Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
newbridgeboxing
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 349
vCash: 700
Default The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Who has impressed the most ?

David Haye
Ricky Hatton
Joe Calzaghe
Gavin Rees
Amir Khan
Carl Froch
Nicky Cook
Kevin Mitchell
Bradley Pryce

I know who i'd pick but views please !!
newbridgeboxing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: trying to increase my overdraft....
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbridgeboxing View Post
Who has impressed the most ?

David Haye
Ricky Hatton
Joe Calzaghe
Gavin Rees
Amir Khan
Carl Froch
Nicky Cook
Kevin Mitchell
Bradley Pryce

I know who i'd pick but views please !!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Joe Calzaghe.

Hopkins is a far tougher fight than any of the others have encountered this year and he came through. None of the others have done anything to match that on a level playing field. Unless we judge Calzaghe by extremely high standards and the others lower the answer is Joe Calzaghe.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South London
Posts: 13,023
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Haye with Froch a close 2nd, I go for Haye because he took out Enzo with sheer confidence and power and also done a good job on Barrett.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: trying to increase my overdraft....
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

I felt Calzaghe lost against Hopkins......

But still, credit to him.

Had he taken out Jones, rather than carried him, I may have given him the award.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Haye
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Haye has beat Enzo and Barrett. They were two gimmies regardless of the style in which he did it.

Only numpties were ever thinking like either of them had a chance.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
newbridgeboxing
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 349
vCash: 700
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Haye has beat Enzo and Barrett. They were two gimmies regardless of the style in which he did it.

Only numpties were ever thinking like either of them had a chance.
Hey man ! My man Enzo had a good chance he just lost his head !

Enzo will get his just rewards MARK my words
newbridgeboxing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbridgeboxing View Post
Hey man ! My man Enzo had a good chance he just lost his head !
No worries the janitor picked it up in Row Z.

He had a 1 in 100 chance. At my bookmakers he would be 100/1 no problem. I would have made a fortune on people on here, dumbasses that made it seem like that was a 50/50 60/40 type fight.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Enzo was the second best cruiser in the world, we all know that, we've seen it posted enough times.

Hattons return after taking a beating has been very understated, imo. Despite what people say, he barely dropped a round to Lascano (it was a very enjoyable fight as well), and dare I say it, outclassed, no1 contender Pauli. I think he has showed good heart to come back from the near schooling Floyd gave him.

If Floyd was 43, and recently twice beaten, then Hatton squeaked a SD by him, and then Floyd outclassed a brawler from two weights down - would Hatton be fighter of the year? I jest...

I will give it to Calzaghe, but mainly because the others have either been preparing for their own big days, or rebuilding from defeat.
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Haye.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli View Post
Enzo was the second best cruiser in the world, we all know that, we've seen it posted enough times.

Hattons return after taking a beating has been very understated, imo. Despite what people say, he barely dropped a round to Lascano (it was a very enjoyable fight as well), and dare I say it, outclassed, no1 contender Pauli. I think he has showed good heart to come back from the near schooling Floyd gave him.

If Floyd was 43, and recently twice beaten, then Hatton squeaked a SD by him, and then Floyd outclassed a brawler from two weights down - would Hatton be fighter of the year? I jest...

I will give it to Calzaghe, but mainly because the others have either been preparing for their own big days, or rebuilding from defeat.
That is pretty much it. If anybody else had done something worth a shit in elite terms, Calzaghe would lose....for once.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 1075
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

It's hard to pick Calzaghe, because he got dropped by Hopkins and laboured to a win. And he nearly got KO'd by a shot Roy Jones JR.

I'd go with Haye, he dispatched of two good opponents with ease.
onourway is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #14
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

Haye got dropped by Barrett.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,890
vCash: 1075
Default Re: The Best British Boxer of 2008 ?

No, he didn't.

If a goal gets ruled out for offside in football, but the replays show it was actually a legitimate goal....do we count it as a goal? No, we don't. It's no different in boxing.
onourway is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013