John18
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Completely torn on Khan - Barrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
I sense a element of fear here..

One minute, Amir Khan is a glass jawed fighter..who will be knocked out by anyone decent.

Next minute..

It almost looks like to me, that people are scared for Antonio Barrera.

Really Scared, this can possibly.....turn very very very bad for Antonio Barrera.
Are you deliberately not analysing the fight?

MAB is a natural FW who campaigned at SBW for years before moving up. Since moving up weights, he has not KO'd opponents on a regular basis for quite some time.

How could anyone say with any certainty that he will KO the guy who is a very big LW? Even though Khan's chin is very dodgy we don't know if MAB has anything above average power at LW.

Secondly, MAB is in my opinion, as close to shot as you can be without looking like Oscar or Erik.

So given Khans assets (hand speed, height, size, referee willing to stop fight asap) it is fair to say it could be a close one.

MAB once had the boxing skills to deal with those assests and get inside to punish the body, if MAB was 2 years younger I would be screaming MAB by stoppage as his body punching would make Khan quit (eventually, the kid has heart). I'm no longer sure he has the skills to pull that off.
John18 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #47
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
Right after the photo was taken Stueys right fist slammed MAB into the assortment of pastel coloured polo shirts behind

lol
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #48
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18 View Post

MAB is a natural FW who campaigned at SBW for years before moving up. Since moving up weights, he has not KO'd opponents on a regular basis for quite some time.

How could anyone say with any certainty that he will KO the guy who is a very big LW? Even though Khan's chin is very dodgy we don't know if MAB has anything above average power at LW.

Secondly, MAB is in my opinion, as close to shot as you can be without looking like Oscar or Erik.

So given Khans assets (hand speed, height, size, referee willing to stop fight asap) it is fair to say it could be a close one.

MAB once had the boxing skills to deal with those assests and get inside to punish the body, if MAB was 2 years younger I would be screaming MAB by stoppage as his body punching would make Khan quit (eventually, the kid has heart). I'm no longer sure he has the skills to pull that off.

great post mate
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #49
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Me too.

I'm completely torn between seeing Khan KO'd in round 1, or humiliated for the duration until his father jumps into the ring to save his son.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #50
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

When I opened this thread I knew Stuey would work his "me and Barrera" picture in somewhere!!!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #51
hit me HARDER

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dempsey View Post
Right after the photo was taken Stueys right fist slammed MAB into the assortment of pastel coloured polo shirts behind
and he emerged from the pile still wearing the pink leather jacket but with a lime green polo shirt beneath it
Old 01-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #52
stuey
Never bet on England
ESB Addict

vCash: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
When I opened this thread I knew Stuey would work his "me and Barrera" picture in somewhere!!!!
blame flint
stuey is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #53
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I saw him and Cotto that day but didn't have a camera. I was surprised how small Cotto was, not tiny but not the beast he looks on TV.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #54
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18 View Post

People can make ready made excuses, just shows their scared.

Good post though...
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #55
stevieb
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I saw him and Cotto that day but didn't have a camera. I was surprised how small Cotto was, not tiny but not the beast he looks on TV.
in think cotto`s overated! he beat a washed up mosely(narrowly)+ judah who`s never beaten anyone(who`s that good) mallignagi`s a punchbag + nothing more! hatton beats cotto in my book!
if kahn beats MAB he deserves credit! MAB`s only 34, younger than calzghe,hopkins,campbell,kliscko,delahoya + mosley!
stevieb is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #56
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
hatton beats cotto in my book!
And of course GazOc would have said that before asking for a picture
icemax is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #57
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
And of course GazOc would have said that before asking for a picture
Somethings are best left unsaid....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #58
hit me HARDER

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
if kahn beats MAB he deserves credit! MAB`s only 34, younger than calzghe,hopkins,campbell,kliscko,delahoya + mosley!
Barrera's been in more wars than all of them put together mate.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #59
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Thats the problem MAB is a small guy (fighters at lower weight don't age well) with a lot of miles on the clock.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #60
toom
Journeyman

.... And that has to be Khan's worry! He is facing a man that has mixed it with the elite and even went twelve with Pac-Man...twice!

Yes, Barrera is 34 and untested for a year and a half but he is tough...he even has a metal plate in his forehead! And if Khan can't knock him down, Barrera may be able to pick him off with one punch.

It's for that reason that we have priced him as the 1/2 favourite to win the bout and 11/8 to stop the youngster, while Khan isn't without a chance at 6/4 - 9/2 to win by KO/TKO

Given Khan's glass-jaw and Barrera's age it seems unlikely the fight will go the distance and as such we have priced a Barrera points win at 11/4 and Khan on points at 3/1.

Report from William Hill. Obviously not all the experts think Barrera is too light and too far past his best (as I originally thought).
toom is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum