Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Holman Williams on Joe Louis

Williams was Louis' sometime trainer early on. I've cherry picked a few things Williams had to say about Louis here for anyone who's interested.

Joe...didn't make much of an impression on me. The only reason I noticed his was that he was the biggest kid we had. He must have weighed about 155 then...[in Joe's first formal fight] Joe got the decision and we have him a little red ribbon with the world "Champ" in gilt letters. I dount that he was any prouder the night he stopped Braddock in Chicago for the title.

Carter was the only kid at [that gym] in those days in Joe's weight class...so they fought 3 or 4 times and Joe always was the winner. They always gave action...one night they fell through the ropes and kept right on punching outside the ring...but I wasn't sure of Joe until the night he fouth John Miller..a tough, hard hitting guy who was Mighigan State AAU champ...well Miller knocked Joe down nine times in three rounds, but Joe was on his feet at the finish. I knew then we had something.

Seems like Joe's vulnerability and astonishing powers of recovery were both there right from the start.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Default Re: Holman Williams on Joe Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Seems like Joe's vulnerability and astonishing powers of recovery were both there right from the start.
I have Louis own words on his all his fights up to the Braddock match. Louis was knocked down either 5 or 7 times in his amateur debut.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
I have Louis own words on his all his fights up to the Braddock match. Louis was knocked down either 5 or 7 times in his amateur debut.
Quality, where did you get that?

I had an article years ago "by Joe" (heavily ghost written) "my greatest fights" where he gave acconts of his big ones. Got burned up though.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Nice quote bud.

Yeah, it's true Holman Williams wasn't that impressed with Louis initially. Legend has it that Louis would struggle to win the in-house club championship, such was the quality that was abundant in those days.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Also, Mendoza, why is it 5 OR 7? Was Louis to dazed to have the details? Seems like there may have been something similair in Schmeling 1.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Also, Mendoza, why is it 5 OR 7? Was Louis to dazed to have the details? Seems like there may have been something similair in Schmeling 1.
Iíll check. It is a multiple page re-printed story with Louis himself as the author. Louis recalls nearly all of his fights up to the Braddock match. He talks about his relationship with his mother, and the business side of boxing. Being black in the 1930ís was handicap for Louis, but having a manager with the in on Madison Square Garden made a huge difference. Louis had some early problems in boxing with his balance and taking punches prior to turning professional.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Iíll check.

Please.

Quote:
It is a multiple page re-printed story with Louis himself as the author.

I bet he didn't write it though.

Of course he might have done, if it was late enough after his retirement. Any notion of a date Mendoza?

Quote:
Louis recalls nearly all of his fights up to the Braddock match. He talks about his relationship with his mother, and the business side of boxing. Being black in the 1930ís was handicap for Louis, but having a manager with the in on Madison Square Garden made a huge difference. Louis had some early problems in boxing with his balance and taking punches prior to turning professional.
Be a great read.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum