually a foot note saying most people ringside felt Greb was beaten.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #34
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

havent really researched greb that much just know he beat alot of good names so your probably right
Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 PM   #35
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Unless you get to Tiger Flowers, were people said Greb was robbed. Both times.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #36
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

thats karma
Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #37
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think its just crazy to rate a man so highly as people do without;

Seeing any of his fights

while fighting in an era where black fighters where not competing on a level playing field.

So all those dicks that levelled persinal insults at me - how do they counter this and where do they rate greb?
Old 12-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #38
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Harry Greb use no color bar. Hell he was color blind when it came to fighting the best.
Its not Greb's fault all of his fights are lost. Most of 75 percent film, world wide from the 20's, and back are good forever. blame the 50's when they burn the films for fire hazard.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #39
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Writer View Post
I think its just crazy to rate a man so highly as people do without;

Seeing any of his fights

while fighting in an era where black fighters where not competing on a level playing field.

So all those dicks that levelled persinal insults at me - how do they counter this and where do they rate greb?
So was that a yes...?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #40
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

... this is shaping up as expected.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 PM   #41
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Writer View Post
I have nothing against dead fighters, however some people on this site rate Greb as a top 3 p4p without seeing one of his fights - that is stupidity.
Take peoples top 10 "pound for pound" lists with a pinch of salt. It's not a level playing field. The consistency of evidence just isn't there for each fighter. Ok, some people may well have seen more fights of one fighter compared to another. I'm not suggesting anyone needs to view the exact same amount of footage for each fighter within a list for things to be done accurately. But question marks float around such lists when the person doing the placements has seen no footage of one fighter, and 15-20 fights of another.

Reading books, studying records, and building up a picture of a fighter when no footage exists of him is only part of the jigsaw.

However, Greb can't be excluded from such lists due to lack of footage. It's unfair on him as a fighter and his era.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #42
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What black fighters did Greb get gifts against? He beat Jack Blackburn fair and square, he beat Willie Lewis fair and square, his first fight with Norfolk was a ND bout so it couldnt have been a gift. His second fight with Norfolk he was DQ'd but many felt Norfolk was as at fault as Harry, no gift there, his first fight with Flowers was a ND and people argued that both of his championship fights with Flowers were close and could have gone either way but he lost them, no gift there. He won every round of his fight with Allentown Joe Gans, no gift there. So tell me who did he win gifts over???? Also, so what if there is no film of him. There is no film of a TON of great fighters does that mean we should disregard their accomplishments? I personally have film of a ton of Greb's opponents and the mere fact that he was beating those guys multiple times on his busy schedule blind in one eye etc etc is extremely impressive. If you want to disregard him because you havent seen him fine but you might as well disregard the civil war also...
klompton is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #43
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post
What black fighters did Greb get gifts against? He beat Jack Blackburn fair and square, he beat Willie Lewis fair and square, his first fight with Norfolk was a ND bout so it couldnt have been a gift. His second fight with Norfolk he was DQ'd but many felt Norfolk was as at fault as Harry, no gift there, his first fight with Flowers was a ND and people argued that both of his championship fights with Flowers were close and could have gone either way but he lost them, no gift there. He every round of his fight with Allentown Joe Gans, no gift there. So tell me who did he win gifts over???? Also, so what if there is no film of him. There is no film of a TON of great fighters does that mean we should disregard their accomplishments? I personally have film of a ton of Greb's opponents and the mere fact that he was beating those guys multiple times on his busy schedule blind in one eye etc etc is extremely impressive. If you want to disregard him because you havent seen him fine but you might as well disregard the civil war also...
POW! Especially like that last bit.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #44
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It amazes me sometimes that some people seem to think no human being could hit hard before HBO...
klompton is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #45
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by klompton View Post
It amazes me sometimes that some people seem to think no human being could hit hard before HBO...
Get 'em!!!...Sic 'em!!!...klompton.
dpw417 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum