Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: BBN - Top 10 All British Fights For 2009

Yep, he's definitely a major time bottler. Possibly an all-time great bottler. I could well imagine him in the South African team that threw the World Cup down the toilet. Plus he looks like a schoolboy cricketer with his fuzzy hair and freckles.

Get rid of him and Collingwood. And Harmison. Garbage.
TFFP is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I like watching him against the spinners

His face in that situation reminds me of George Bush when the shoes were coming his way......

Collingwood is one of those where he seems to know he is playing for his career and suddenly starts playing well. I don't necessarily dislike him, but don't feel he merits his place.

Harmison should have been redded the moment he quit ODI's like a bitch in 2006 - all this BS about not being able to bowl with a white ball. Soon changed his mind when $$$ were flying though. Cunt.

Anyways....

Back to topic!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #18
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Yep, he's definitely a major time bottler. Possibly an all-time great bottler. I could well imagine him in the South African team that threw the World Cup down the toilet. Plus he looks like a schoolboy cricketer with his fuzzy hair and freckles.

Get rid of him and Collingwood. And Harmison. Garbage.
Which one?

1999 - Herschelle Gibbs dropped catch in the Super Six..... the shocking run out of course.....

2003 - Mark Boucher blocking the last ball

2007 - All trying to play the innings of their life in the semi - because they needed to 'back themselves' and 'make a statement'
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 324

Didnt realise this was eastsiderounders.com
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #20
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

We should have a cricket and football thread in the Brit forum. It's sometimes a hardship to click back and then scroll down and then to click on the lounge.

Bell needs to go to county cricket and get some balls. Perhaps they will always be too small, but he does have the talent and technique

Collingwood is a role reversal with Ian Bell. He has no technique, and looks like he could get out at any possible moment. Yet he's mentally tough and seems to always do just enough to drag out an agonising international career.

I would ditch both and play Shah and another promising batsman (not Vaughan ) in their place.

Harmison has to go. Unless every possible factor is in his favour he is useless and mentally fragile. How can you build up a strong mentality with such weak characters as Bell and Harmlesson.

If England were smart they would try to blood young Rashid against the hapless Windies, and produce turning wickets for the Ashes. They would have the pick of 3 decent(ish) spinners and Australia's are terrible. They could have Flintoff and Rashid and Prior as all-rounders, Swann bats a little, and hey presto they have a long batting order and 5 bowlers. I've been watching Hauritz and he would not get me out, I'm certain of that. Instead they will produce mundane wickets to last 5 days and get the in.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #21
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
We should have a cricket and football thread in the Brit forum. It's sometimes a hardship to click back and then scroll down and then to click on the lounge.

Agreed.

Bell needs to go to county cricket and get some balls. Perhaps they will always be too small, but he does have the talent and technique

Agreed. He can come back, but needs more games at county level- they used to drop people too quick, now WAY too slow.

Collingwood is a role reversal with Ian Bell. He has no technique, and looks like he could get out at any possible moment. Yet he's mentally tough and seems to always do just enough to drag out an agonising international career.

Agreed.

I would ditch both and play Shah and another promising batsman (not Vaughan ) in their place.

Shah doesn't really convince me that much, but has more than earned a fair go.

Harmison has to go. Unless every possible factor is in his favour he is useless and mentally fragile. How can you build up a strong mentality with such weak characters as Bell and Harmlesson.

Correct.

If England were smart they would try to blood young Rashid against the hapless Windies, and produce turning wickets for the Ashes. They would have the pick of 3 decent(ish) spinners and Australia's are terrible. They could have Flintoff and Rashid and Prior as all-rounders, Swann bats a little, and hey presto they have a long batting order and 5 bowlers. I've been watching Hauritz and he would not get me out, I'm certain of that. Instead they will produce mundane wickets to last 5 days and get the in.

Rashid looks good, but from what I have seen of him (limited) his batting is as good as his bowling. I prefer Swann to Panesar - can actually vary his bowling and doesn't have embarrassingly bad fielding and batting.

Broad is worth consideration, but sometimes I feel he is just another Shane Watson. A batsman who is physically gifted and can bowl 85mph.

Michael Clarke is a better bowler than Hauritz.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Shah looks strong to me. I remember on his debut, he looked at that cunt Singh in the eye and then blasted him over the fence. I don't imagine Bell doing anything like that. This game is 80% mental. Plus Shah has done enough in the one dayers, despite being mistreated.

The point is, with Rashid and Swann they can get a balanced side. They have been talking forever how to get a balance with Flintoff at 6. TFFP has solved the problem and come up with a gameplan to win the Ashes at the same time! With my proposed side they have a proper batsman like Rashid at 8, and Swann at 9. You could even have Broad as one of the two seamers, and have him at 9/10 and increase the depth further.

Australia are strong in the batting yet England are going to play to their strengths and produce flat wickets. I would produce abrasive turners so reverse swing and spin is more of a factor and give themselves a chance to bowl the cunts out. They would have a perfectly balanced attack with maybe Sidebottom and Broad/Anderson with the new ball (left and right armers), then Flintoff's height and speed, then an off-spinner to turn the ball in and the leggie turning it away.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

My side for the 2009 Ashes would be.......

1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Someone else (maybe Shah)
4. Pietersen
5. ??? Collingwood perhaps
6. Flintoff
7. ??? Help me plz, really struggling
8. Broad
9. Rashid
10. Swann
11. Sidebottom

Explanations......

You are probably right about Shah, he is much tougher than Bell mentally who can crumble PDQ. Collingwood would probably hang on to his spot (just).

I agree with you on the Rashid situation, adds strength to the batting and fielding in place of Panesar. Swann should be given an extended run, not all the Aussies are great against spin, especially early.

Broad would come in for Anderson - because the taller bowlers that can extract bounce (i.e. Sharma, Morkel) have had Ponting in fits. Jimmy is still too much of a scattergun for me.

Sidebottom obviously in for Harmison..... Hayden and Katich are both prone to away swing early - if the ball is going to move, Sidebottom will not only find the swing, but bowl accurately to boot.

I am undecided on the keeping situation - Prior to be is iron-gloved and only in the side because he played for Sus***. I like the look of Davies at Worcester.....
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
My side for the 2009 Ashes would be.......

1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Someone else (maybe Shah)
4. Pietersen
5. ??? Collingwood perhaps
6. Flintoff
7. ??? Help me plz, really struggling
8. Broad
9. Rashid
10. Swann
11. Sidebottom

Explanations......

You are probably right about Shah, he is much tougher than Bell mentally who can crumble PDQ. Collingwood would probably hang on to his spot (just).

I agree with you on the Rashid situation, adds strength to the batting and fielding in place of Panesar. Swann should be given an extended run, not all the Aussies are great against spin, especially early.

Broad would come in for Anderson - because the taller bowlers that can extract bounce (i.e. Sharma, Morkel) have had Ponting in fits. Jimmy is still too much of a scattergun for me.

Sidebottom obviously in for Harmison..... Hayden and Katich are both prone to away swing early - if the ball is going to move, Sidebottom will not only find the swing, but bowl accurately to boot.

I am undecided on the keeping situation - Prior to be is iron-gloved and only in the side because he played for Sus***. I like the look of Davies at Worcester.....
Yes Shah is tough. He's saved England from a few embarrasing situations too.

I can see I am converting you to the 2 spinners / 5 bowlers theory.

I'm undecided on Broad/Anderson. I think each have their own merits. I wouldn't really consider Broad's batting because I already have batting down to 9 in my lineup. Broad has height and bounce, and he's more consistent in building up pressure. Anderson on his day is hot and is more likely to bowl a match winning spell, and I've a feeling he's a better reverse swinger so he fits into my gameplan. I remember a spell in Nagpur a few years back. Toss a coin.

Sidebottom is important to the Aussie left handers. I feel like left-handers get an easy ride against England. Think Chanderpaul, Prince, Smith recently never looked like getting out. There is not enough variety without Sidebottom/Swann. All they get fed is right hand over, and then Panesar spinning it in which is easy to deal with. They need Swann and Sidebottom against them.

I'm not converted on Prior either, but he is gonna be picked I would think unless he does something really terrible against the Windies. We should be thankful he can at least bat, unlike Geraint who could not do anything right. I like Davies too in the long-term.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I wouldn't usually consider two spinners in England other than at Old Trafford - but the pitches these days and the lack of batsmen that can play spin effectively are beginning to sway me.

I much prefer Broad's dependability to Anderson's once a season spell - though he is a good fielder (probably better than Broad) which can help to sway towards him. If Broad isn't taking wickets though he can tie up an end, Anderson will go at 3.5/4 an over and starting bowling no-balls, something that really pisses me off.

With Flintoff regularly looking like he bats with a snooker cue you would have to pick Broad to stiffen the batting (IMO anyway).

Sidebottom is a must, no explanation needed. You are correct in pointing out that lefties have had an easy time of late. Don't forget to put Sangakkara in that bracket. It seems all you have to do is be patient and the rewards will come.....

The wicketkeepers all seem much of a muchness - they are either iron-gloved or can't bat for toffee. Prior being a good first example, Read second. James Foster might be my preference for the present, mentally tough and won't be worried about exchanging pleasantaries with the Aussie slip fielders whilst at the crease.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #26
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

You are right about Anderson. It's once a season, as opposed to once every two with Harmlesson. I've just got this instinct that under the right conditions, with an abrasive pitch Anderson might produce that one match winning spell in the series. Considering its likely to be a tight series with draws thats important. Broad is a steady eddy, but he doesn't move the ball enough yet. Either way I'm not that bothered, the advantage of 5 bowlers is you can maybe hide one if he does not perform. We'll see who is in form of the two.

I always was concerned with Flintoff's batting. This is why Prior probably will be picked because he looks like a solid batsman at the crease, not a wicket-keeper thats impersonating a batsman. The length of my order would hopefully compensate for Flintoff's shitty batting, but at the end of the day we have to hope he performs like he did last time on the big stage.

I personally would take a risk on Davis in the Carribean. But thats too bold for the England selectors. I'm trying to keep my team within the bounds of possibility considering how inept they are.

Strauss
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
????? (I'm thinking about this)
Flintoff
Prior
Rashid
Swann
Anderson/Broad (Form dependent)
Sidebottom

That looks like an ashes winning side to me.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #27
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

It could be......

I'm struggling to pick a #5 - Collingwood will save you runs in the field but you won't need his bowling due to the options listed.....

I think Panesar will be gone soon, Swann totally outbowled him - Shane Warne made an interesting statement saying that Panesar hasn't played 30-odd Tests. He has made 30-odd debuts. Can see what he means.

What do you think the Aussie side will look like, I would suggest........

Hayden (just)
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Siddle/Clark (form and fitness dependent)

From an Aussie PoV, I would like to see David Hussey come in somewhere and also Shane Watson to bolster the bowling, which has been threadbare of late. Lee will have re-discovered form and fitness after a few personal issues and the injury - but isn't really an attack leader, more a top class chief supporting act......

The spin department is awful - Krezja isn't up to much......

I think going to Bracken with the swinging pitches here would be a good option, but they may be reluctant to pick two lefties - even though the English batsmen are clueless at times against swing.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #28
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

I'm struggling for a 5 too. I might have to begrudgingly pick Collingwood over Bell due to lack of options. I like Bopara, he's got a lot of talent and character but thats one hell of a pick to leave out experienced players for a guy that had a nightmare in his debut series.

Panesar will be gone. Like you say, Swann did outbowl him, and when you can't do shit but bowl you are in trouble if you do not perform in that discipline. That is Panesar's problem, he has no variation in pace or spin. The only time he's looked dangerous since people figured him out is when he's bowling to right handers with some assitance from the pitch because he gets good drift and then spin away. To lefties he is useless as shit. I remember reading that he's developing a "doosra" and has used it in county cricket, WHERE is it. Go to county cricket and develop your game and learn to take a risk. You can come again, Monty.

I think Hayden will be gone after this series unless he does something in this innings. He may be gone anyway. The Aussies are ruthless.

Jaques
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Clark
????? - Take a pick. This could be Hauritz, Krejza or an unknown from state cricket. I would say Hauritz is frontrunner right now because he's kept things tight and I think they'll use him in South Africa on the unresponsive pitches there since he's economical. But none of these are giving England any sleepless nights, hence why they should use spin to their advantage.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #29
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Good shout about Panesar against the lefties.... I hadn't really noticed a specific difference, because he has been pretty ineffective for the past year generally.

I aren't the biggest Katich fan going around, mainly because of his at times loose technique and tendency to have a high number of soft dismissals. To be fair he does seem to have tightened his technique a degree. Hayden may be given a stay of execution, though opening bat is hardly a position where the Aussies lack depth.

Nothing says they have to pick a spinner, Clarke and Symmo could bowl some overs if the track is responsive and can break partnerships - I aren't a fan of this pudding allrounder (McDonald is it) or of Bollinger.

What has happened to Dan Cullen.... he looked a decent prospect at one stage.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
You are right about Anderson. It's once a season, as opposed to once every two with Harmlesson. I've just got this instinct that under the right conditions, with an abrasive pitch Anderson might produce that one match winning spell in the series. Considering its likely to be a tight series with draws thats important. Broad is a steady eddy, but he doesn't move the ball enough yet. Either way I'm not that bothered, the advantage of 5 bowlers is you can maybe hide one if he does not perform. We'll see who is in form of the two.

I always was concerned with Flintoff's batting. This is why Prior probably will be picked because he looks like a solid batsman at the crease, not a wicket-keeper thats impersonating a batsman. The length of my order would hopefully compensate for Flintoff's shitty batting, but at the end of the day we have to hope he performs like he did last time on the big stage.

I personally would take a risk on Davis in the Carribean. But thats too bold for the England selectors. I'm trying to keep my team within the bounds of possibility considering how inept they are.

Strauss
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
????? (I'm thinking about this)
Flintoff
Prior
Rashid
Swann
Anderson/Broad (Form dependent)
Sidebottom

That looks like an ashes winning side to me.
You're going with two spinners on an English wicket? England would never do that. I'm not sure Rashid will be ready for Test cricket in time for the Ashes. When he face burst onto the scene at Yorkshire he was an extremely talented but obviously raw leggie. Since then his batting has improved at a much faster rate than his bowling. His bowling has almost stagnated though there was a bigger imrovment towards the latter end of last season. I still think he needs another season in county cricket before playing Test cricket.

Mark Davies at Durham should be in with a shout. He's a very good seam bowler with an excellent FC bowling average (under 20). Harmison as you've said is shite but I'll bet he picks up some wickets against WI and then he'll be portrayed as this unstoppable, ferocious fast bowler who's going to terrify the Aussies again. Matthew Hoggard was and still is, IMO a MUCH better bowler. Scandalous that he was dropped after a no more than a couple of poor performances whereas the likes of Harmison get chance after chance.
ishy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum