Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pinklon Thomas v Gerrie Coetzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
I thought Greg Page was Thomas' boy?

Or am I thinking of someone else?
Page lost to "Spoon & Tubbs" in 1984 & 1985.....

MR.BILL

P.S.

Page got revenge over Spoon in 1999 when both guys were way past their best days.........
MRBILL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #17
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Never saw the fight with Coetzee.I do think Pinklon was a good fighter though.Larry Holmes certainly wanted nothing to do with him.I was only in my teens at the time Thomas and the so called lost generation were fighting,and as i remember the only fights we got to see in the uk were delayed view on sports night.I did watch Pinky fight Tyson and was impressed with him,good jab,good chin(he took a load in the 1st)It seemed as though he was a guy who could have been a really good champ but got beaten to it by Mike.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #18
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
Poor guy. The Morrison fight was ugly, and I remember that one. He also looked pretty pathedic against Mike the bounty Hunter. The only reason I even remember that fight, is because on the same card that evening, Olympic gold medalist Anthony Hembrick got his ass whipped by an unknown named Booker Word.

Anyway, I respect Pink's efforts at cleaning up his life after that. he got off drugs, got himself back into reasonable shape. Put together a winning streak, albeit against mediocrities, but still repaired his record some, and today is apparently working with troubled youth. That's about as happy of an ending as you ever hear about with heroin addicts, many of whom never recover and go to an early grave...So Kudos to Thomas.

For the record, I'm still a bigger fan of the almighty Chuck Wepner - The eighth wonder of the world..

Thomas actually conquered (at the time) a bigtime heroin addiction well before his first big fights against Tillis and Coetzee.

Chuck, he's a champ!!! Watched his interview with Ali just the other day. Awesome value.

Hembrick, yes, a disappointment from memory.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #19
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I liked Pinklon Thomas back in 1984 thru 1987...... But I got turned off in 1988 with all his earlier hype as he supposedly was going to be the next "Great" heavyweight champion..... Ring and KO magazine had HIGH HOPES, as did I, for Pinklon Thomas during the mid-80s... By 1986, in was clear that Pinky Thomas had lost focus and direction with his boxing career..... He fought Trevor Berbick without an actual trainer during camp; Thomas trained himself... Pinklon Thomas never again put together a meaningful win in the ring after 1985........ The last five years or so were pretty ugly and nondescript for Pinklon Thomas' boxing career..... I recall Pinky fighting in clubs and undercards in the early 1990s, but them fights were just quick cash and record padding.... I think Jackie Kallen was involved with Pinky Thomas at that time.....

MR.BILL

P.S.

Thomas' jab was at its best against Spoon in 1984...... After that, Thomas' jab really wasn't all that impressive or great........ Thomas' jab was jack shit against "Tyson & Holy" in '87 and 1988.........
Much better post. Tho a bit flat Thomas actually did some good things against Tyson. I was surprised when rewatching it a few months back. He certainly did more that most around the time, just a shame his punches seemed to lack a bit of snap and sting.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #20
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I always liked Trevor Berbick..... He was an aggressive bull type of fighter.... Berbick had very broad shoulders....... However, as a boxer, he was merely average...... Pinklon Thomas SHOULD'VE been able to beat Berbick on points in 1986..... But Thomas fought like a zombie after the 6th round..... Pinklon Thomas really pissed away his WBC title in '86.......... The bizarre thing is, Thomas never looked like a fat slob with blubber hanging from his hips; he was muscular... But Pinklon Thomas fought Trever Berbick like he was in a trance..... I HAVE ALL these fights on TAPE!! I've seen all these fights several times for review over the years...... Did Mike Weaver ruin Thomas???

MR.BILL
It wasn't Weaver that ruined Thomas, and you know it

Pretty much ALL the top heavies from the early 80's put in lackadaisical performances at one time or another, or many times. Thomas was at least solid for some years in a row.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #21
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

In my book, the BEST / GREATEST heavyweight title fights of the 1980s were: "Holmes-Snipes, Holmes-Cooney, Dokes-Weaver 2, Holmes-Spoon, Coetzee-Dokes, Thomas-Weaver, Holmes-Spinks '86, Tyson-Berbick, Tyson-Thomas & Tyson-Bruno 1."

I totally DISCOUNT other 80s title fights like: "Tyson-Spinks, Holmes-M. Frazier, Smith-Spoon, Page-Tubbs, Spoon-Tubbs, Tyson-Smith, Thomas-Berbick, Tyson-Tucker & Tyson-Carl Williams" because these fights were either dull or totally mismatched altogether....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 AM   #22
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
In my book, the BEST / GREATEST heavyweight title fights of the 1980s were: "Holmes-Snipes, Holmes-Cooney, Dokes-Weaver 2, Holmes-Spoon, Coetzee-Dokes, Thomas-Weaver, Holmes-Spinks '86, Tyson-Berbick, Tyson-Thomas & Tyson-Bruno 1."

I totally DISCOUNT other 80s title fights like: "Tyson-Spinks, Holmes-M. Frazier, Smith-Spoon, Page-Tubbs, Spoon-Tubbs, Tyson-Smith, Thomas-Berbick, Tyson-Tucker & Tyson-Carl Williams" because these fights were either dull or totally mismatched altogether....

MR.BILL
Not so sure about Holmes - Snipes. Coetzee - Dokes was actually a bit one sided, but upsets are always eventful i guess. Holmes was routinely beating Snipes, a flash KD, Holmes regains control fast and stops him and Snipes goes childishly ballistic at the end. Not that great a fight IMO. Thomas - Coetzee belongs.

You've also missed what is probably the best Heavyweight fight of the 80's, Dokes - Holyfield.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #23
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Page lost to "Spoon & Tubbs" in 1984 & 1985.....

MR.BILL

P.S.

Page got revenge over Spoon in 1999 when both guys were way past their best days.........
LOL, I was referring to John Thomas, not Pinklon.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #24
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
Not so sure about Holmes - Snipes. Coetzee - Dokes was actually a bit one sided, but upsets are always eventful i guess. Holmes was routinely beating Snipes, a flash KD, Holmes regains control fast and stops him and Snipes goes childishly ballistic at the end. Not that great a fight IMO. Thomas - Coetzee belongs.

You've also missed what is probably the best Heavyweight fight of the 80's, Dokes - Holyfield.
Yes, but "Thomas-Coetzee" and "Dokes-Holy" were NOT title fights..... Still, I agree, damn good stuff for the 80s.......

As for "Holmes-Snipes," I only add it to my list 'cause I watched it live on the tube in '81, and I really did not expect any fireworks to surprise me prior to the event..... Snipes was out-classed, but game.....

I suppose "Holmes vs. Carl Williams" was also a good fight and a bit of a surprise..... Williams was suppose to be fodder for Holmes in '85.... It was a good 15 rd. fight that saw just how old Holmes was getting....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #25
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes, but "Thomas-Coetzee" and "Dokes-Holy" were NOT title fights..... Still, I agree, damn good stuff for the 80s.......

A bit closer reading might have helped me

Quote:
As for "Holmes-Snipes," I only add it to my list 'cause I watched it live on the tube in '81, and I really did not expect any fireworks to surprise me prior to the event..... Snipes was out-classed, but game.....
He was determined alright.

Quote:
I suppose "Holmes vs. Carl Williams" was also a good fight and a bit of a surprise..... Williams was suppose to be fodder for Holmes in '85.... It was a good 15 rd. fight that saw just how old Holmes was getting....
Yeah Holmes was slipping loads by then. Winning as much on heart and determination as anything else. The Holmes heart and determination was huge.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #26
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
=JohnThomas1;3268539] -
Agreed mate. Dokes - Holyfield was definately the best heavyweight fight of the 80's and one of my top all time...
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

I was at the Dokes v Holyfield fight, and it still gives me shivers down my spine when i see a rerun of it, Evander was making a point of taking on the larger heavyweights because of something a US comentator made when he was making the transition to heavyweight. He said the Evander was too small to handle the bigger boys, SO Evander made it his business to fight some monsters first to make a statement.. Tillis, Pinklon , Adilson, Dokes, Douglas, all 230 + guys .. Another fight that i did enjoy for entertainment value was James Tillis only World Title chance against Mike Weaver, it was a damn close call, i remember Tillis rocking Weaver to his boots and letting him survive and losing really because he did not do quite enough work to grab the points win.. I remember Angelo Dundee screaming to Tillis from the corner "Go get the title.."
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #28
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
I was at the Dokes v Holyfield fight, and it still gives me shivers down my spine when i see a rerun of it, Evander was making a point of taking on the larger heavyweights because of something a US comentator made when he was making the transition to heavyweight. He said the Evander was too small to handle the bigger boys, SO Evander made it his business to fight some monsters first to make a statement.. Tillis, Pinklon , Adilson, Dokes, Douglas, all 230 + guys .. Another fight that i did enjoy for entertainment value was James Tillis only World Title chance against Mike Weaver, it was a damn close call, i remember Tillis rocking Weaver to his boots and letting him survive and losing really because he did not do quite enough work to grab the points win.. I remember Angelo Dundee screaming to Tillis from the corner "Go get the title.."
Well, when in the proper shape, Michael Dokes and Tim Witherspoon were the BEST heavies of the 80s just south of "Holmes & Tyson." Pinklon Thomas and Tony Tubbs were "Runner UP" guys / dudes just behind the second lot...

Greg Page and Tony Tucker were over-hyped and have been overrated... Neither guy ever did anything really thrilling or impressive....

James Smith, Mike Weaver & Trevor Berbick were slower than Molasses, but pretty strong and powerful.... However, each one of these guys could be outboxed by a skilled technician....

Gerrie Coetzee could whack hard, but normally had poor stamina and no self-confidence.....

Buster Douglas was a lazy slob who was wasting his talent away in the 80s....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #29
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Greg Page and Tony Tucker were over-hyped and have been overrated... Neither guy ever did anything really thrilling or impressive..
GTF out of here. Page had some brilliant (performance wise) wins coming thru the ranks and beat Snipes far easier than Holmes ever did. He also fought superbly to actually outfight Gerrie Coetzee who was coming off a KO of the heavily favoured and regarded Dokes. Maybe you haven't seen much Page at all excepting his numerous lethargic efforts.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #30
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
GTF out of here. Page had some brilliant (performance wise) wins coming thru the ranks and beat Snipes far easier than Holmes ever did. He also fought superbly to actually outfight Gerrie Coetzee who was coming off a KO of the heavily favoured and regarded Dokes. Maybe you haven't seen much Page at all excepting his numerous lethargic efforts.
I was not impressed with Greg Page beating George Chaplin and looking fat and jiggily at 240 bloated pounds or so in 1981..... Then Page slimmed down to like 221 pounds for Trevor Berbick in 1982, but Page looked weak and lackluster in losing a decision to Berbick... After that, Greg Page had a good win in Texas over James Tillis to close out 1982.... Come '83, Page outboxed Renaldo Snipes pretty easily on the undercard of "Holmes-Spoon." That was about the last we ever saw of a primed Greg Page.... His title shot with Larry Holmes fell through in late 1983, and Holmes either vacated or was stripped of the WBC title belt in late '83, so Page was forced to settle with a vacant title shot against Tim Witherspoon in March of 1984, which Page again showed up fat and lazy, and lost..... Meanwhile, Larry Holmes accepted the IBF title belt..... In late 1984, Greg Page put forth one last good effort and stopped Gerrie Coetzee for the WBA title down in South America..... Come 1985, Greg Page was sliding down the hill; never to return to glory... His title loss to Tony Tubbs in '85 was a tell-tale sign that Page was lazy and slipping...... I think in 1986, Page was knocked silly by a clubfighter..... I can't recall the dudes name, but it was a shocking upset.... By 1987, Greg Page no longer had a cable contract or any real big fights lined up..... I do have his 1992 effort against Razor Ruddock.. Page was game---for a while, but he got himself TKO'd by Ruddock on cable TV......... Yeah, I know a little something about Gregory Page...... Peace........

MR.BILL

P.S.

In 1990, on the undercard of "Whitaker-Nelson" on HBO, Greg Page was KO'd with one punch by Mark Wills prior to the main event...... Page got up, but he was on queer street, so he was stopped in around the 9th round.......

EXTRA:

Christ, it was Mark Wills who stopped Page twice in '86 and 1990..... And how the hell did Page manage to lose to a 37 year old Joe Bugner in 1987??

Greg Page's biggest wins of the 90s were against James Smith in 1992 and Tim Witherspoon in 1999........
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum