Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
InHumanForm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default world cup of boxing????

someone please fill me in on this...i never heard of it until this past saturday but who decided to call this the world cup of boxing? is that the official name? was it a one weekend philipino vs mexico thing? how long will it last? what the hell? i'm entirely confused and have never heard of this before.
InHumanForm is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: world cup of boxing????

Its just a marketing ploy by GBP to profit from nationalistic pride.

I like it because people actually gives a rat ass about non-important undercard fights.

I also find it hillarious how so many people here have took this thing very seriously.
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
jopez707
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 497

Oscar is very smart doing this, pitting some of Mexico'd best fighters and prospects against other fighters from around the world. First it was against Thailand this last time against the Philippines. Did the contender not bite off him during their recent Contender vs. ****** (U.K.) fighters. I wonder what the next matchup will be.
jopez707 is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Golden Boy set it up between Mexico and the Philippines and probably made some good money. It was 6 fights and the Filipinos won 5 of them - with their only loss being Rey Bautista who was stopped in 1.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Luzon
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Golden Boy set it up between Mexico and the Philippines and probably made some good money. It was 6 fights and the Filipinos won 5 of them - with their only loss being Rey Bautista who was stopped in 1.
That one stoppage kinda made it a draw in my heart. From the acoustics of my 7.1 surround sound, both were throwing crisp punches and you can just see the preperation that went into it from both camps. That fight really took my breathe away even though the P.I. was up 5-0 when Bautista lost It felt like it was 3-3. Penalosa has no more future in boxing cuz hes old so as happy as I could be for him, I was more saddened by the loss of potential I saw in Boom boom
Luzon is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
jopez707
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzon
That one stoppage kinda made it a draw in my heart. From the acoustics of my 7.1 surround sound, both were throwing crisp punches and you can just see the preperation that went into it from both camps. That fight really took my breathe away even though the P.I. was up 5-0 when Bautista lost It felt like it was 3-3. Penalosa has no more future in boxing cuz hes old so as happy as I could be for him, I was more saddened by the loss of potential I saw in Boom boom
U know I pretty much agree with that assessment, though it was a great end to a good career for Penalosa; he is done as you say. Boom was the future of Philippines boxing and he was destroyed. He may never recover, I'd hate to see him put in with any top jr. featherweight. Caballero, VAsquez, Marquez, Gonzalez they would all ko him in short order. Maybe now Banal or Gorres will carry on the torch; they have good skills and much better defenses.
jopez707 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum