Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300
Default Pinklon Thomas v Gerrie Coetzee

I recently reviewed a few fights i hadn't seen in years , and this fight was a classic.. Pinklon was a better heavyweight than many give him credit for, if he was around in todays climate he would hold a version because of his whole approach to the game. He was in great condition and always gave his all even until the final seconds of a tough heavyweight battle. The fight was a very exciting draw but it had great drama throughout. I followed Pinkys career and remember how solid his jab was and how fast his hands were as well as a very hot right hand KO punch. The Weaver fight was one of his finest moments , defending his title succesfully against a family member (Mike was related through marriage) I think the heavyweights of the eighties and early nineties were hotter than credited for.. I think sometimes money is thrown around too freely nowadays and top fifteen fighters are far too content on risk free fights , and are no where near as hungry as they were a decade or two ago..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pinklon Thomas v Gerrie Coetzee

Nice post dude, incidentally i agreed with this draw completely.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

I thought Pinklon was a bit lucky to get the draw. He didn't do much over the first 6 or 7 rounds, and the last round I thought was even. I had Coetzee winning about 6-3-1 or 5-3-2 in rounds.

Pinklon was a commendable "one-two" standup boxer. He had a very good chin, but he tended to stand too straight up and leave himself open, and sometimes his intensity was lacking. He also had an on and off drug problems through his career (and life) which hastened his fall from the big scene.

Last edited by My2Sense; 02-26-2010 at 04:13 AM.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
I recently reviewed a few fights i hadn't seen in years , and this fight was a classic.. Pinklon was a better heavyweight than many give him credit for, if he was around in todays climate he would hold a version because of his whole approach to the game. He was in great condition and always gave his all even until the final seconds of a tough heavyweight battle. The fight was a very exciting draw but it had great drama throughout. I followed Pinkys career and remember how solid his jab was and how fast his hands were as well as a very hot right hand KO punch. The Weaver fight was one of his finest moments , defending his title succesfully against a family member (Mike was related through marriage) I think the heavyweights of the eighties and early nineties were hotter than credited for.. I think sometimes money is thrown around too freely nowadays and top fifteen fighters are far too content on risk free fights , and are no where near as hungry as they were a decade or two ago..
NO!!!!! Pinklon Thomas had two good years that he barely got through....... 1984 & '85....... After that, he was done as a serious fighter / contender......... Thomas' biggest wins were over a lazy Tim Witherspoon and a fading Mike Weaver.......... Whooopppeee......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
NO!!!!! Pinklon Thomas had two good years that he barely got through....... 1984 & '85....... After that, he was done as a serious fighter / contender......... Thomas' biggest wins were over a lazy Tim Witherspoon and a fading Mike Weaver.......... Whooopppeee......

MR.BILL
Say what? Barely got thru?

He only had two fights in that time

"Lazy" Tim Witherspoon? Is this excuse making for Tim? Witherspoon was the lightest he'd been since before the Holmes fight. He got beaten once (dubious circunstances) in the next 8 years post Thomas. The Thomas jab plain got the better of it.

Thomas was unbeaten from 78 - 85 and was the first guy to stop Tillis, in 82 then he went straight to this excellent draw against Coetzee, who very next fight pole axed the massively regarded Dokes! The draw vs Coetzee cannot be discounted. I find your comments befuddling. Add to this Holmes avoided the guy like the plague for a good amount of time. He would have been a VERY live opponent in that one.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
Say what? Barely got thru?

He only had two fights in that time

"Lazy" Tim Witherspoon? Is this excuse making for Tim? Witherspoon was the lightest he'd been since before the Holmes fight. He got beaten once (dubious circunstances) in the next 8 years post Thomas. The Thomas jab plain got the better of it.

Thomas was unbeaten from 78 - 85 and was the first guy to stop Tillis, in 82 then he went straight to this excellent draw against Coetzee, who very next fight pole axed the massively regarded Dokes! The draw vs Coetzee cannot be discounted. I find your comments befuddling. Add to this Holmes avoided the guy like the plague for a good amount of time. He would have been a VERY live opponent in that one.
Tim Witherspoon was as bored as hell while in the ring fighting Pinklon Thomas in the summer of '84......... I have this fight on tape; its boring.... Yes, Thomas wins, but this was NOT a classic heavyweight encounter of the 80s......

As for the Mike Weaver fight of '85, Thomas looked sloppy and tired after 4 rds.... Plus, he got cut and rocked by Weaver throughout.... I do like this fight and KO win for Thomas, but Pinklon Thomas did NOT look like a great champion to me in 1985.....

The came Trevor Berbick in 1986....... Christ, Thomas stunk and blew his title..... That was the beginning of the end for Thomas..... Jesus, Ol' Pinklon Thomas was a whopping 28 yrs old and fading fast.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Larry Holmes was burned out and tired in 1985......... His efforts against "Williams & Spinks" told the story.......... However, after he blew his title to Spinks in '85, Larry Holmes regained some lost desire and trained hard to beat Spinks in the '86 rematch on HBO...... Most notable observers agree that Holmes got shafted by the judges in 1986.....

Yeah, Pinklon Thomas had a real good chance at beating Larry Holmes in 1985; had they actually fought....... BUT! Larry Holmes would've kicked Pinklon Thomas' ass hard in 1992 at the age of 42......... A great fighter like Larry Holmes can comeback strong and make a dent or two in the rankings, while Pinklon Thomas was a laughingstock getting his ass kicked by Riddick Bowe in 1990, and scoring some wins / KO's over bums and stiffs that even ESPN or USA would not televise........

Pinklon Thomas was a good fighter from 1982 to 1985...... That is all......... Nowadays, Pinklon Thomas is a forgotten soul in boxing........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Tim Witherspoon was as bored as hell while in the ring fighting Pinklon Thomas in the summer of '84......... I have this fight on tape; its boring.... Yes, Thomas wins, but this was NOT a classic heavyweight encounter of the 80s......
That doesn't mean we should demerit Thomas' win tho. Maybe Witherspoon didn't want to pay the price of upping the ante. Thomas may have had more than just a little to do with Witrherspoon's apparent laziness

Quote:
As for the Mike Weaver fight of '85, Thomas looked sloppy and tired after 4 rds.... Plus, he got cut and rocked by Weaver throughout.... I do like this fight and KO win for Thomas, but Pinklon Thomas did NOT look like a great champion to me in 1985.....
Who's saying he is great tho? He got past a still able power puncher and it was a decent win.

Quote:
The came Trevor Berbick in 1986....... Christ, Thomas stunk and blew his title..... That was the beginning of the end for Thomas..... Jesus, Ol' Pinklon Thomas was a whopping 28 yrs old and fading fast.......
Well given his drug history it was hardly a surprise. He played the hand he dealt himself earlier in life to the best he could i guess.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Larry Holmes was burned out and tired in 1985......... His efforts against "Williams & Spinks" told the story.......... However, after he blew his title to Spinks in '85, Larry Holmes regained some lost desire and trained hard to beat Spinks in the '86 rematch on HBO...... Most notable observers agree that Holmes got shafted by the judges in 1986.....
Fair calls Bill. He lost the first Spinks fight but should have taken the second under any circumstance. Holmes skills had eroded majorly.

Quote:
Yeah, Pinklon Thomas had a real good chance at beating Larry Holmes in 1985, had they actually fought....... BUT! Larry Holmes would've kicked Pinklon Thomas' ass hard in 1992 at the age of 42......... A great fighter like Larry Holmes can comeback strong and make a dent or two in the rankings, while Pinklon Thomas was a laughing stock getting his ass kicked by Riddick Bowe in 1990, and scoring some wins / KO's over bums and stiff that even ESPN or USA would not televise........
What does this matter tho? Who gives a damn what would happen when they are 10 - 20 years past it

You seem to have it in for Thomas, that's for sure. The fact is Holmes openly refused to fight him when the match by all means should have been made. No doubt Holmes would have taken him on when you speak of as Thomas was no risk then. Says it all really.

Quote:
Pinklon Thomas was a good fighter from 1982 to 1985...... That is all......... Nowadays, Pinklon Thomas is a forgotten soul in boxing........
A VERY good fighter i'd dare too say. I wouldn't say he's forgotten, he's just not in the "great" category. Plenty still remember him around these parts, and i've even seen him mentioned in General on occasion, surprise of all surprises
Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Do not Do not Do Not, Mess with John Thomas on the topic of Pinklon Thomas. Thomas will always be a part of Thomas.....Or so I think...Anyway, PT is to JT what Chuck Wepner is to Me. There are some nerves you just shouldn't strike with people.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Do not Do not Do Not, Mess with John Thomas on the topic of Pinklon Thomas. Thomas will always be a part of Thomas.....Or so I think...Anyway, PT is to JT what Chuck Wepner is to Me. There are some nerves you just shouldn't strike with people.
Nooooo i'm not THAT big on him

Am i?

Just giving him his dues in here. Bill is far too hard on him. I mean

"while Pinklon Thomas was a laughingstock getting his ass kicked by Riddick Bowe in 1990"

What is that? Poor bugger fights 9 rounds against a fine up and comer when he's over the hill and has been chosen as such (old battered ex title holder for the young up and comer to hopefully learn a few tricks from with limited risk of losing). I can't see how that makes him a laughingstock

Perhaps he didn't pose for a pic
Old 01-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
Nooooo i'm not THAT big on him

Am i?

Just giving him his dues in here. Bill is far too hard on him. I mean

"while Pinklon Thomas was a laughingstock getting his ass kicked by Riddick Bowe in 1990"

What is that? Poor bugger fights 9 rounds against a fine up and comer when he's over the hill and has been chosen as such (old battered ex title holder for the young up and comer to hopefully learn a few tricks from with limited risk of losing). I can't see how that makes him a laughingstock

Perhaps he didn't pose for a pic

Poor guy. The Morrison fight was ugly, and I remember that one. He also looked pretty pathedic against Mike the bounty Hunter. The only reason I even remember that fight, is because on the same card that evening, Olympic gold medalist Anthony Hembrick got his ass whipped by an unknown named Booker Word.

Anyway, I respect Pink's efforts at cleaning up his life after that. he got off drugs, got himself back into reasonable shape. Put together a winning streak, albeit against mediocrities, but still repaired his record some, and today is apparently working with troubled youth. That's about as happy of an ending as you ever hear about with heroin addicts, many of whom never recover and go to an early grave...So Kudos to Thomas.

For the record, I'm still a bigger fan of the almighty Chuck Wepner - The eighth wonder of the world..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I liked Pinklon Thomas back in 1984 thru 1987...... But I got turned off in 1988 with all his earlier hype as he supposedly was going to be the next "Great" heavyweight champion..... Ring and KO magazine had HIGH HOPES, as did I, for Pinklon Thomas during the mid-80s... By 1986, in was clear that Pinky Thomas had lost focus and direction with his boxing career..... He fought Trevor Berbick without an actual trainer during camp; Thomas trained himself... Pinklon Thomas never again put together a meaningful win in the ring after 1985........ The last five years or so were pretty ugly and nondescript for Pinklon Thomas' boxing career..... I recall Pinky fighting in clubs and undercards in the early 1990s, but them fights were just quick cash and record padding.... I think Jackie Kallen was involved with Pinky Thomas at that time.....

MR.BILL

P.S.

Thomas' jab was at its best against Spoon in 1984...... After that, Thomas' jab really wasn't all that impressive or great........ Thomas' jab was jack shit against "Tyson & Holy" in '87 and 1988.........
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #14
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I always liked Trevor Berbick..... He was an aggressive bull type of fighter.... Berbick had very broad shoulders....... However, as a boxer, he was merely average...... Pinklon Thomas SHOULD'VE been able to beat Berbick on points in 1986..... But Thomas fought like a zombie after the 6th round..... Pinklon Thomas really pissed away his WBC title in '86.......... The bizarre thing is, Thomas never looked like a fat slob with blubber hanging from his hips; he was muscular... But Pinklon Thomas fought Trever Berbick like he was in a trance..... I HAVE ALL these fights on TAPE!! I've seen all these fights several times for review over the years...... Did Mike Weaver ruin Thomas???

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I thought Greg Page was Thomas' boy?

Or am I thinking of someone else?
My2Sense is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum