Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #46
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500
Default Re: BBN - Top 10 All British Fights For 2009

I'd say Waqar and Wasim from those I've seen are the most skillful. They could do everything with the ball and then they really pioneered the art of reverse swing. They were just as deadly with an old ball which is why I like them best.

Also the left/right.
TFFP is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #47
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Gough and Caddick were fantastic. If only they had some decent bowlers backing them up, England would have been a lot better in the 90's. Prime Gough and Caddick would be certainties for the England side today.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #48
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I prefer Ambrose and Walsh, they had more mental fortitude than Wasim and Waqar, who were typical ****stani cricketers that tended to buckle at times under the pump.

Even when Ambrose and Walsh were well past their peak, they still demanded ultimate respect and took stacks of wickets - see England series in 2000.

Ambrose was the supreme fast bowling machine, combining pace, accuracy and a willingness never to lose a one on one with a batsmen. He detested singles off his bowling as well.

Walsh was less accurate, but just as quick and used bounce and angles to destroy left handers at will. Had the stamina and balls to run in all day with the same vigour as first thing in the morning.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #49
nufc16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
What were/are your favourite new-ball partnerships? I remember when WI had Ambrose and Walsh and SA had Donald and Pollock. All 4 were fantastic bowlers who were may favourites in the late 90's. Then you had Waqar and Wasim before them but I;m too young too have seen them in their prime but remember them towards the end of their careers.

I used to always watch the England Tests on channel4 as a kid when we were rubbish (the Nasser Hussain era). We had the likes of Tudor, Ramrakash, Croft, McGrath, Tuffnell, Butcher, White etc.We used to constantly chop and change the team anf get beat by the likes of Zimbabwe .
tbf, i think we started getting better under hussain. it was the atherton era when it all went abysmally. not really his fault, more the selection policy at the time.
nufc16 is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #50
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Caddick was a bit of frontrunner and big time bottler. His best spells always seemed to be in dead rubbers.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #51
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Caddick was a front runner - and got a lot of soft wickets. Steve Waugh admitted in his book that Caddick had all the attributes, but lacked mental toughness.

The Aussies used to just see off the new ball and punish the other England bowlers.

A peak Darren Gough would get in any team in the world ATM, never mind just England.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #52
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufc16 View Post
tbf, i think we started getting better under hussain. it was the atherton era when it all went abysmally. not really his fault, more the selection policy at the time.
England started to improve towards the end of the Nasser Hussain era. Basically when Duncan Fletcher came we started to become more consistent in selection and performances.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #53
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Hussain was one tough ****er though - not many players in the 80's received suspensions for accusing players of not putting in.

He was a very hard captain, which is what England needed, because from 1987 onwards the team became too soft and unwilling to get at the opposition. He wanted this to change, and had a big say in getting the players that he wanted.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #54
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

That's the impression I get of Caddick. I wasn't a great fan of cricket back then as I'm only a youngster, but having read up and watching footage he seems more impressive than what he produced. He seemed like he had the height, the pace and the movement...but he lacked mentality. This seems to be such a common theme with England cricketers.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #55
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
That's the impression I get of Caddick. I wasn't a great fan of cricket back then as I'm only a youngster, but having read up and watching footage he seems more impressive than what he produced. He seemed like he had the height, the pace and the movement...but he lacked mentality. This seems to be such a common theme with England cricketers.
He also had the ears . Agree mentality was a lot to do with his under-achievement, especially against the Aussies who he never produced his best against.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #56
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

He wasn't helped by a poor selection policy in the 90's though.

You have a poor Test match, and get the boot, despite taking 8 wickets in the previous one.

Some pudding gets 7/40 against a university side on a seaming wicket and ends up in the Test side.

Mike Smith, anyone?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #57
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

He still finished with an average under 30 though which is impressive by todays standards. Better than any current England bowler, barring Sidebottom.

I'd always want to average under 30 if I was a bowler

50 as a batsman with todays wickets and bowling attacks, at least 45.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #58
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

From the late 90's onwards (start of career) you would want to be looking at mid-40's as a bat, 28 with the ball.

Now, 48 and 30 are the benchmarks IMO.

Sachin Tendulkar and Ponting are superstars...... well over 100 Tests and averaging in the mid-50's.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #59
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

They ain't as good as Taylor though as you claim. Tendulkar is a lot better since he's been doing it since a teen, with all the weight of a cricketing country on his shoulders...and often in fine style. Plus he currenty holds all kinds of records.

Ponting is a modern day player that averages 50 odd. He plays on flat tracks in Australia against mostly poor bowling attacks, he's never had to face his own Australian bowlers like the rest of the world. And I mean Warne and McGrath not Hauritz and Siddle. He's often looked like a fish out of water when in alien conditions in India, and his ability to play spin whilst improved is still questionable. I rate Ponting as one of the best players of this generation, but as far as great batsman of all-time not highly.

Each team except England and the weaker nations seems to have two players averaging 50 now which diminshes his statistics somewhat.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #60
Mooresy
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I would take Moore to win the EBU title as well. I agree with you about Pryce - beating him wouldn't do any harm, but would waste time, and he has been treading water now for the past 15/18 months.

154 isn't the strongest division as you say - winning the EBU will most likely get him a top-10 WBC ranking. If he has a valid passport I see little reason why he cannot land a shot.

I think we all know why Jennings has got the Cotto fight
Already number 10 BB, couple of wins and i'll right up there. Come on!!
Mooresy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum