Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 AM   #1
Peterp
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Question for those who have Sparred Extensively WITH and WITHOUT HEADGUARDS

By sparring extensively with and without headguards, i mean not just tried the alternative once or twice, but had many sparring sessions both with and without a headguard.
My question is this
How much additional punishment and/or how many more injuries did you get sparring WITHOUT a headguard ? What were the kind of injuries (however small) you got sparring without a headguard that you rarely got sparring with a headguard ?
Peterp is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036
Default Re: Question for those who have Sparred Extensively WITH and WITHOUT HEADGUARDS

I've sparred a few times without headgear doing Muay Thai. Oly difference I noticed was that I collided heads with a guy and got a cut above my eyebrow.

Last edited by NBT; 04-29-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Question for those who have Sparred Extensively WITH and WITHOUT HEADGUARDS

Well, I've done both quite a bit and honestly I prefer doing it without headgear unless it has the cage on the front for two reasons.

I get hit much more with hooks because of bad peripheral vision - I always seem to take more shots to the head in headgear because I just don't see them coming. Also, I have a very protruding nose and with or without headgear it gets pummelled. After a sparring session my nose hurts, except the once or twice I tried the face cage, which was great, because head shots just couldn't bother me.

So I found I get hit more in headgear and take more punishment, because the rattle is still there, even if the blunt trauma isn't the same. No matter what my nose gets hurt, so I like to be able to see the punches coming a little bit more and they seem easier to slip or block for some reason without headgear.
aramini is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yeah, I've done both. The headgear gets in the way so it's more comfortable without it, but it is smarter to wear it.
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
aj_boxing

[quote=aramini]Well, I've done both quite a bit and honestly I prefer doing it without headgear unless it has the cage on the front for two reasons.

I get hit much more with hooks because of bad peripheral vision - I always seem to take more shots to the head in headgear because I just don't see them coming.[quote]

excatly same as me, i know im gunna get "verbally punished" by atleast someone for saying this but at my gym we rarely ever wear headger at all unless someone is coming up to a fight then we wear it a lil bit jus to get used to it. i fukkin hate it.
aj_boxing is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
brixtonbeat
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

In terms of damange, sparring without headgear was MUCH worse for me.

I ate a right hook in the temple area and my vision was impaired in my left eye for at least an hour after the sparring.
brixtonbeat is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Diomedes

vCash: 3900

At my gym, it's extremely rare that we spar with headgear. I have the same problem as Aramini - my nose gets ****ed up every sparring session - in fact I'm considering cauterization since it usually bleeds profusely - but headgear doesnt help with that. I just find it uncomfortable. Obviously, I prefer no headgear.
Diomedes is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
gregsid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I've had to spar many times without headgear and all I can say is that its not a smart thing to do before fights.
gregsid is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i also train at a muaythai gym and we dont have any headguards. it just somthing the club has never bothered with.
at my old boxing gym we wore them all the time and the vision isnt as good. i prefer no head gaurd and it also helps you (in my opinion) get used to taking a shot and learning what a good shot feels like. but everyone is different
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yeah, nothing like taking a swift roundhouse to the side of the head.
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2007, 03:14 AM   #11
Zoom123

spar with headguards if u wanna prevent cuts
Zoom123 is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #12
Butch Coolidge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The more protective headgear is the less you'll be able to see and the more difficult it will be to breathe.

I advise never to spar without headgear, mainly to protect your eyes.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterp
By sparring extensively with and without headguards, i mean not just tried the alternative once or twice, but had many sparring sessions both with and without a headguard.
I see many did not fully read peterp's words?

I have sparred many rounds with and without head gear, below are my findings

Head gear serves a great purpose, it adds about 12 to 18% protection, don't be fooled though I have been rocked/buzzed with h-gear on and off and there is no difference in the effects

IMO h-gear's primary role is to protect against cuts and abrasions, why risk these type injury's when prepping for a fight?

I read most complain that they cant see hook coming and the get hit more etc. I think you would have got hit with the same hooks without the head gear. try a different spot like thumb wrestling

the secret to head gear:

When purchasing head gear you should get them a size smaller, this will cause a more snug fit,

I am sure we (well those who actually fight and spar) has seen the guy that every time a punch lands on his head he has to adjust his head gear?

if he had the right fitted head gear this would not be a problem

I actually like to snap that head back while he is taking the the time to adjust his head gear
LoBlow is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
LoBlow
No Title Needed!
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge
The more protective headgear is the less you'll be able to see and the more difficult it will be to breathe.

I advise never to spar without headgear, mainly to protect your eyes.
See? what are we talking about here seeing for miles ahead of you or an oponent that is normally right in your face or reach?

Are you speaking from personal experience or just here say?
LoBlow is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing