Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #46
Ted Spoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Convince me about Harry Greb

With Greb it is quite simple:

We do have film of the men he beat and his actual record boasts a level of depth that is very probably unrivaled.

A hectic swarmer whose demented ring conduct was quite clearly too much to handle for almost anyone in every weight.
Ted Spoon is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #47
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Writer View Post
I think its just crazy to rate a man so highly as people do without;
We might all be crazy here but:

Quote:
Seeing any of his fights
We have footage of his oponents:

Tunney was great pound for pound

Loughran was great pound for pound

Walker was great pound for pound

etc etc

Quote:
while fighting in an era where black fighters where not competing on a level playing field.
The irony of what you are saying is that Greb was the only top white fighter of the period who gave fights and title shots to the top black fighters without asking questions.

If they ever got a level playing field it was Greb.

Quote:
So all those dicks that levelled persinal insults at me - how do they counter this and where do they rate greb?
I am sorry for the personal insults levelled against you.

That is not what I wanted.

There have been a few punk kids who brought the same argument (as you) less respectfully and that has made people wary/hostile about the anti Greb crowd.

Sorry and Merry Christmas
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #48
BIG DEE
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

BIG DEE HERE= Learn your boxing history son as Harry Greb is as good as any fighter in history of the game. He was the greatest middleweight who ever stepped into the squared circle. We have seen his opponents on film for years and we damn well know
how good they were. He not only devastated the Middleweight dev. but destroyed every Lt. Heavyweght champion who would fight him as his big problem was there wasn`t any title on the line when they fought him. I have the guy rated in the top
ten Lt.Heavyweights of all time because of who he beat. Jack Dillon, Battling Levinsky,
Mike McTigue, Tommy Loughran, Jimmy Slatterey and Maxie Rosenbloom/ Harry Greb fought every great fighter of his time regardless of size or weight if they would fight him.
Greb`s ring record stands alone as the single greatest body of work in boxing history
bar none. Young man I suggest you study Harry Greb`s record before you make judgement of him and as far as the films go watch him on the speed bag it shows what guys had to deal with then. The bag he`s hitting isn`t a peanut bag so many hit today'
but a big striking bag which is 13" or better and he making it a blur. To do that you really have to hit the thing hard like your hitting an opponent in the ring. KLOMPTON
ARE YOU STEVE COMPTON??
BIG DEE is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 AM   #49
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
But look at the man - I'd fancy my chances to be honest.
I wouldn't!
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #50
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I have nothing against dead fighters, however some people on this site rate Greb as a top 3 p4p without seeing one of his fights - that is stupidity.

Also nobody seems to be arguing against my point that he was gifted decisions over black fighters.....

The era in which he fought was a racist and black fighters that did or would have beaten Greb where brushed under the carpet.
Well that makes me stupid then.It's official!
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #51
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I see alot of people on this site putting Greb in their top ten p4p. Little footage of him exists pretty much the only footage I can find is;

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Its all very well to say he beat this guy and that guy but one of Hearn's farts would probably KO him.

Its fair to say that he does not look much - his legs are skinny his body looks weak. Someone needs to convince me big time that this guy is serious.

Is Greb just rated so highly because boxing was less professional, less scientific and less skillful in his day? It also seems, from what I read that he was the recipient of some fortunate decisions over black fighters, is this another reason that he prospered - because black fighters where cheated or prevented from challanging the white fighters.
Klompton is probably the man to enlighten you on Greb.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #52
timmers612
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Big Dee, well said!
timmers612 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #53
klompton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG DEE View Post
KLOMPTON
ARE YOU STEVE COMPTON??

yup
klompton is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #54
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
But look at the man - I'd fancy my chances to be honest.
I was going to read through the responses, but this ends the thread for me.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #55
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

I knew K-Man would surface to answer speculation with fact ... Greb is an all time top five pound for pound great ... his standing has been verified by the men he fought ... it is fair to ask if you do not know or are not sure but I think the question has been answered ,,,
he grant is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #56
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Its fair to say that he does not look much - his legs are skinny his body looks weak. Someone needs to convince me big time that this guy is serious.
I think bodybuilding might be your true calling.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #57
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote=janitor;3121954]
Quote:

The irony of what you are saying is that Greb was the only top white fighter of the period who gave fights and title shots to the top black fighters without asking questions.

If they ever got a level playing field it was Greb.

The color barrier was a lose/lose situation for both black and white fighters. Just as we can never have a full estimate of a given white fighter's abilities because he only fought among a select group, the same can be said of a given black fighter. Ergo, we do not know exactly how good - for instance- Harry Wills was because he was largely restricted to fighting fellow black fighters. When he did take on more whites, he was probably past his peak. What I am saying is that the argument can be made both ways, and in the end, both sets of fighters lose something.

And in regards to Greb, he actually did fight his share of black fighters so it is more a moot point in his case.

Lastly, this thread is perfectly legitimate and worthwhile, if even in the posture of a devil's advocate.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #58
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post

The color barrier was a lose/lose situation for both black and white fighters. Just as we can never have a full estimate of a given white fighter's abilities because he only fought among a select group, the same can be said of a given black fighter. Ergo, we do not know exactly how good - for instance- Harry Wills was because he was largely restricted to fighting fellow black fighters. When he did take on more whites, he was probably past his peak. What I am saying is that the argument can be made both ways, and in the end, both sets of fighters lose something.

And in regards to Greb, he actually did fight his share of black fighters so it is more a moot point in his case.

Lastly, this thread is perfectly legitimate and worthwhile, if even in the posture of a devil's advocate.
Well said.

And let's remember that white guys weren't the only ones who could be prone to avoid black fighters once they got a belt. See Jack Johnson.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #59
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

No love for Greb embarrassing Dempsey in sparring?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #60
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
No love for Greb embarrassing Dempsey in sparring?
I for one don't put all that much weight there. It's sparring. I think it highly likely that a prime Dempsey would have eventually went through Greb in an actual bout.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum