boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563
Default I want an insite into the mind of those rating Bernard Hopkins amongst the top 5 P4P

Insight even.

Now we know old Bernardo has some interesting names on his resume.

We also know at 42 years of age, having seen Tarvers last fight, knowing Winky is an old LMW and knowing Bernardo lost to Taylor twice. We know someone outside the top 10 could have potentially done these things.

There are people though giving Bernardo every benifit of the doubt however, and they place him in the top 5 P4P based on his past achievements.

Now what I want to know is, if both of Bernard Hopkins' arms fell off his body and couldn't be reattached, would you still consider him a top 5 P4P fighter, until his next fight where he would be exposed as being armless - based on his past resume?
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I want an insite into the mind of those rating Bernard Hopkins amongst the top 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Insight even.

Now we know old Bernardo has some interesting names on his resume.

We also know at 42 years of age, having seen Tarvers last fight, knowing Winky is an old LMW and knowing Bernardo lost to Taylor twice. We know someone outside the top 10 could have potentially done these things.

There are people though giving Bernardo every benifit of the doubt however, and they place him in the top 5 P4P based on his past achievements.

Now what I want to know is, if both of Bernard Hopkins' arms fell off his body and couldn't be reattached, would you still consider him a top 5 P4P fighter, until his next fight where he would be exposed as being armless - based on his past resume?
Seeing as how you're a prophet and what not, whenever i see your name i have to read what you said and pick up on your wisdom..
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Default Re: I want an insite into the mind of those rating Bernard Hopkins amongst the top 5 P4P

The bad part is that any young, fit and hungry LHW would have smoked Tarver and the 170 version of Wright in probably more impressive fashion and by that I mean by devastating stoppages. I'm thinking of the Dawson-Diaconu type of younger and hungrier larger men.

Then don't even get me started on the SMW's like Kessler, who'd not only have brutally destroyed Jermain Taylor, but would have massacred Wright moving up in weight and the same to Tarver.

The credit for those wins however over the very same names would have been much less, even though credit in high amount would be deserved.

I really hate this type of garbage mentality when it comes to boxing.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Default Re: I want an insite into the mind of those rating Bernard Hopkins amongst the top 5 P4P

Can one of these Americans who do list him that high answer please.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90
Default Re: I want an insite into the mind of those rating Bernard Hopkins amongst the top 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
The bad part is that any young, fit and hungry LHW would have smoked Tarver and the 170 version of Wright in probably more impressive fashion and by that I mean by devastating stoppages. I'm thinking of the Dawson-Diaconu type of younger and hungrier larger men.

Then don't even get me started on the SMW's like Kessler, who'd not only have brutally destroyed Jermain Taylor, but would have massacred Wright moving up in weight and the same to Tarver.

The credit for those wins however over the very same names would have been much less, even though credit in high amount would be deserved.

I really hate this type of garbage mentality when it comes to boxing.
I agree 100%.

Just around the time of the Winky fight, I stated there were about a dozen SMW's or LHW's that could have done what Hopkins did - and was blasted for it.

I cannot believe people that say, and mean, that Hopkins is the best LHW in the world.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Napoleon
Smokin'
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

An old Bernard Hopkins beats any version of Calzaghe.
Napoleon is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesandman
I agree 100%.

Just around the time of the Winky fight, I stated there were about a dozen SMW's or LHW's that could have done what Hopkins did - and was blasted for it.

I cannot believe people that say, and mean, that Hopkins is the best LHW in the world.
Well he did smoke Tarver......
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

Does anyone rate Bernard Hopkins amongst the top P4P fighters if his arms fall off or not -questionmark-
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
I agree 100%.

Winky and Hopkins(past prime) both struggled with Jermain Taylor for christ's sakes, a guy who could not even compete among the best of the SMW-LHW crop, who s****es by LMW competition and falls apart to pressure.

The funny thing is that Wright's going to accomplish nothing at this point, I couldn't realistically pick him over even an Arthur Abraham level large MW hitter and then people will realise what the win meant in hindsight. Then when Pavlik starches Jermain Taylor with relative ease, the entire triad of Winky-Taylor-Hopkins comes to perfect conclusion, but everyone will act like they were of this line of thought all along.

And look, I LOVE Hopkins, he's been a pleasure to watch through his career, I have nothing against the man himself.

I do get heavily annoyed when P4P recognition is kept within a 'set group' of fighters and therefore blocks out many great talents that could even destroy that 'set group' with relative ease.

Hopkins and Wright are still top 10, tied with Jermain Taylor for recent resume at that and Mikkel Kessler is not top 10, or even small guy Ivan Calderon, who highly deserves a top 10 ranking.

The ironic thing is that Kessler has beaten several large SMW's that would have smoked Jermain Taylor, ending that ridiculous fraud, but fighters of Taylor's western earning potential only go after the set of names, they don't theoretically go for avoided challenges.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Although beating Tarver hardly proves he is the best LHW.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
thesandman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader
Well he did smoke Tarver......
That's my point. Tarver is nothing special - lots of SMW's and LHW's would have beat Tarver fighting the way he fought Hopkins.
thesandman is offline  Top
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 PM   #12
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon
An old Bernard Hopkins beats any version of Calzaghe.
How? His faded timing(his biggest weapon against JC). His necessary conservative pace? His record against larger men with great foot and handspeed?

Give me a break.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

Quote:
That's my point. Tarver is nothing special - lots of SMW's and LHW's would have beat Tarver fighting the way he fought Hopkins.
Gotta agree with you there, Tarver fought like ****... Clinton Woods would have destroyed him that night, along with Kessler, Calzaghe, Dawson just to name a few.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #14
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

None of those lunatics that love old Hopkins so much have answered the question yet.

They have probably all suffered strokes due to the thinking involved in deciding whether an armless Bernard Hopkins is indeed a top 5 P4P fighter.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #15
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The thing with Wright is that people had him highly regarded before the Hopkins fight. Before that, most would have him even money at least with people around his weight. Or only slight underdog at most. Now he is being talked about like his defense is weak, whereas before it was being touted as the best of his generation.
Marnoff is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum