Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
$.02
Undisputed Heavyweight
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Jack Johnson DID NOTHING for Black athletes.!

YES I SAID IT!

A few years ago I had to do some research on Jack Johnson for a paper in High School. Around that time that docuementary came out on Jack Johnson "Unforgivable Blackness". Then as usual, people watched and started goin on on about how he paved the way for black athletes. I was disgusted by this because it was so far from the truth. In my opinion, this takes away from Joe louis, Who was the first and only real black athlete to pave the way for future black athletes. I am shocked that many people here say he paved the way as well, when he DID NOTHING!

JOE LOUIS did the most for black athletes...

In fact, Johnson refused to fight any black fighters and he did more damage to the black race than anyone. He did so much damage that they wouldn't even PERMIT a black man to fight for the title.... for years! So, many other black fighters could have been world champions, after Johnson, but they weren't allowed. He didn't care what he did for black people.

He would tell you point blank: 'I'm not obsessed with trying to be a black patriot... I'm not trying to open doors for anyone else... I just look out for the pleasures of Jack Johnson!' When he beat Jess Willard, and black people were getting killed all over the country because they celebrated his win... he didn't care. Johnson's main object and enjoyment was creating pain and misery for the white establishment. But, he was a smart businessman too. He always had money. He was protected, to a certain degree, and was a big figure in the underground world of gamblers and prostitutes. That's why he was able to operate in the white world. He had white people in power that he controlled. He was making money on the side with his brothels and was able to buy his way out of things.

Now, people who don't know any better, are trying to get Congress to pardon Johnson for violating the Mann Act (transporting a woman across state line for immoral purposes). But he was not innocent of that. No one set him up. He did it! He knew the girl. He was a pimp in Chicago and that's how he made most of his money. He hardly made any money from fighting. There was one instance where Johnson got mad at someone in town because they wouldn't let him into a movie theater because he was black. So, he went and withdrew $25,000 out of his bank account. He took his wife and 4 of his hookers and blew the money on a weekend trip just to party. You know how much $25,000 was back then? Just for a weekend of fun? He did that just to show off.

Then, Joe Louis came along. He had a light complexion and was specially groomed to be acceptable. They taught him never to gloat over an opponent... to be humble and respectful, and to be the complete opposite of Jack Johnson. So, Louis did more for the black race than any man in history. He was not only a fighter, he opened the door for race relationships. He was the one who made it easier for other generations that came along. When Louis fought Schmelling for a second time, there was never a time in history where the whole world was all united around the radio. It was more than just a fight between two men, in a roped off area in New York. It was a fight against a big movement that was taking over the whole world. It was a fight between good and evil.... and Joe represented good.

So when Joe knocked out Schmelling, no longer were the people in America black or white. They were Americans. Joe Louis, fought for the dignity and the freedom of the free world. That night - especially with the drama of having been knocked out by Schmelling... with the whole world on pins and needles - was like a night that the earth stood still. There . He knwas so much pressure on his shouldersocked Schmelling out so devastatingly that the United States and the whole free world were shouting in the streets. That's when Louis became the biggest hero.... ever. No athlete or any political figure could have done what Louis did that night. He went beyond being a boxer. After that, no one looked so much at black and white anymore. And THAT's what a heavyweight champ is all about.

Do you guys agree with me?
$.02 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Jack Johnson DID NOTHING for Black athletes.!

took my advice did you

i agree with you as Joe Louis was exactly what was needed when he came along and all fighters should use him as an example. a true professional wh claimed he had the ego of Ali but had enough self control to contain it. Shame he ended up on drugs.

Whereas Johnson was exacty the opposite of Louis as he came at the worst possible time where white people hated black people and thought of them as inferiour. He came along and acted like a white man (like he should have been able to) but the white people hated him for it. IMO he set back the civil rights movement afew years.

Also intresting you did it for a school report as i am going to be doing a school repor on Joe Louis and how he helped in the fight against rascism

BTW i am white so theres a whites man perspective on it (but race shouldnt matter in the first place but it did then)
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by $.02 View Post
YES I SAID IT!

A few years ago I had to do some research on Jack Johnson for a paper in High School. Around that time that docuementary came out on Jack Johnson "Unforgivable Blackness". Then as usual, people watched and started goin on on about how he paved the way for black athletes. I was disgusted by this because it was so far from the truth. In my opinion, this takes away from Joe louis, Who was the first and only real black athlete to pave the way for future black athletes. I am shocked that many people here say he paved the way as well, when he DID NOTHING!

JOE LOUIS did the most for black athletes...

In fact, Johnson refused to fight any black fighters and he did more damage to the black race than anyone. He did so much damage that they wouldn't even PERMIT a black man to fight for the title.... for years! So, many other black fighters could have been world champions, after Johnson, but they weren't allowed. He didn't care what he did for black people.

He would tell you point blank: 'I'm not obsessed with trying to be a black patriot... I'm not trying to open doors for anyone else... I just look out for the pleasures of Jack Johnson!' When he beat Jess Willard, and black people were getting killed all over the country because they celebrated his win... he didn't care. Johnson's main object and enjoyment was creating pain and misery for the white establishment. But, he was a smart businessman too. He always had money. He was protected, to a certain degree, and was a big figure in the underground world of gamblers and prostitutes. That's why he was able to operate in the white world. He had white people in power that he controlled. He was making money on the side with his brothels and was able to buy his way out of things.

Now, people who don't know any better, are trying to get Congress to pardon Johnson for violating the Mann Act (transporting a woman across state line for immoral purposes). But he was not innocent of that. No one set him up. He did it! He knew the girl. He was a pimp in Chicago and that's how he made most of his money. He hardly made any money from fighting. There was one instance where Johnson got mad at someone in town because they wouldn't let him into a movie theater because he was black. So, he went and withdrew $25,000 out of his bank account. He took his wife and 4 of his hookers and blew the money on a weekend trip just to party. You know how much $25,000 was back then? Just for a weekend of fun? He did that just to show off.

Then, Joe Louis came along. He had a light complexion and was specially groomed to be acceptable. They taught him never to gloat over an opponent... to be humble and respectful, and to be the complete opposite of Jack Johnson. So, Louis did more for the black race than any man in history. He was not only a fighter, he opened the door for race relationships. He was the one who made it easier for other generations that came along. When Louis fought Schmelling for a second time, there was never a time in history where the whole world was all united around the radio. It was more than just a fight between two men, in a roped off area in New York. It was a fight against a big movement that was taking over the whole world. It was a fight between good and evil.... and Joe represented good.

So when Joe knocked out Schmelling, no longer were the people in America black or white. They were Americans. Joe Louis, fought for the dignity and the freedom of the free world. That night - especially with the drama of having been knocked out by Schmelling... with the whole world on pins and needles - was like a night that the earth stood still. There . He knwas so much pressure on his shouldersocked Schmelling out so devastatingly that the United States and the whole free world were shouting in the streets. That's when Louis became the biggest hero.... ever. No athlete or any political figure could have done what Louis did that night. He went beyond being a boxer. After that, no one looked so much at black and white anymore. And THAT's what a heavyweight champ is all about.

Do you guys agree with me?
Yeah, Joe Louis undoubtley did more more for the opportunities of black people. But unwittingly. Both just had their own best at heart.

No wrong with that, but I'm tired of this hero image of Louis. Did the guy EVER speak out against the terrible unjustices that blacks were victims to during his time? God knows that he eventually became big enough to do it without risking too much. But the guy did fukk all. He was just ruined by the same country that he gave his best years as a pro in service of.

Louis's fate, if any, gives credence to Ali's defiant: "No Viet Cong ever called me n*gger".
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
$.02
Undisputed Heavyweight
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
took my advice did you

i agree with you as Joe Louis was exactly what was needed when he came along and all fighters should use him as an example. a true professional wh claimed he had the ego of Ali but had enough self control to contain it. Shame he ended up on drugs.

Whereas Johnson was exacty the opposite of Louis as he came at the worst possible time where white people hated black people and thought of them as inferiour. He came along and acted like a white man (like he should have been able to) but the white people hated him for it. IMO he set back the civil rights movement afew years.

Also intresting you did it for a school report as i am going to be doing a school repor on Joe Louis and how he helped in the fight against rascism

BTW i am white so theres a whites man perspective on it (but race shouldnt matter in the first place but it did then)

Yes, This was right when the docuementary came out so i thought it would be interesting to point out these things to my teacher and classmate at the time. I remember people felt as if he was the Black Heroe of boxing and sports that was never thanked. I felt that i had to show them he was not thanked for a reason and that Joe Louis was the one that is always being undervalued when it comes to the civil rights movement. He cared about this race and most importantly he gave balck athletes a GOOD image.

Most people automatically jump up to say Muhammad Ali this or Jackie Robinson that...They forget how much Racism Joe faced and still kept his chin high. They forget how much he cared for his fellow black soldiers during War time. I wish Hollywood would make a movie for him like they do for Ali all the time.
$.02 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Yeah, Joe Louis undoubtley did more more for the opportunities of black people. But unwittingly. Both just had their own best at heart.

No wrong with that, but I'm tired of this hero image of Louis. Did the guy EVER speak out against the terrible unjustices that blacks were victims to during his time? God knows that he eventually became big enough to do it without risking too much. But the guy did fukk all. He was just ruined by the same country that he gave his best years as a pro in service of.

Louis's fate, if any, gives credence to Ali's defiant: "No Viet Cong ever called me n*gger".
i m pretty sure he only boxed if the crowds were mixed when many black people werent aloud to watch big fights
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
i m pretty sure he only boxed if the crowds were mixed when many black people werent aloud to watch big fights
If that's correct I humbly offer my apologies to Joe, wherever he might be.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

yeh he definitly only boxed for mixed crowds in the army
Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
$.02
Undisputed Heavyweight
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Do you even know what he did for the black soldiers during the war?
Almost all of the black soldiers came to him about how harsh they were treated. Louis made some calls and made things better for them, though they still did not get equal treatments as the whites, they were treated better.
$.02 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Most people automatically jump up to say Muhammad Ali this or Jackie Robinson that...They forget how much Racism Joe faced and still kept his chin high. They forget how much he cared for his fellow black soldiers during War time. I wish Hollywood would make a movie for him like they do for Ali all the time.
Probably should have tucked it tighter against Schmelling though
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

he was a hell of a guy Joe Louis he was the first black fighter to be adored by the whites realy
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
$.02
Undisputed Heavyweight
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Probably should have tucked it tighter against Schmelling though
Yeah.
$.02 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Do you even know what he did for the black soldiers during the war?
Almost all of the black soldiers came to him about how harsh they were treated. Louis made some calls and made things better for them, though they still did not get equal treatments as the whites, they were treated better.
This is admirable. But I still whish he had been a bigger image during the civil rights movement. Not spewing all the racist nonsense Ali did, mind you, but more in the mold of Jim Brown. Perhaps he didn't get the opportunity, though.

I don't want to put myself out to judge, though, since I, like most people, never really have put my ass in the line to better the situation of others.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
$.02
Undisputed Heavyweight
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
This is admirable. But I still whish he had been a bigger image during the civil rights movement. Not spewing all the racist nonsense Ali did, mind you, but more in the mold of Jim Brown. Perhaps he didn't get the opportunity, though.

I don't want to put myself out to judge, though, since I, like most people, never really have put my ass in the line to better the situation of others.

Yes. He could have.

I think he was a beaten man to do it though. He had too many problems man.
$.02 is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

you have all probably heard this stroy but joe louis was an inspiration to all black people around his time and alot of white people. but black people worshipped him.

heres an example and the story

a young black amn was found guilty of murder and was sentanced to death by gas chamber

when his day came he went to the gas chamber and his last words were 'save me joe louis'

that sums up how inspirastional joe was
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Yeah, he just turned about and called Frazier the equivalent of a n*gger.

Oh that Ali!
Russell is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum