Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,816
vCash: 1166
Default mundines ko by ottke

i just watched the replay again for the first time in ages and i still cant believe that that punch was capable of ko'ing him.
it was little more than a tap. it was probably the softest punch ottke landed all night. i know his head twisted quite sharply so maybe that was the cause but i just cant see how the impact from the punch could put him to sleep.


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
buster007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
pecks
*****
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 1908
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Loaded gloves.

Thread closed.
pecks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 AM   #3
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulldogs v Titans 2013 GF
Posts: 7,740
vCash: 2611
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
Loaded gloves.

Thread closed.


There is more to this than meets the eyes
teke is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: GAME MATCH POINT
Posts: 6,073
vCash: 1000
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Where can I send that bale of hay to Teke?
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Anenigma
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Mundine was cometely fatigued and it was the easiest way out for him, he didn't even spar back in those days so he was in completely uncharted waters.
I have been waiting to see how his career panned out to see if this assesment was correct, and after watching him completly waste his talent I believe this to be correct,because in the back of his mind the decision he made that night obviously still haunts him.

People need to remember only a chin shot knocks you out like that a temple shot affects your equilibrium and makes you disorientsted but doesn't knock you cold.

I hope He proves me wrong next year by defeating a top 5 guy but I think the demons won't let him take the chance.
Anenigma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:55 AM   #6
pecks
*****
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 1908
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenigma View Post
Mundine was cometely fatigued and it was the easiest way out for him, he didn't even spar back in those days so he was in completely uncharted waters.
I have been waiting to see how his career panned out to see if this assesment was correct, and after watching him completly waste his talent I believe this to be correct,because in the back of his mind the decision he made that night obviously still haunts him.

People need to remember only a chin shot knocks you out like that a temple shot affects your equilibrium and makes you disorientsted but doesn't knock you cold.

I hope He proves me wrong next year by defeating a top 5 guy but I think the demons won't let him take the chance.
So you're saying Mundine took a dive?
I disagree.
I think he was out of it and went down like he did due to the fatigue he was experiencing, and due to the fact that the punch hit him in the sweet spot.
pecks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 AM   #7
pecks
*****
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 1908
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

...and of course because Ottke had loaded gloves.
pecks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Anenigma
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks View Post
So you're saying Mundine took a dive?
I disagree.
I think he was out of it and went down like he did due to the fatigue he was experiencing, and due to the fact that the punch hit him in the sweet spot.

I agree it could have been fatigue but you don't close your eyes like that and go to sleep from fatigue and that punch.

At the end of the day it was an awesome effort at that stage of his career and without any sparring but I do believe that this one fight is the reason Mundine hasn't realized his potential due to lack of real confidence.
Anenigma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulldogs v Titans 2013 GF
Posts: 7,740
vCash: 2611
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

His KO and the one that RJJ copped from Johnson was made worse by how hard their head hit the canvas. Both bounce beautifully
teke is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 AM   #10
pecks
*****
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 1908
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenigma View Post
I agree it could have been fatigue but you don't close your eyes like that and go to sleep from fatigue and that punch.

At the end of the day it was an awesome effort at that stage of his career and without any sparring but I do believe that this one fight is the reason Mundine hasn't realized his potential due to lack of real confidence.
That loss certainly did haunt him for a long time, perhaps it still does.
He became totally unwilling to engage for a while after that. Even though he beat Echolls, he looked more like a guy fighting for survival rather than someone trying to knock his opponent out.
pecks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 AM   #11
daz52
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,971
vCash: 1195
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke View Post
His KO and the one that RJJ copped from Johnson was made worse by how hard their head hit the canvas. Both bounce beautifully
Was just about to say, in both cases the heads bouncing off the canvases were harder then the actual shots !
daz52 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulldogs v Titans 2013 GF
Posts: 7,740
vCash: 2611
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz52 View Post
Was just about to say, in both cases the heads bouncing off the canvases were harder then the actual shots !
Roys one was a particularly good firm bounce
teke is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:32 AM   #13
Anenigma
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by teke View Post
His KO and the one that RJJ copped from Johnson was made worse by how hard their head hit the canvas. Both bounce beautifully

Good call but the fight has affected his career and direction the only reason you would drop a division at his age is if you were trying to get away from the power, even the Jap scared him and made him remember his fears.
Anenigma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:53 AM   #14
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 75
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenigma View Post
Mundine was cometely fatigued and it was the easiest way out for him, he didn't even spar back in those days so he was in completely uncharted waters.
I have been waiting to see how his career panned out to see if this assesment was correct, and after watching him completly waste his talent I believe this to be correct,because in the back of his mind the decision he made that night obviously still haunts him.

People need to remember only a chin shot knocks you out like that a temple shot affects your equilibrium and makes you disorientsted but doesn't knock you cold.

I hope He proves me wrong next year by defeating a top 5 guy but I think the demons won't let him take the chance.
I've been dissecting some of your posts over the last couple of weeks and to be honest haven't really given them much credit. But on this occassion, i cannot disagree with you and any aspect on the above paragraph.
kel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 AM   #15
Anenigma
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 359
vCash: 1000
Default Re: mundines ko by ottke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
I've been dissecting some of your posts over the last couple of weeks and to be honest haven't really given them much credit. But on this occassion, i cannot disagree with you and any aspect on the above paragraph.

Kel,
I didn't come on here to make friends but I eat, sleep and shit boxing and have read these forums for a few years and although I have been attacked by a few people I am not going anywhere, and am really enjoying my experience here, I think my wife thinks I am having an affair
Anenigma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013