Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
venomus_p4p

vCash:
Default Anderson Silva VS George St Pierre? at catch weight...

I know that Silva is naturally bigger then Silva... But if they met at a fair catch weight how would this fight play out? Silva is the best of the best but GSP is so well rounded as well and has developed so much since his first loss to Matt Hughes. Would he fair a chance against the great Silva?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anderson Silva VS George St Pierre? at catch weight...

Id give him a better chance then any guy at 185 to be honest. Actually if BJ wins I wouldnt mind seeing him vs Silva. I want Silva in big fights hes doing what Fedor did in 06-07 hes fighting guys who dont have much hope. I want Silva to either fight BJ-GSP winner or go to 205 maybe fight Forrest or Chuck-Jardine winner assuming they do indeed fight.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
venomus_p4p

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie View Post
Id give him a better chance then any guy at 185 to be honest. Actually if BJ wins I wouldnt mind seeing him vs Silva. I want Silva in big fights hes doing what Fedor did in 06-07 hes fighting guys who dont have much hope. I want Silva to either fight BJ-GSP winner or go to 205 maybe fight Forrest or Chuck-Jardine winner assuming they do indeed fight.
Wouldn't BJ be to small? reach and height wise? Silva is one of the best strikers around and may be to strong for bj to keep or even get on the ground for BJ
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
Wouldn't BJ be to small? reach and height wise? Silva is one of the best strikers around and may be to strong for bj to keep or even get on the ground for BJ
I dont believe so to be honest BJs weight isnt a big factor to me as long as he trains. He dominated Renzo Gracie on the ground at 185 if he gets Silva down im sure he can do the same. Silva although he fought at 205 recently isnt the biggest Middleweight out there he spend a good portion of his career at 170. BJs standup to me is good enough to get inside of Andersons reach and secure takedowns if he gets his hands on him no doubt he can take Anderson Silva down his TD defense has never been great.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
venomus_p4p

vCash:

Quote:
I dont believe so to be honest BJs weight isnt a big factor to me as long as he trains. He dominated Renzo Gracie on the ground at 185 if he gets Silva down im sure he can do the same. Silva although he fought at 205 recently isnt the biggest Middleweight out there he spend a good portion of his career at 170. BJs standup to me is good enough to get inside of Andersons reach and secure takedowns if he gets his hands on him no doubt he can take Anderson Silva down his TD defense has never been great.

Were can i find the tale of tape for these guys?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
ShadowWorks
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

A. Silva can take a massive punch, GSP can't, BJ Penn destroyed GSP face the first time round.
ShadowWorks is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
québecwarrior
Georges 'Rush' St-Pierre
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
A. Silva can take a massive punch, GSP can't, BJ Penn destroyed GSP face the first time round.
St. Pierre landed more than Penn.
so much for DESTROYING hen?
Fedor's face was pretty messed up after Hong Choi, what did it tell you? that's what I thought.

St.Pierre doesnt need to take a massive punch
His chin is enough good and his agility on his feet is enough to hang with Silva on his feet for a while, to take him down easily.
québecwarrior is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
québecwarrior
Georges 'Rush' St-Pierre
ESB Addict

Quote:
Penn could sub Silva, if he manage to take him down, and he has the tools to put him on his ass.
+ His iron chin
Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

They wouldn't need to meet at a catchweight. GSP would be more than comfortable fighting at 185. Either way, Silva by KO, probably around the 3rd or 4th round in a title bout, maybe earlier. I see GSP giving him trouble with his strength, wrestling, and ground game, but I think Silva is skilled enough to nullify any significant damage that GSP could do from top position and would eventually catch him with something huge on the feet. I just can't see GSP making it through 5 rounds without eating something huge.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
BewareofDawg
P4P Champ
East Side VIP

I think Silva would manhandle GSP actually. He would destroy him standing, if he gets him in the clinch then forget about it, and he controlled Hendo on the ground from the top...come on! When has GSP fought an elite striker? GSP looks very good on his feet against wrestlers, I'm not sold on him yet standing enough to say he could hang with Silva. No matter who you think got the better of the stand up between GSP and Penn, Penn more then neutralized him. Silva is HUGE! and very strong, he ragdolled Franklin and Franklin is bigger and stronger then GSP, he got on top of Hendo and made him look helpless. I need to see GSP vs Alves to see how he would do against Silva first. I'd actually rather see Alves vs Silva because I think he's even bigger then GSP and could deal with Andersons striking better.
BewareofDawg is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
québecwarrior
Georges 'Rush' St-Pierre
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
I think Silva would manhandle GSP actually. He would destroy him standing, if he gets him in the clinch then forget about it, and he controlled Hendo on the ground from the top...come on! When has GSP fought an elite striker? GSP looks very good on his feet against wrestlers, I'm not sold on him yet standing enough to say he could hang with Silva. No matter who you think got the better of the stand up between GSP and Penn, Penn more then neutralized him. Silva is HUGE! and very strong, he ragdolled Franklin and Franklin is bigger and stronger then GSP, he got on top of Hendo and made him look helpless. I need to see GSP vs Alves to see how he would do against Silva first. I'd actually rather see Alves vs Silva because I think he's even bigger then GSP and could deal with Andersons striking better.
Dont think that Alves would deal better with Silva's striking, maybe because he has an iron chin, ok, but he was getting beat to the punch some time by Kos, who's standing has improved A LOT, but he still aint elite on his feet.

Different between Hendo and GSP, is GSP's athletecity, he is so much explosive, and fluid, that on the ground, it could be a good fight for him there. GSP can pass Silva's guard, i'm sure of that.
He just need to hang on his feet enough to prepare his takedown.
It's just that I worry about that big knee, or elbow, or any other crazy strike of Silva, with his killing speed and very good power.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
Tyga
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I would actually favor St-Pierre if he were to fight Anderson. I feel like Georges' complete arsenal of skills would be too much for Anderson. St-Pierre's Wrestling would give Silva a lot of trouble. I don't think we would see Georges try to stand with Anderson like Henderson. St-Pierre has really developed a terrific ground game. I think Georges would control Silva and win a decision.
Tyga is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

Silva has enough of a good ground game to not get caught up and beaten there, and we know what he can do with his striking. He would find a way to keep the fight standing which is where he would beat GSP with ease. Silva has faced much bigger hitting strikers than GSP and he has dominated most of them. He has faced a good wrestler, in Henderson, in which many though it was a bad match-up for Silva and we saw what happened there. Although GSP has a nice well rounded skillset, it isn't enough to overcome the size, strength, and striking that Silva would carry into this fight. I just don't see what real threat GSP would pose for Anderson being the smaller guy.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
québecwarrior
Georges 'Rush' St-Pierre
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga View Post
I would actually favor St-Pierre if he were to fight Anderson. I feel like Georges' complete arsenal of skills would be too much for Anderson. St-Pierre's Wrestling would give Silva a lot of trouble. I don't think we would see Georges try to stand with Anderson like Henderson. St-Pierre has really developed a terrific ground game. I think Georges would control Silva and win a decision.
you got it.
That's what people don't understand, Hendo got trash, not because Silva nullified his wrestling skill, but because he wanted to hang to much with Silva on his feet, then caught a big knee, got hurted, Silva finished him with a sub.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by québecwarrior View Post
Dont think that Alves would deal better with Silva's striking, maybe because he has an iron chin, ok, but he was getting beat to the punch some time by Kos, who's standing has improved A LOT, but he still aint elite on his feet.

Different between Hendo and GSP, is GSP's athletecity, he is so much explosive, and fluid, that on the ground, it could be a good fight for him there. GSP can pass Silva's guard, i'm sure of that.
He just need to hang on his feet enough to prepare his takedown.
It's just that I worry about that big knee, or elbow, or any other crazy strike of Silva, with his killing speed and very good power.
I'm not sure GSP can pass Silva's guard. It's SUPER hard to pass Silva if he locks in a body triangle.
codeman99998 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum