Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #16
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cotto better than Kessler??

Cotto's resume right now looks much better than Kessler's...but a win over Slapzaghe should bump Kessler over Cotto...
Jinx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #17
jecxbox
St. Brett
ESB Addict

Quote:
Cotto is a two division champion with wins over fighters like DeMarcus Corley, Ricardo Torres, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], Carlos Quintana, Oktay Urkal, Paulie Malinaggi, Carlos Maussa and Randel Baily.

Kessler has beatin Marcus Beyer.......... Librado Andrade and the GREAT Anthony Mundine.

Cotto's higher unless Kessler beats Calzaghe.
agreed. ...Belts don't mean shit anyways..Cotto has faced exellent B+ level fighters and manhandled them.

Cottos 30-0 record has great opposition and he has already fought many different styles and has gotten past them all.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
jecxbox is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #18
Gneus7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion
Cotto has much better wins and has been successful in two different weight classes. Obviously he's better P4P than Kessler.
I agree, I think if u can do it in more than 1 weight it shows p4p quality.
Gneus7 is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #19
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-boxer42
I have a couple of problems with your post. Kessler being a double cahmpion, trple quadruple doesnt mean anything because those are usless belts. The fighter skill and competiton level especially in the last five fights is what matters. Yes hes unbeaten in more fights, because hes fought more easy competition then Cotto. Kessler hasnt fought and beaten as many high level fighters as Cotto and definitly hasnt destroyed them like he has either. In my book if your destroying your(high level) competition, your pound 4 pound.
Could we shut this thread down

This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads I read in a while. To even think one would rank Kessler over Cotto would be close to blasphamy.....if Kessler was to beat Calzaghe then we could discuss this but until then his name should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Cotto. Sorry but this is more fact than opinion.

Last edited by the_what; 04-30-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #20
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Cotto's resume is only marginally better. Zab is slightly better than anyone Kessler has faced. Quintana etc... are no better than fighters like Mundine, Beyer and Siaca in all seriousness. Quintana is simply better known in America.

Resumes won't change the fact Kessler is the superior fighter.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #21
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
Cotto is the flemsiest two division champ I have ever seen. He his 140 lb. title was a vacant title that he won by beating the immortal Kelson Pinto. His WW title was another vacant title that he wasn't even supposed to be fighting for. His promoter paid Urkal step aside money so that he could fight Quintana for another vacant title.
Pinto? Quintana ? WTF are they?
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #22
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisputedUK
Neither one of them were beltholders
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #23
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Cotto's resume is only marginally better. Zab is slightly better than anyone Kessler has faced. Quintana etc... are no better than fighters like Mundine, Beyer and Siaca in all seriousness. Quintana is simply better known in America.

Resumes won't change the fact Kessler is the superior fighter.
I don't get it how has Kessler shown he is the better fighter? please elaborate?

Cotto has the overall edge in boxing ability when comparing P4p what can Kessler do physically that Cotto can't?

Cotto is a much better inside fighter cuts off the ring better and attacks the body in a much more effective manner. For example a fighter who rarely used his legs and stayed in the pocket all night for Kessler (Libarade) was able to finish the fight, a fighter of that caliber would have been brutally stopped around the 9th round against Cotto his body work would have halted a fighter of that level.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #24
King Dan
Sugar Shane/Bad Chad
ESB Addict

vCash: 129

Cotto and Kessler are close in terms of pound for pound status.

In terms of competition, Cotto slightly edges Kessler.

Pound for pound matchup, I'd lean towards Kessler.
King Dan is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #25
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisputedUK
You can say the same for Kessler's record.

Listen I think Kessler's a solid fighter with great tools but he's no Cotto at this point, your also talking about a weight class that's is filled with a lot less talent than WW, or JrWW for that matter (Not the current version of JrWW though)
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #26
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dan
Cotto and Kessler are close in terms of pound for pound status.

In terms of competition, Cotto slightly edges Kessler.

Pound for pound matchup, I'd lean towards Kessler.
Fair enough

What seperates them in my opinoin in Cotto's ability to cut off the ring and his body work, Kessler has good fundementals but Cotto has shown he can work fighters from the outside as well, countering and using his jab. Overall I think Cotto is more versitial.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #27
Astola
Its a fact.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper
Fair enough

What seperates them in my opinoin in Cotto's ability to cut off the ring and his body work, Kessler has good fundementals but Cotto has shown he can work fighters from the outside as well, countering and using his jab. Overall I think Cotto is more versitial.

Ive been following both fighters pretty close and I am convinced that a p4p matchup would be to Kesslers advantage.

Cotto's resume is better than Kessler's, but overall I strongly think that Kessler is both more versatile, adaptive and technically more sound = the better fighter.

Cotto is a superb pressure fighter with extreme pop that breaks ribs. His fundamentals are very good but not perfect. He is so fascinating because of the extreme bodyshots and the enourmous pressure he puts to the ring.

On the other hand:
Kessler is a very smart technically almost flawless fighter that takes away his opponent without being hurt himself(!).

Kessler would thrash Cotto in a p4p matchup. Keep Cotto at a distance untill Cotto quits in the corner.No doubt in my mind.
Astola is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #28
King Dan
Sugar Shane/Bad Chad
ESB Addict

vCash: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astola
Ive been following both fighters pretty close and I am convinced that a p4p matchup would be to Kesslers advantage.

Cotto's resume is better than Kessler's, but overall I strongly think that Kessler is both more versatile, adaptive and technically more sound = the better fighter.

Cotto is a superb pressure fighter with extreme pop that breaks ribs. His fundamentals are very good but not perfect. He is so fascinating because of the extreme bodyshots and the enourmous pressure he puts to the ring.

On the other hand:
Kessler is a very smart technically almost flawless fighter that takes away his opponent without being hurt himself(!).

Kessler would thrash Cotto in a p4p matchup. Keep Cotto at a distance untill Cotto quits in the corner.No doubt in my mind.

I'm a huge Cotto fan and I actually agree with this assessment.
Although "thrash" might be a little harsh.
King Dan is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #29
Astola
Its a fact.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dan
[/size][/b]

I'm a huge Cotto fan and I actually agree with this assessment.
Although "thrash" might be a little harsh.

I know its harsh but in this matchup I dont give Cotto many chances...

It would be pretty onesided
Astola is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #30
mc50341
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASH_718
Cotto is a two division champion with wins over fighters like DeMarcus Corley, Ricardo Torres, Zab Judah, Carlos Quintana, Oktay Urkal, Paulie Malinaggi, Carlos Maussa and Randel Baily.

Kessler has beatin Marcus Beyer.......... Librado Andrade and the GREAT Anthony Mundine.

Cotto's higher unless Kessler beats Calzaghe.

I am wondering, what the heck have fighters like Corley, Torres, Quintana, Maussa, Baily, Urkal etc achieved since you rate them better than Siaca, Lucas, Mundine, Beyer and Andrade?

Cotto won a late win against Judah (who by the way have not won one single fight worth mention in over two years) and now everybody see him as some divine gift to boxing. We will know much more when he enters the ring next time together with Mosley.

I do not think you can compare Kessler and Cotto yet, they are both great fighter and still rising stars.
mc50341 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum