Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Marlon Starling vs Shane Mosley

I pick marlon to win this fight, it would be similar to the verrnon forrest fight.Mosley is not as tier above starling, honeyghan or mcgirt. He simply has more 'name' value.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #32
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
I pick marlon to win this fight, it would be similar to the verrnon forrest fight.Mosley is not as tier above starling, honeyghan or mcgirt. He simply has more 'name' value.
Mosley is higher tier than Honeyghan and McGirt. and over Starling. Mosley is not top 10 ATG, but he is HOF and elite. Starling was not.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #33
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Mosley is higher tier than Honeyghan and McGirt. and over Starling. Mosley is not top 10 ATG, but he is HOF and elite. Starling was not.
No hes not, he lost the de la hoya rematch, your just overrating him based on his name. This fight would be a carbon copy of the vernon forrest fight, way too predictable. Starling beat breland, brown, and honeyghan, 3 excellent welters, mosley beat de la hoya once, got a gift in the remtach, and thats about it. Mosley has more name value, hes not better than marlon.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
No hes not, he lost the de la hoya rematch, your just overrating him based on his name. This fight would be a carbon copy of the vernon forrest fight, way too predictable. Starling beat breland, brown, and honeyghan, 3 excellent welters, mosley beat de la hoya once, got a gift in the remtach, and thats about it. Mosley has more name value, hes not better than marlon.
I see your point, but I think Vernon Forrest would have been tough for Marlon. Breland had no chin and still lasted 12 in the rematch, Simon Brown was young when Marlon beat him, and never fought him when Brown got seasons. And Honeyghan was when Lloyd got older, but no complain in that one he beat Lloyd well. I just think the difference is speed. Mosley had speed to offset anything Marlon could do, and Shane would be working the body and beating Marlon to the punch. One thing about Marlon, he held his hands up well, but not many guys could land anything on him even body punches, but Shane could because of speed.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #35
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I see your point, but I think Vernon Forrest would have been tough for Marlon. Breland had no chin and still lasted 12 in the rematch, Simon Brown was young when Marlon beat him, and never fought him when Brown got seasons. And Honeyghan was when Lloyd got older, but no complain in that one he beat Lloyd well. I just think the difference is speed. Mosley had speed to offset anything Marlon could do, and Shane would be working the body and beating Marlon to the punch. One thing about Marlon, he held his hands up well, but not many guys could land anything on him even body punches, but Shane could because of speed.
You can make reasons as to why he he beat simon, but both were in the same stage of thier careers, simon didnt all of a sudden learn how to box as soon as he won his belt, he was undefeated with no blemishes, starling beat him, i give him credit for the win. People always say that about every fighter. "This guy was young, this guy was getting old, or this guy was weight drained', its like no win has any value in a fighters career.

I just think shane will always be troubled by a taller fighter with a great jab and reach, shane was basically a puncher with speed, his defense and jab were never all that, i would comfotably pick marlon to beat him, unless he gets a 'thomas molinares' punch.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #36
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Brown was actually a more rounded fighter when he fought Starling than he was later on during his more famous fights.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #37
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
You can make reasons as to why he he beat simon, but both were in the same stage of thier careers, simon didnt all of a sudden learn how to box as soon as he won his belt, he was undefeated with no blemishes, starling beat him, i give him credit for the win. People always say that about every fighter. "This guy was young, this guy was getting old, or this guy was weight drained', its like no win has any value in a fighters career.

I just think shane will always be troubled by a taller fighter with a great jab and reach, shane was basically a puncher with speed, his defense and jab were never all that, i would comfotably pick marlon to beat him, unless he gets a 'thomas molinares' punch.
Well I didn't mention the Curry fight since Starling was not in my mind fighting prime yet. Lets say he was prime, then Curry beat him and Blocker beat him, although after he moved up and lost to Nunn. He even lost to Bumphus. regardless of circumstances, he was not at the Mosley level even in 1988. His claim to fame was beating Breland, whose claim to fame was being overrated because of a stellar amatuer career. I just don't think beating Breland and Honeyghan really means he is in the class of Mosley. Just by beating Oscar when Oscar was close to prime (although not prime weight, but this was not Mosley original weight either), just those two fights alone put him over Starling. And Marlon never moved up win weight like Mosley did and was sucessful
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 AM   #38
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Well I didn't mention the Curry fight since Starling was not in my mind fighting prime yet. Lets say he was prime, then Curry beat him and Blocker beat him, although after he moved up and lost to Nunn. He even lost to Bumphus. regardless of circumstances, he was not at the Mosley level even in 1988. His claim to fame was beating Breland, whose claim to fame was being overrated because of a stellar amatuer career. I just don't think beating Breland and Honeyghan really means he is in the class of Mosley. Just by beating Oscar when Oscar was close to prime (although not prime weight, but this was not Mosley original weight either), just those two fights alone put him over Starling. And Marlon never moved up win weight like Mosley did and was sucessful
No, those wins dont make him a better fighter, we'll just have to agree to disagree. If oscar fought in the honeyghan-curry-starling-breland-brown era of the welterweight division, he would have suffered a loss. I know the consensus among boxing fans is to pick the fighter with the big name, but de la hoya and mosley would have definetly had some L's on thier record if they fought in that welterweight era. Mosley's claim to fame is de la hoya, his career lives and breathes off that win.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #39
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Mosleys athletic gunslinging would be easily picked off by Starling. Then Marlon would close the gap and do his brilliant inside work. When Shane realises he can't push The Magic Man back to make room to burst he'll wind down and Starling will up his workrate.

Moochy by comfortable decision in an interesting fight.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #40
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Starling was good,but a little overrated over his win over Breland. He was good, but the elite level like Shane would beat him with speed. Shane should just jab and beat Marlon to the punch and win rounds and win a comfortable decision.
He wouldn't land his jab. Single punches rarely got through Starling's guard. And Starling had the better jab.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #41
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
No, those wins dont make him a better fighter, we'll just have to agree to disagree. If oscar fought in the honeyghan-curry-starling-breland-brown era of the welterweight division, he would have suffered a loss. I know the consensus among boxing fans is to pick the fighter with the big name, but de la hoya and mosley would have definetly had some L's on thier record if they fought in that welterweight era. Mosley's claim to fame is de la hoya, his career lives and breathes off that win.
of the guys you mention. I think Shane beats Honeyghan by decision or late knockout. Curry? wow tough fight. Unbelievable actually. I think Mosley is a little quicker and could beat Curry to the punch on and stop him late also. He outboxes brown and to be honest Breland could be a problem for Mosley. Mosley could hurt him, but if Breland can land that right hand like Vernon did who knows. But if Mosley lands on Breland he stops Mark. So..
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #42
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
He wouldn't land his jab. Single punches rarely got through Starling's guard. And Starling had the better jab.
Mosley had elite speed like Oscar has. I think Mosley's jab would have trouble landing ,but when he is inside his body punches would land on Starling on the inside under Starlings arms. Speed is an amazing thing. That variable is hard to figure even when style matchup is analyzed. I think Mosley's speed is the big difference. I don't think Marlon had workclass speed to deal with a guy like Mosley or Delahoya.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #43
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Oscar would move enough to stop Starling getting off too often and working his way into the fight (a non-clowning Moochy would cause him problems with his engine though) but a straight-on guy like Shane is made for Starling.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum