Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charm City, MD
Posts: 921
vCash: 1000
Default Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Lewis didn't become the undisputed champ until he beat Holy at the end of '99...he ended with Vitaly in '03, so thats a champ reign of 3 yrs. 5 mons...in-between that time he beat Grant, Botha, Tua, split with Rachman, and Tyson...

Tyson became undisputed champ when he beat 35-0 Tucker in '87...his reign ended in '90 when he got starched by Douglas, so thats a champ reign of 2 yrs. 6 mons...in-between that time he beat Biggs, Larry Holmes, Tony Tubbs, Spinks, Bruno, and Carl Williams...

so Lewis' REAL reign was only a year longer than Tyson's, with Tyson beating the better overall quality of opponents...so based on that i have Lewis and Tyson about even in terms of their reigns as champs...
Jinx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,879
vCash: 75
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Lewis didn't become the undisputed champ until he beat Holy at the end of '99...he ended with Vitaly in '03, so thats a champ reign of 3 yrs. 5 mons...in-between that time he beat Grant, Botha, Tua, split with Rachman, and Tyson...

Tyson became undisputed champ when he beat 35-0 Tucker in '87...his reign ended in '90 when he got starched by Douglas, so thats a champ reign of 2 yrs. 6 mons...in-between that time he beat Biggs, Larry Holmes, Tony Tubbs, Spinks, Bruno, and Carl Williams...

so Lewis' REAL reign was only a year longer than Tyson's, with Tyson beating the better overall quality of opponents...so based on that i have Lewis and Tyson about even in terms of their reigns as champs...

Tyson's real reign started when he beat Michael Spinks for the Lineal Championship. But he had cleaned the division before that.
Asterion is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
nulty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Warrington
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 566
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Yeah but Lewis was fighting and beating damn good guys for a long time, Tyson was finished after Douglas and prison. Also Lewis was avoided by Bowe and denied an earlier reign, he also regained the title.
nulty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charm City, MD
Posts: 921
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterion
Tyson's real reign started when he beat Michael Spinks for the Lineal Championship. But he had cleaned the division before that.
nope...a reign starts with ALL of the major belts OR Lineage, which Tyson had when he beat Tucker...
Jinx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charm City, MD
Posts: 921
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulty
Yeah but Lewis was fighting and beating damn good guys for a long time, Tyson was finished after Douglas and prison. Also Lewis was avoided by Bowe and denied an earlier reign, he also regained the title.
what other guys did Lewis beat that are worth mentioning? Ruddock? a better version of him was destroyed by a post-reign Tyson a year earlier...Mercer? he was beaten handily by an old Larry Holmes, and Tyson starched a younger Holmes in 4 rds...and Lewis BARELY beat Mercer...Tucker? well that looks good for Lewis, until you throw in the fact that Tyson beat an undefeated version of Tucker 6 YEARS before Lewis got to him...Bruno? another good looking win for Lewis UNTIL you add the fact that Tyson destroyed Bruno 4 YEARS earlier...and Tyson wasn't getting his ass handed to him by Bruno...

i rest my case, unless we have to mention guys like Briggs, Golota, and Morrison...
Jinx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Shotgun
Who Nex?
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: spinning like a tornado
Posts: 867
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Boring

Lewis competed at the upper level of the heavyweight division much longer and more consistently than Tyson did. Anyone that disputes that is either deluded or ignorant
Shotgun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
King Dan
Sugar Shane/Bad Chad
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 129
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun
Boring

Lewis competed at the upper level of the heavyweight division much longer and more consistently than Tyson did. Anyone that disputes that is either deluded or ignorant

King Dan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Jinx
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charm City, MD
Posts: 921
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun
Boring

Lewis competed at the upper level of the heavyweight division much longer and more consistently than Tyson did. Anyone that disputes that is either deluded or ignorant
i would say "nice try", but it ain't even that nice because you've listed no type of facts to support your opinion in which you try to display as a fact...thanks for playing but please try again...
Jinx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
King Dan
Sugar Shane/Bad Chad
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 129
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
i would say "nice try", but it ain't even that nice because you've listed no type of facts to support your opinion in which you try to display as a fact...thanks for playing but please try again...
How old are you, 14? Sounds like it.

Take your face off of Tyson's old wrinkled balls.

Tyson is not a top 100 fighter of all time and Lennox is, so thats that.
King Dan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
nulty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Warrington
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 566
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
what other guys did Lewis beat that are worth mentioning? Ruddock? a better version of him was destroyed by a post-reign Tyson a year earlier...Mercer? he was beaten handily by an old Larry Holmes, and Tyson starched a younger Holmes in 4 rds...and Lewis BARELY beat Mercer...Tucker? well that looks good for Lewis, until you throw in the fact that Tyson beat an undefeated version of Tucker 6 YEARS before Lewis got to him...Bruno? another good looking win for Lewis UNTIL you add the fact that Tyson destroyed Bruno 4 YEARS earlier...and Tyson wasn't getting his ass handed to him by Bruno...

i rest my case, unless we have to mention guys like Briggs, Golota, and Morrison...
Tyson starched an old Holmes who was coming out of retirement. Spinks showed up for the payday. Then we got drunks, drug addicts and never weres like Marvis Fraizer, Mitch Green, Pinklon Thomas etc.

Lewis beat ranked guys over a much longer period than Tyson.
nulty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
King Dan
Sugar Shane/Bad Chad
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 129
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
King Dan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Lewis was consistently in the top 4 or 5, and often in the top 2, in the division for about 11 or 12 straight years.
That's good longevity.

Tyson was in the top 2 or 3 for about 5 years straight before going to jail.
After released from jail, I never thought he deserved a high ranking for more than a year (1996-'97), but many of the boxing magazines certainly did.
I never understood how he got elevated so high by the time he faced Lewis in 2002, but having said that I guess the depth of contenders in the divsion was almost non-existent. Lewis only had one real rival (Holyfield), and somehow I suppose Tyson could end up placed not many places below those two circa 2000-'02.
If that is correct and fair, then a case can be made for Tyson being a top 3, 4 or 5 fighter a whole 16 (SIXTEEN) years after he first exploded into the rankings, so that's pretty good longevity too.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
Drexl
Your Hero
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 75
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

How many fighters in the modern era of 3+ belts have been recognized as the Undisputed Champ for longer than Lennox?
Drexl is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulty
Lewis beat ranked guys over a much longer period than Tyson.
Not much longer.
It also depends who you class as a "ranked fighter"
Lewis beat his first ranked fighter in '91 or '92, and the last one in '03.
Tyson beat his first ranked fighter in '86, and the last in '96 or arguably later (some might say Golota in '00).
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
Shotgun
Who Nex?
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: spinning like a tornado
Posts: 867
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis' longevity...not that much better than Tyson's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
i would say "nice try", but it ain't even that nice because you've listed no type of facts to support your opinion in which you try to display as a fact...thanks for playing but please try again...
Lewis defeated Ruddock in 1992 which marked his arrival as a top level heavyweight. This was a part of a heavyweight championship tournament that was spoiled by Bowe ducking him. He won the WBC title that Reluctant Riddick vacated to avoid fighting him in 1993.

From that point on Lennox Lewis competed consistently at or near the top of the heavyweight division until winning his last fight as undisuputed champ in 2003 and retiring

Lewis had 44 pro fights. From 1993-2003 he fought 22 times. 18 of those fights were for major world titles. He went 15-2-1 in those title fights. That's over 10 consecutive years of consistently competing in the upper echelon of the division. So much for your argument
Shotgun is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013