Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #31
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why I hate Khan-Barrera. Chirst, it better not say "Khan Barrera" on the posters

It reminds me of a poor mans Pele Reid v Orlin Norris, hopefully with a similar result
riggers is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #32
surreal deal
Liverpool via Krypton
ESB Addict

Default Re: Why I hate Khan-Barrera. Chirst, it better not say "Khan Barrera" on the posters

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
First up, Khan is a puncher and Barrera is old. I don't like seeing a fighter who is past it step in with a puncher, regardless of the economics.

More than that, what the **** has Khan done to deserve to spend an evening in Barrera's company watching his old fight videos and learning a thing or two? **** all, it would seem. Let Prescott learn from him instead. But economics being what they are, Khan is allowed to step in with a genuine all time great fighter, one of the true legends, on home soil. That's a joke and beyond a joke.

If Khan wins, he's wondering about with a genuine ATG scalp dangling from his belt. 1-1 at a pitiful level (relative to Barrera's achievments) and in he climbs with the master.

I hope Barrera splits Khan's head into two even peices with a right down the pipe. Horrible fight.
I agree with this.Good post.
Whatever happens,Khan can tell his grandchildren he was in with the great Marco Antonio Barrera.That kind of kudos shouldnt be his reward for being KO'd in under a minute.
Yep,Prescott should have got the first hand quality time with a legend.
surreal deal is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #33
rooq
East Side Guru

"should have" doesn't happen in boxing. sports network, like all promotors, will find their man an opponent with the best risk/reward ratio and make the fight happen.

this won't be the first time a prospect has been thrown in with a "legend" to take the next step in his career and the only reason many find it annoying is that khan is overhyped and we know a win will be followed by cringe-worthy press releases.

from khan and ******s point of view, this could be a great opportunity and guarantee big money in the future.
rooq is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #34
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
He's ko'd 3/4 of his opponents. He can certainly hit.
i think its khans speed that creates a lot of ko's for him when his opponents dont see the punch coming, you wouldn't call him a concussive or devastating puncher, barrera hopefully still has his punch resistance
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #35
Brummy1976
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
He's ko'd 3/4 of his opponents. He can certainly hit.
Jesus mate, how do you class that as a puncher ? He has speed which does the damage, hes no way a puncher !
Brummy1976 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #36
John18
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm actually quite angry about this fight.

I realise that makes no sense, but their you go.

BTW, why won't Khan go the British route? If I was talented enough I'd be full of pride to fight for the lonsdale belt.
John18 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #37
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Whats to 'hate' about the fight? Its a great fight for boxing. Khan is taking a risk and 2nd KO will end his career. Barrera is at the end of his career so a loss does not diminish him.

He has seen better days but he is far from shot, he only fought Manny only about a little over a year ago.

Is John Nolasco, Barerra's next opponent deserving of sharing the ring with Barrera? Did you hate Sammy Ventura vs. Barrera?

And about Barrera being shot, he actually did better against Manny in the second fight than the first one. I think the ones that hate this fight also fear the fact that should Khan win they can no longer claim Khan is just a domestic level fighter. Hating this fight has more to do with the 'FEAR' that Khan might be a success.
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #38
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A Khan victory will not prove as much as a victory over Prescott would.

It would be a victory over an aging legend, an aging legend fighting above his highest succesful weight. If he blows Barerra away it would only be because he was shot, no argument there , he could not beat a prime Barerra.

If he loses and i think he will if Barerra turns up with any hunger ( which he did not appear to show against Pac ) then it is a disaster.

I suspect though Pac and Roach suspect he can win, they have spent a lot of time up close with both. I don't fear Khan being a success, and beating an old Barrera won't make him one. He needs to redeem himself against the man who blitzed him imo.
riggers is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #39
Sheikh
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i think mab is the fav. this is a good fight tho, stop trying to criticize khan
Sheikh is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #40
LeadLeftHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggers View Post

It would be a victory over an aging legend, an aging legend fighting above his highest succesful weight. If he blows Barerra away it would only be because he was shot, no argument there , he could not beat a prime Barerra.

If he loses and i think he will if Barerra turns up with any hunger ( which he did not appear to show against Pac ) then it is a disaster.

I suspect though Pac and Roach suspect he can win, they have spent a lot of time up close with both. I don't fear Khan being a success, and beating an old Barrera won't make him one. He needs to redeem himself against the man who blitzed him imo.

If Khan was to fight and beat Prescott right now there would be many saying Prescott is unproven fighter with a padded record which also proves nothing. To say the least even at this stage fighting Barrera is fighting at levels above Thaxton or Murray. Surely, Barrera still would have to be considered among the top lightweights.

In 03 Manny punished Barrera for 11 rounds before knocking him out. Actually Barrera vs Manny in Dec 2007 was closer(Scores: 118-109 (twice), 115-112 ) than Barrera - Pacquiao in 2003.
LeadLeftHook is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #41
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Lets face it, if Khan makes a success of himself there are going to be an awful lot of posters on here with egg on their face.

Give the guy a break, he gets shit for fighting whoever he fights... if he fights a no name he gets shit, if he fights one of the biggest name boxers of the last 15 years - he gets shit.

MAB is not as shot as RJJ, and Khan is nowhere near the level of Calzaghe... whats good enough for Calzaghe... or whats good enough for JMM, and Pac (in MAB), should be more then good enough for a inexperienced 21 year old kid starting out...
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #42
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggers View Post

There are lots of fighters with early unavenged defeats on their records - Hopkins springs to mind. A fighter loses a fight - big deal...
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #43
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

But Hopkins wasnt sent to sleep in less than a minute.

I think people are just fed up with the way all of Khans opponents come with a twist. They're either too old or too light or both. Prescott was the only fighter on his resume who was young and a natural lightweight. Make of that what you will.
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #44
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

I just googled "khan barrera"

4th on list "Christ it better not say Khan Berrara"

Quality.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #45
riggers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Of course plenty of guys have lost early fights. Hopkins lost his debut and returned a long time later. Khan lost a headline PPV event in 50 odd seconds. It was not down the card where no one remembers it, it was all over the news ( for longer than the fight lasted ), it also showed a massive flaw in Khans make up. Until he proves he can go with big punchers there will always be doubts. Beating Barrera will not mean anyone thinks he can beat Prescott. Beating Barrera is a good result, the reason people are pissed off is because they know how Khan and ****** will spin it out afterwards if he does. They will show a complete lack of respect to an ATG.

I hope with all my heart Barrera destroys Khan, if he does it won't be a quick ending ala Prescott it will be a drawn out beating. Fingers crossed
riggers is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum