Old 01-01-2009, 02:51 AM   #16
ShadowWorks
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Reaction to the "controversial" haye wlad pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq View Post
the pic of haye holding wlads decapitated head is old news but I was amused by some of the reaction to this article on the Setanta website...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

so, was this a "classless act" with no place in boxing or just good pre-fight hype?

On the veneer of this story to the Great British public this looks like amateur dramatics and a bit of harmless premotional fun but In the Ukraine beheading means something very different today than it did in the days of John the Baptiis,there have been many famous beheadings of journalist such as Georgiy Gongadze who tried to expose Government corruption in the Ukrain, I think somebody in Haye camp understand politics and is trying to implicate Vitali as Politics criminal, Haye is claming ignorance and fun as a defence, is he that niave and ignorant of Ukrainian culture?

Leonid Kuchma, who was Ukrainian President at the time, was implicated in Georgiy Gongadze abduction and murder after secret recordings were published of Mr Kuchmaordering senior members of his administration to "take care" of the journalist.

The Beheaded Gongadze became an icon for Ukraine's democratic opposition and the murder was used to rally support for its candidate, Viktor Yushchenko, last autumn, Mr Yushchenko promised to pursue Gongadze's killers if he was elected president, he was inaugurated in January and the new Ukrainian government, which has pledged to root out political cronyism and corruption in the police and courts, this puts Hayes Photoshop actions into context.
ShadowWorks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #17
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

il let my aviator tell you my opinion
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
On the veneer of this story to the Great British public this looks like amateur dramatics and a bit of harmless premotional fun but In the Ukraine beheading means something very different today than it did in the days of John the Baptiis,there have been many famous beheadings of journalist such as Georgiy Gongadze who tried to expose Government corruption in the Ukrain, I think somebody in Haye camp understand politics and is trying to implicate Vitali as Politics criminal, Haye is claming ignorance and fun as a defence, is he that niave and ignorant of Ukrainian culture?

Leonid Kuchma, who was Ukrainian President at the time, was implicated in Georgiy Gongadze abduction and murder after secret recordings were published of Mr Kuchmaordering senior members of his administration to "take care" of the journalist.

The Beheaded Gongadze became an icon for Ukraine's democratic opposition and the murder was used to rally support for its candidate, Viktor Yushchenko, last autumn, Mr Yushchenko promised to pursue Gongadze's killers if he was elected president, he was inaugurated in January and the new Ukrainian government, which has pledged to root out political cronyism and corruption in the police and courts, this puts Hayes Photoshop actions into context.
What a pile of ****.

The photo portrays Wlad as a political criminal? Lol. Perhaps you could give some details of how it does this.

It doesn't put it in to any kind of context at all. The context is actually very easy to see and , as I posted previously, references one of the versions of Caravaggio's painting 'David With The Head Of Goliath'. The photo is not of an execution of a prisonner (why would you think it was? Lucky the weight difference makes it unlikely a Kiltchscko would ever face Bernard 'the executioner' Hopkins), but of a victorious warrior holding the head of a vanquished opponent. Of course, the reference to the painting gives us the context of the giant (Wladimir) against David (erm, David) which plays into the perceptions of the fight in a clever manner.

The painting is below.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #19
ShadowWorks
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler View Post

It doesn't put it in to any kind of context at all. The context is actually very easy to see and , as I posted previously, references one of the versions of Caravaggio's painting 'David With The Head Of Goliath'. The photo is not of an execution of a prisonner (why would you think it was?

Interesting take but this is spin, the Photoshop image of Haye is not even in a Baroque style, it has zero reference to either of Michelangelo Caravaggio paintings of David with Goliath head, not in any key artistic sense.

The image of Haye holding a severed head is unmistakably of an underworld type setting more like a Gangster film which is more like Ukrainian politics, Vlad has political aspiration and will be similar to Arnold in California, mark my words.
ShadowWorks is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #20
1stcontact
Like Mo, But Better
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-MAC View Post
Just a bit of pre-fight hype.

Everyone likes a grudge match, so why not portray it as one; Haye posts picture of himself holding Vlad's head minus the rest of the body, Vitali gets mean and angry and says he must defend his family honour against such slander, each promises to knock the other guy out because there is such mutual hatred; game on.

Of course it will be ruined after the fight when they are kissing each others lips, crying on each others shoulders, and whispering sweet nothings in each others ears; the winner will be saying how much he respects the loser, and how he can still make it at the top level of the HW division; the loser will be saying what a great champ the winner is and how he wishes him all the luck in the future (he'll probably wink at the winner and say I'll be back, just keep that title warm for me - they'll both laugh). Then Haye will slap Vitali in the ass, and Vitali will cuddle David's *****, and they'll both declare the the pre-fight stuff was just to boost ratings and get extra money.
You have thought about that way too much
1stcontact is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #21
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

It's no big deal, though I found the info about ukrainiun politics very interesting. There was a very similer poster made of herol graham and vinny pazienza back when they fought, that created uproar but on a much larger scale- at least domestically.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #22
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Quote:
is he that niave and ignorant of Ukrainian culture?
Great insight into Ukrainian politics, thanks man!

In response to just the line I've quoted, I dont think it's that surprising that Haye would be ignorant of the relevance of this pic in Ukrainian culture. To be fair, nobody else has referred to this until you! Thanks for the info man, but I think it's fair to assume that Haye is honest in his defence. When I saw the pic I thought it was pretty funny to be honest. But I can understand why Vit reacted the way he did. Showing a pic of your brother decapatated must be emotive! Had the pic been of Vitali, I doubt he would have reacted in the same way (this is without considering the whole politcal aspect).
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #23
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stcontact View Post
You have thought about that way too much
I have a lot of spare time at the moment
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Good quality pre-fight hype.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #25
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
Interesting take but this is spin, the Photoshop image of Haye is not even in a Baroque style, it has zero reference to either of Michelangelo Caravaggio paintings of David with Goliath head, not in any key artistic sense.

The image of Haye holding a severed head is unmistakably of an underworld type setting more like a Gangster film which is more like Ukrainian politics, Vlad has political aspiration and will be similar to Arnold in California, mark my words.
Utter tosh. It's eactly the same pose, as you say, modernised with Haye in a shirt and tie rather than rags and carrying a sword.

How is 'unmistakably an underworld setting'? Because only gangsters wear ties these days? Which gangster films are you thinking of that feature someone carrying someone elses severed head?
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
warrior85
R.I.P THUNDER
East Side Guru

vCash: 334

its a joke ffs
warrior85 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #27
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think it's a move of genuius to be honest, and it has helped restore my respect and faith in David Haye which had started to wane post Mormeck.

I thought he had become an arrogant berk, but I really do think that by combining this with the infamous restaurant meeting, he has built up interest and is obviously playing the part of Ali to Klitschkos Liston.

He's the new clown prince of boxing and I'm hoping he beats Vitali to make a Wlad fight the most signficant in the division in 10 years!

Support David Haye for the good of boxing!
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #28
Gneus7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 391

If ur offended by that ur a sensitive little girl who needs to get a life. Its not like he actually decapitated him
Gneus7 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum