Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
SeasideSlugger
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Hamed Vs Barrera.

All this Khan Vs Barrera talk got me thinking back to the Hamed fight.

Pretty frustrating fight for Hamed really, he'd gotten far too ****y, even a couple of years before he's been saying how he'd "Retire Barrera", and he didn't seem to pay him much mind really. He'd got "one punch" happy thinking he'd just land it and it would be over.

Apart from the turn-buckle incident Barrera was the consumate professional, out boxing and out fighting Hamed. In the middle couple rounds though where Hamed decided he had to box, he showed what could have been. Whether he was in condition to keep it up I don't know.

I'm not saying he would have won or anything but his ego made him miss a potential opportunity. Shame that. The scores were rightly unanimous but it wasn't an utter land slide.

That could have been the making of Hamed, coming back from that, but he never really did, he sort of said "Well if you're not going to keep to my script, i'm not playing any more".He was a better champ than that, surely.

I don't want to see the legend Barrera beaten by Khan but I don't really want to see Khan get battered again, he's a great talent. A barn burning draw where both men get credit for different reasons will suit me.
SeasideSlugger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
El Cepillo
Baddest Man on the Planet
East Side Guru

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Hamed Vs Barrera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasideSlugger View Post
All this Khan Vs Barrera talk got me thinking back to the Hamed fight.

Pretty frustrating fight for Hamed really, he'd gotten far too ****y, even a couple of years before he's been saying how he'd "Retire Barrera", and he didn't seem to pay him much mind really. He'd got "one punch" happy thinking he'd just land it and it would be over.

Apart from the turn-buckle incident Barrera was the consumate professional, out boxing and out fighting Hamed. In the middle couple rounds though where Hamed decided he had to box, he showed what could have been. Whether he was in condition to keep it up I don't know.

I'm not saying he would have won or anything but his ego made him miss a potential opportunity. Shame that. The scores were rightly unanimous but it wasn't an utter land slide.

That could have been the making of Hamed, coming back from that, but he never really did, he sort of said "Well if you're not going to keep to my script, i'm not playing any more".He was a better champ than that, surely.

I don't want to see the legend Barrera beaten by Khan but I don't really want to see Khan get battered again, he's a great talent. A barn burning draw where both men get credit for different reasons will suit me.
History has been re-written for Naz vs. Barrera, a competive fight was turned into a "schooling" and a "land slide". Personally, I just thought Naz burned brightly for a short period of time, had a great career, and then it ended. No regrets.
El Cepillo is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenHoya View Post
History has been re-written for Naz vs. Barrera, a competive fight was turned into a "schooling" and a "land slide". Personally, I just thought Naz burned brightly for a short period of time, had a great career, and then it ended. No regrets.
I agree, it's human nature to hear what we want to hear and see what we want to see - many people had been wanting him to fail for a long time so now it is very easy to look back in throw about words like "schooled" and "exposed" without any futher thought other than a couple of memories of Naseem looking poor in a 20 second Youtube clip of the fight.

The thing that irritates me somewhat is the suggestion that when he finally 'stepped up' he was exposed, this is utter rubbish, by this point in his career he had already faced 7 ring top ten contenders - their unbeaten runs coming into the fights adds up to more than 25 years! If you compare this to many champions it's not a bad set of results!

Steve Robinson - ring#3 - hadn't lost in more than 2 1/2 years
Manuel Medina - ring #9 (was #3 only 6 months ago)
Tom Johnson - ring #1 - hadn't lost in 6 years
Kevin Kelly - ring #5 - hadn't lost in nearly 3 years
Wilfredo Vasquev - ring #4 - hadn't lost in nearly 3 years
Ceaser Soto - ring #5 - hadn't lost in 3 1/4 years
Vuyani Bungu - ring #4 - hadn't lost in 8 years

Not to mention multiple other defences.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

great post matt very true.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
MightyLondoner
Underdog
ESB Full Member

Yeah i agree.. Hamed was a fantastic talent and im a big fan but even i ask myself what could of been? there were so many more fights there for him and i just wish he didnt lose the heart for it.
MightyLondoner is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
BamBam
The Brick Fist Mafia
ESB Addict

To be fair there Matt I think when people talk about Naz stepping up it is a reference to the absolute elite level. There were loads of mega, mega fights in the offing if Naz had have kept at it. The lads you listed are fine fighters in their own right but the absolutely huge Hall of Fame kind of fights were there if he wanted them.

However he didn't want them and went off the radar after that. It was his own perogative to do so and he was more than entitled to take that choice. What bothers me is all this what if he did this or that or the next thing. He could have done this or he could have done that if he had gone on. It's all bollocks, the fact of the matter is he didn't go on and do all these special things that people say he could have. End of story.

I actually just watched the Barrera fight again when this one was announced. It wasn't a schooling. However, it was a very clear cut victory to Barrera. I had him winning by 5 points but bring that down to 4 after the deduction.
A couple of the judged had a 4 point gap coming down to 3 after the deduction.
8 rounds to 4. That to me is clear cut and comprehensive without being a crushing victory
BamBam is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
ShadowWorks
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Let sleeping dogs lay.
ShadowWorks is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
stevieb
Journeyman

i reckon hamed had the potential to become an all time great but he blew it! what a waste! dont get me wrong he still had an impressivr record but he should have screwed the nut and rematched MAB! unfort6unatly cause he quit,all the haterz can say he wis exposed against MAB!. (his own fault!)
stevieb is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
toom
Journeyman

I'm glad Hamed got his arse kicked. His attitude always stunk. He lost any respect I might have had after he beat Steve Robinson. "Stevo" was an incredibly brave, determined fighter, who was out of his depth agianst Hamed. He still deserved his respect, but got **** all. I'm only sorry Hamed didn't fight on, and get hammered again.
toom is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Hamed lost that fight long before he got in the ring with MAB. He was so caught up in his own hype and far to busy worried about his haircut than he was training for the fight. Bearing in mind that sheep Oscar Suarez (R.I.P) was his trainer he only made matters worse by not admonishing him at all or working on his boxing.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I still believe that a prime, focused and determined Hamed would have been more than a match for Barrera and I believe he would have beaten him.

Hamed gets grossly underrated on this forum by some.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #12
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Thats because half these numpty have barely seen a fraction of his fights. You best believe a focused and on point Naz would have knocked Barrera out thats real.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Thats because half these numpty have barely seen a fraction of his fights. You best believe a focused and on point Naz would have knocked Barrera out thats real.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Raashid
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
It's just Americans who deride Hamed though isn't it?

But this highlights how much Frank ****** has to answer for in ruining the legacies of the best British talent. I was reading some old copies of Boxing Monthly from back in 1995 and before Hamed fought Robinson, the WBO had made Hamed the mandatory challenger for the super-bantam title - held at the time by none other then Barrera who had already built a reputation stateside.
Imagine the waves Hamed would have made then, aged 21 at the peak of his reflexes, taunting and dancing around Barrera whilst dishing out a pounding. Instead, ****** pushed Hamed to move up above his natural weight and pulled strings with the WBO to get him to be the mandatory featherweight, despite having never fought at the weight.

Another article in Boxing Monthly a few years later after Hamed had beaten Tom Johnson suggested that Hamed's aims to unify all the belts and fight the best US and MExican contenders was being blocked by Don King - because ****** was freezing him out of a role in Hameds career. Although the mag was cautious in its words, it did hint a slight admonishment, stating that "had ****** enjoyed the full co-operation of King, Hamed's US career would have been well under way". ****** had Hamed earning millions from mediocre defences so the rot set in early with Hamed.

Recently HAmed apparently told ****** that the biggest mistake he made was leaving ******'s outfit and going alone. He was wrong, the biggest mistake he made was not leaving sooner.
Raashid is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raashid View Post
It's just Americans who deride Hamed though isn't it?

But this highlights how much Frank ****** has to answer for in ruining the legacies of the best British talent. I was reading some old copies of Boxing Monthly from back in 1995 and before Hamed fought Robinson, the WBO had made Hamed the mandatory challenger for the super-bantam title - held at the time by none other then Barrera who had already built a reputation stateside.
Imagine the waves Hamed would have made then, aged 21 at the peak of his reflexes, taunting and dancing around Barrera whilst dishing out a pounding. Instead, ****** pushed Hamed to move up above his natural weight and pulled strings with the WBO to get him to be the mandatory featherweight, despite having never fought at the weight.

Another article in Boxing Monthly a few years later after Hamed had beaten Tom Johnson suggested that Hamed's aims to unify all the belts and fight the best US and MExican contenders was being blocked by Don King - because ****** was freezing him out of a role in Hameds career. Although the mag was cautious in its words, it did hint a slight admonishment, stating that "had ****** enjoyed the full co-operation of King, Hamed's US career would have been well under way". ****** had Hamed earning millions from mediocre defences so the rot set in early with Hamed.

Recently HAmed apparently told ****** that the biggest mistake he made was leaving ******'s outfit and going alone. He was wrong, the biggest mistake he made was not leaving sooner.
Good post. It must be noted that ****** has always made himself and his fighters richer via the least path of resistance. Objectively Naz was no diffrent. The WBO when it was created in 1989 was a godsend for Frank. The result is the garbage we have today.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum