Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #31
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: BBN - Top 10 All British Fights For 2009

I think Dan Cullen had a nightmare at Somerset. He pulled the trigger on himself when he thought it would be a good idea to play at Somerset as an off-spinner. Plus he always did average about 40 in domestic cricket. I think they just hyped him because they saw the cupboard was looking empty after Warne.

I think England would fancy their chances with Katich. He averaged over 50 this year so he will be a dead cert I would think. He does not exactly convince, though.
TFFP is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #32
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

What happened to Ben Hilfenhaus(sp?) for Australia? He was meant to be the next big thing. He's still only 24 or so so still has time on his side.

edit: TFFP, they watch cricket in Iceland?!
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #33
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

What do we make of Ajantha Mendis?

I thought Sri Lanka were going to die a death after Murali went but they've plucked another one out. I am quite depressed about the overall state of spin bowling but he's cheered my spirits slightly.

Cricket is actually moderately popular here to play. But of course I am half British myself, and have spent a lot of time in England. Also I have a special thing on my TV which gets a lot of international channels so I watch a fair bit. I love cricket.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #34
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post

I thought Sri Lanka were going to die a death after Murali went but they've plucked another one out. I am quite depressed about the overall state of spin bowling but he's cheered my spirits slightly.

Cricket is actually moderately popular here to play. But of course I am half British myself, and have spent a lot of time in England. Also I have a special thing on my TV which gets a lot of international channels so I watch a fair bit. I love cricket.

Mendis came out of nowhere didn't he? Still need to see him bowl against the big teams and see how he does then but certainly looks very very promising. If only England produced spinners like that.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #35
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:

He is a phenomenon!

The state of spin bowling has been exaggerated by the absence of ****stan from the Test arena, but I would agree it isn't up to much.

Do you prefer Tests, ODI's, or T20?

I must admit I have grown tired of T20 - there has been a ridiculous overkill and the novelty has worn off.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think Dan Cullen had a nightmare at Somerset. He pulled the trigger on himself when he thought it would be a good idea to play at Somerset as an off-spinner. Plus he always did average about 40 in domestic cricket. I think they just hyped him because they saw the cupboard was looking empty after Warne.

I think England would fancy their chances with Katich. He averaged over 50 this year so he will be a dead cert I would think. He does not exactly convince, though.
As a bowler I would refuse to play at Somerset - once the ball leaves the 30 yard circle it is near the boundary.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #37
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Just following on from that though......

Would you say the downward turn in the fortunes of a typical spinner is partly due to the increased ability of batsmen to play them.

Up until around 2000, if you saw an England batsman other than Graham Thorpe playing even moderately well against spinners you were shocked..... these days, only Flintoff and Bell stand out as being bad - Pietersen and Collingwood probably the best two.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #38
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
He is a phenomenon!

The state of spin bowling has been exaggerated by the absence of ****stan from the Test arena, but I would agree it isn't up to much.

Do you prefer Tests, ODI's, or T20?

I must admit I have grown tired of T20 - there has been a ridiculous overkill and the novelty has worn off.
Mushtaq always was a better bowler than Kaneria, though. I like Kaneria, he's a "nice" bowler. He doesn't exactly tear up trees, however. I always feel like theres something missing from his game. He has all the tricks, but somehow he's not quite as deadly as he ought to be...

I prefer Tests by a long way.

Mendis summarizes the difference between English and Sri Lankan coaching. He is a free spirit, a raw talent. He hasn't been overcoached. England could do well to remember that. Coaching out of the manual isn't always the best way, especially for spinners. Unorthodoxy and risk taking wins in most sports.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #39
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Just following on from that though......

Would you say the downward turn in the fortunes of a typical spinner is partly due to the increased ability of batsmen to play them.

Up until around 2000, if you saw an England batsman other than Graham Thorpe playing even moderately well against spinners you were shocked..... these days, only Flintoff and Bell stand out as being bad - Pietersen and Collingwood probably the best two.
I think its probably a combination between the wickets and technology. I don't think the batsman magically improved. Endless analysis of spinners actions and variations on video improved them.

And then...the ball ain't spinning like it used to. I remember when you went to India and if you lost the toss you would seriously consider suicide. The ****stani wickets look like hard plastercine. The Aussies have got slower, so have the Windies. NZ has these awful drop in pitches that are best described as mundane. I think the only places bowlers get a fair shot is in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Old Trafford and Sydney occasionally.

The knock on effect of this high run scoring is kids wanna be a batsman now. Therefore the talent is diluting in the bowling stocks around the world.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #40
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

A lot of English bowlers are coached by batsmen.

Just let them ****ing bowl - unless they have an action that puts a real strain on the body, let them get on with it!

Some guys have loose actions (Harmison), others very stiff (Flintoff), slingy (Malinga), muscular (Johnson), economical (McGrath). McGrath is my personal favourite, especially the flick of the wrist to attract bounce even on full length deliveries. Probably Brett Lee has the most dynamic action - everything going forward in a straight line, rather than all over the place.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #41
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think its probably a combination between the wickets and technology. I don't think the batsman magically improved. Endless analysis of spinners actions and variations on video improved them.

And then...the ball ain't spinning like it used to. I remember when you went to India and if you lost the toss you would seriously consider suicide. The ****stani wickets look like hard plastercine. The Aussies have got slower, so have the Windies. NZ has these awful drop in pitches that are best described as mundane. I think the only places bowlers get a fair shot is in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Old Trafford and Sydney occasionally.

The knock on effect of this high run scoring is kids wanna be a batsman now. Therefore the talent is diluting in the bowling stocks around the world.
Bringing the ropes in hasn't helped.

These days, especially with the better bats, a hack across the line or a mishit can go for six.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #42
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

I don't mind that if the bowlers at least look dangerous. People want to see sixes going far and long. It brings another audience.

There is also a place for attritional cricket where ball is on top. If we had more rapidly wearing pitches that would come as the game progresses too.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #43
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I would like to see the ropes going back, at least for Test matches anyway.

Average bats these days have averages well over 40.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #44
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

What were/are your favourite new-ball partnerships? I remember when WI had Ambrose and Walsh and SA had Donald and Pollock. All 4 were fantastic bowlers who were may favourites in the late 90's. Then you had Waqar and Wasim before them but I;m too young too have seen them in their prime but remember them towards the end of their careers.

I used to always watch the England Tests on channel4 as a kid when we were rubbish (the Nasser Hussain era). We had the likes of Tudor, Ramrakash, Croft, McGrath, Tuffnell, Butcher, White etc.We used to constantly chop and change the team anf get beat by the likes of Zimbabwe .
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #45
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Great new ball combos......

Ambrose and Walsh - the best ever
Wasim and Waqar
Gough and Caddick - underrated
Pollock and Donald