Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,184
vCash: 75
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideOfWales View Post
Call me a cynic but I get the impression that this is all some kind of gimmick. I cannot envisage Khan actually getting in the ring to fight Barerra because of Frank ******. I get the impression that something will happen in the build up to the fight that means MAB pulls out and is replaced by some 16-1 prospect coming off 2 wins in a row (on points) against opponents who have been KO'd before.

I hope I'm wrong on this one but I feel I know Frank ******'s train of thought enough to be 76% sure that this fight will not go ahead as it's been announced.
I know where you are comeing from, and I would not be surprised if it happend.

Having said that, please give Khan respect for taking this fight... if he does - you can't have it both ways (not you, but the haters on here).
JonOli is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport Essex innit
Posts: 5,847
vCash: 75
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli View Post
I know where you are comeing from, and I would not be surprised if it happend.

Having said that, please give Khan respect for taking this fight... if he does - you can't have it both ways (not you, but the haters on here).
Don't get me wrong, I think Khan has the guts to take on anyone. He really impressed me with the level of maturity he showed when interviewed after the Prescott loss. I've no doubt that Khan thinks he can remedy the weaknesses and iron out the faults. And it would be great to see this young kid battle back from being completely written off and against the odds, manufacture a way to achieve high levels of success in the sport. I'd take a lot of heart from that and it would be pretty inspirational stuff. But I'm not sure the man guiding his career has the same faith.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,619
vCash: 664
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideOfWales View Post
But I'm not sure the man guiding his career has the same faith.
I've got a sneaky feeling that this match-up has more to do with Freddy Roach than it does with FW.
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #19
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport Essex innit
Posts: 5,847
vCash: 75
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
I've got a sneaky feeling that this match-up has more to do with Freddy Roach than it does with FW.
You think ****** would let Khan's trainer handpick an opponent for him ever again?

Let's hope Freddie didn't have a potential list of opponents and was asked to point at the one he wanted if that's the case.

You could be right though in all seriousness. MAB is an American name, proven and trusted on that side of the pond. A good name even and still enough left to pose a threat. Wouldn't happen in a million years unless there was a world title on the line if there was purely British involvement.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
bored
rent boy
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 887
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Great tags.

If it didn't happen and you pre-ordered the fight on SBO couldyou watch it then demand your money back because there was no Barerra and that's who they promised?
bored is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 13,619
vCash: 664
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideOfWales View Post
You think ****** would let Khan's trainer handpick an opponent for him ever again?
I don't think Freddy would hang around if all he was doing was preparing Khan to take on any more Fagans.

I have just seen a clip of Frank on Sky Sport and to be honest he looked as shocked a anyone at the opponent. He said that MAB would start as favourite but come fight night he would have a few quid on...pause, pause...stutter...look away from the camera and mutter "the draw". He looked very nervous and uncomfortable
icemax is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #22
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
I don't think Freddy would hang around if all he was doing was preparing Khan to take on any more Fagans.

I have just seen a clip of Frank on Sky Sport and to be honest he looked as shocked a anyone at the opponent. He said that MAB would start as favourite but come fight night he would have a few quid on...pause, pause...stutter...look away from the camera and mutter "the draw". He looked very nervous and uncomfortable
Are you serious? Was this on Friday Fight Night?
dan-b is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #23
Pug1list
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 100
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Yeah was on last night.
Pug1list is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #24
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug1list View Post
Yeah was on last night.
Was it at the end after the fights had finished?
dan-b is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #25
Pug1list
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 100
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheWhiner View Post
Was it at the end after the fights had finished?
Yeah, right at the end of the show.
Pug1list is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #26
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Korea via Manchester
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 1667
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Thats a very serious accusation that just doesn't stain Khans character but also that of an amateur all time great. Throwing a fight for whatever reason is the worst thing that a fighter can do and people should be a little more circumspect about throwing allegations around without concrete proof.
Watching the fight was proof enough. He was not bothered once by Khan in the Olympic final, then a few months later he flies over to the UK for a one off amateur fight against Khan and gets battered, whilst throwing very little back.

Who the **** was Khan in Cuba? Nobody, just another finalist beaten by the great Kindelan, what on earth would possess him to fight here against a guy he had beaten both times he faced him and which was for no title, not endorsed by the Cuban boxing authorities and meaningless?

I'll tell you what. Money. And a pick stack of it, given with conditions. Don't try too hard, let the kid box and don't be so evasive.

I don't even think Khan knew about it, he has a lot of self belief and will have watched the final on tape and thought he could have done better and believed he had it in him to win.
****** fixed it, no doubt in anyones mind who watches the two fights.

Kindelan went from being in total control of space and timing in the final, to being utterly outclassed and unable to slip a shot a few months later. When has such an amateur fight ever happened before? And then surprise surprise Khan no longer feels the need to win a gold, because he just whooped the worlds best and the only guy who stopped him from getting gold before, so let's go pro.
Strike is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #27
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug1list View Post
Yeah, right at the end of the show.
Must have been how I missed it then. I'll try and catch it again later.
dan-b is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #28
D Coldwell
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 287
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

I think the fight happens, would be shocked if it doesn't.

Great fight for Amir. Great fight for Frank ******.

Barerra is 35, fought once at lightweight and looked fat and slow.
However, he is very very clever and a legend, which gives just enough positives to make people think he has a chance of beating khan.

He has utmost respect amongst British fight fans so everyone will turn out, so from a promoters point of view along with the intrigue and anticipation of the fight, it will be a success.

Khan will be too fast and too big for Marco, for me, it will be sad to see a legend taken apart like i think he will.. much the same as it was watching De La Hoya v Manny Pac.
But a great win here will launch Khan big time, despite Barerra's age etc, so its the best fight out there for him personally at this moment in time.
D Coldwell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #29
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Asia, via Scotland
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
Watching the fight was proof enough. He was not bothered once by Khan in the Olympic final, then a few months later he flies over to the UK for a one off amateur fight against Khan and gets battered, whilst throwing very little back.

Who the **** was Khan in Cuba? Nobody, just another finalist beaten by the great Kindelan, what on earth would possess him to fight here against a guy he had beaten both times he faced him and which was for no title, not endorsed by the Cuban boxing authorities and meaningless?

I'll tell you what. Money. And a pick stack of it, given with conditions. Don't try too hard, let the kid box and don't be so evasive.

I don't even think Khan knew about it, he has a lot of self belief and will have watched the final on tape and thought he could have done better and believed he had it in him to win.
****** fixed it, no doubt in anyones mind who watches the two fights.

Kindelan went from being in total control of space and timing in the final, to being utterly outclassed and unable to slip a shot a few months later. When has such an amateur fight ever happened before? And then surprise surprise Khan no longer feels the need to win a gold, because he just whooped the worlds best and the only guy who stopped him from getting gold before, so let's go pro.
sums it up nicely.

as for Khan-Barrera...so Barrera is scheduled to fight later this month then is gonna fly to England to fight again a few weeks later? Possible but would be unusual. What if Barrera is knocked out cold later this month?

pridefwales could be right that ****** already has Khan's real opponent lined up and he'll be revealed after Barrera slips a disc/all the tickets are sold.
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #30
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What are the chances of Barerra vs Khan ACTUALLY happening?

I agree that something seems to be odd about this selection..... could be a number of reasons..

a) ******s cleaning out his closet and needs to make Khan into either a star or a dole boy no more in between.

b) Barrera is on a nudge nudge wink wink agreement.

c) SN know that Barrera is shot to shit.

d) SN will try the late opponent swap with two weeks to go if the board refuse Barrera a license.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013