boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How should we rate Felix Trinidad when Compared to Roberto Duran & Pipo cuerves?

Check out the kayo of Davey Boy Green. Brutale!
la-califa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
$.02
Undisputed Heavyweight
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: How should we rate Felix Trinidad when Compared to Roberto Duran & Pipo cuerves?

When i said that i met some feather fisted fighters and shook hands wit them, i meant in a context that they all have strong grips.

When you shake someone's hand and the grip is string, it does not automatically mean that they have great KO Power.

when meeting Floyd Mayweather back in 2006, i gave him a hand shake and his grio and his hands were very strong, so soes that mean his power is in the league of Hearns or a Duran?

NO. By shaking someone's hands one cannot indicate if that person has Stron KO power. This is what i was trying to say. Sorry if my words were misunderstood.
$.02 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
dnr0720
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
Check the Ranzany, Finch, Price fights. Throw in Lalonde too. He stopped 25 of his 36 opponents (wins). He turned the first hearns fight with his power. He stopped Benitez. He stopped Duran (sorry, Duran took the easy out, but it was headed that way). Punching power wasn't his calling card because he had other attributes, but he's one of the sharpest punchers ever at 147.
That's the key it was the speed and accuracy that was much more the weapon then the actual power. When you don't see a punch coming that makes it all the more powerful. I really don't think he would have stopped Duran (of course that's just opinion)
dnr0720 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnr0720 View Post
That's the key it was the speed and accuracy that was much more the weapon then the actual power. When you don't see a punch coming that makes it all the more powerful. I really don't think he would have stopped Duran (of course that's just opinion)
Yes, the Duran stoppage is debatable and I won't waste any more time on that point. To each his own on that one.

And I take your point about why Leonard knocked guys out. But does that make it any less devastating? The Price and Green fights were scary. Those guys were in some serious trouble.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
dnr0720
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
Yes, the Duran stoppage is debatable and I won't waste any more time on that point. To each his own on that one.

And I take your point about why Leonard knocked guys out. But does that make it any less devastating? The Price and Green fights were scary. Those guys were in some serious trouble.
No not at all they were scary and devestating. But I just don't think of Leonard as a devestating puncher, He's definately not feather fisted either. It maybe as you say he so many other atributes that the power just doesn't stand out to me. You know what I mean if someone asked you who do you think the most devestating punchers are? is Ray Leonard really gonna jump out at you?. Again this is all debateable that's why I love this sport
dnr0720 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #21
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

$.02 here is just trying to look for approval from the posters of the Classic Boxing Forum to get back at the at other posters in the General Boxing Forum for not agreeing with him that "Trinidad was vastly overrated, especially his power"

Here's a link if anyone's interested:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #22
True Writer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriba View Post
Having met Tito before around 1998-ish, the dudes handshake is extremely strong. I'm sure the wraps helped...but Tito was a naturally strong man. I have no doubt a lot of his power was legit.

You can't tell how strong a man is by is hand shake for ****s sake???
True Writer is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #23
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I can't believe that in 40 fights prior to the Hopkins fight nobody knew he was illegally taping his hands and why only do one if nobody notices it why not do both? I doubt the trainers (who watch the opponent’s hands wrapped) of the 40 fighters before Bernard's just fail to notice something as major as this. Hopkins team probably made it up to anger Tito since that was Bernard plan at all the press conference's as well they wanted Tito to try to take Hopkins out which would make him an easier target which worked.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #24
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Writer View Post
You can't tell how strong a man is by is hand shake for ****s sake???
We also played some ball. The guy has strength. This is a Leonard Ellarbe thread.
Arriba is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
durty dog

vCash: 500

Trinidads power was legit
durty dog is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #26
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Trinidad hit like a truck, but unfortunately missed out on some big names like Whitaker when he was rated and training, Quartey, Lopez, Page. Then of course Oscar showed in their fight that Trinidad may not have been the boxer people thought he was.

Even HBO crew was saying Trinidad was the better pure boxer of the two.
turbotime is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum