Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-13-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Benn V McClelland - In reference to the other thread

I have just sat & re-watched the fight. I am man enogh to admit that around about rd. 5 McClelland is definatley showing signs of distress , Some strange reactions to shots etc
I now think that G did bring some kind of internal problem into the ring that night however it certainly didnt effect him early in the fight & I just think that Benns huge shots especially in rd. 2 obviously must have acted as a catalyst for the inevitable outcome. In a previous thread I did dismiss G's problem & for that I think I may owe SWEET PEA an apology.
However there is no way on earth , as someone else posted , that G was dominating Benn , no way at all. Obviously Benn lost the first with a kd but then I gave him 2,4,5,6,7 , 3 was even stevens for me but then he had Benn in trouble in 8 & in all fairness he looked like he'd go on to win the fight before the "stoppage" .
Regardless of any personal feelings that people have for McClelland you have to admire his chin as some of the shots he took of Benn were monstrous on the same token Benn showed the heart that made him so popular as a fighter & again his durability was amazing , Both contributed to one hell of a scrap & it makes what happened so tragic from a boxing sense.
I'd also like to mention the sheer noise of the crowd , an unbelievable atmosphere & another reason why I think you will not get a better atmosphere ANYWHERE in world boxing ........
P.S. - you can catch the whole fight on Youtube.........
Taffyy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
bill poster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Benn V McClelland - In reference to the other thread

I remember watching the fight at a pub in Notting Hill Gate- the atmosphere was one of the best ever because no one rated Benns chances. Then of course, celebrations not realising the tragedy unfolding in the ring
bill poster is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
bigG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

as i posted on the original thread, the fight had it all, and i think if anyone watches it who previously thinks the g man dominated benn, they must surely see, as taffy says, the constant amount of huge, hurtful shots mclellan took.......benn was winning the FIGHT if not on the scorecards, certainly physically......there was only going to be one outcome from the end of the first round..(see my post on the other thread for reference..)..this fight will remain indelibly etched on my conscience as the reason i love and abhor myself at times for loving, boxing....
bigG is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It certainly was brutal.............We all love boxing but no one can take shots like that without repercussion sooner or later............
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Drofrah
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 814

I watched this fight when i was 10, had me hooked on boxing, so it probably remains my favourite of all time. Shame about the outcome.
Drofrah is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
One hell of a fight...........
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
.trunzx
The Hawk

vCash: 966

Bullshit fight. The amount of rabbit punches Benn threw make me sick. 80% of the punches he threw were behind the ear or directly to the back of the head. A good referee would have disqualified him.
.trunzx is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

80%...........****ing grow up !!!!!!!!
What about the massive hook shots he was throwing throughout the fight..........????
No offence but sounds like another bitter american to me..........
Taffyy is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 AM   #9
.trunzx
The Hawk

vCash: 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffyy
80%...........****ing grow up !!!!!!!!
What about the massive hook shots he was throwing throughout the fight..........????
No offence but sounds like another bitter american to me..........
1. Im not american
2. Massive hooks which were icing on top of the cake. Benn hurt Gerald with rabbit punches. It was a matter of time before McClellan would collapse.
3. I can click on the timeline at any point and the first or second punch Benn throws manages to land on the side/back of the head.

You do realize vision (which Gerald lost as a result of this fight) is controlled by the Occipital part of the brain. IE: THE BACK OF THE HEAD.
.trunzx is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
bigG
Contender
ESB Senior Member

benn outfought g man, simple as that...bigger heart, bigger balls...on his night, benn COULD beat any super middleweight..not saying he would have, but had the potential to......not the most skilled, but an unquenchable will to win and big, big power......shame he went out the way he did against the irishman, twice.......
bigG is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
Taffyy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Benn hurt Gerald with Rabbit punches........!!!!!!!!!
Nothing to do with the 20-30 huge hooks that he landed flush throughout the fight then......???????
I agree Benn was a bit on the dirty side but to say he won purely as a result of this is stupid...........His heart & tenacity saw him through. Remember that prior to this fight Gerald had a ring average per fight of no more than 3 rounds whereas Benn had been there and done it , I will not knock McClelland though as the durability & heart he showed was amazing.
The fact is that an underlaying condition brought into this fight was progressed by Benns thunderous head shots with the tragic results being a consequence.........
Taffyy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum