Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Should Hatton have a rethink?

About fighting at 147?

Collazo again has shown himself to be a very good fighter.

An in shape Hatton could have more impact at 147 than he thinks.

Last edited by onourway; 01-18-2009 at 08:40 AM.
onourway is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should have Hatton have a rethink?

Nah, theres enough good fights at 140 where he has the physical advantages to make his style much more effective.

I watched the fight last night and had Collazo winning by 2 rounds, Berto has fast hands but is nothing special.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

hatton was battered in the last round against Collazo and was lucky to win. hatton isnt a good welter.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
hatton was battered in the last round against Collazo and was lucky to win. hatton isnt a good welter.
I had Hatton by 2 rounds, at the end of the fight he looked all over the loser but he scored more points over the course of the fight.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

No. Berto is a crappy HBO hypejob. I've said that since day dot. In reality he was only just going to squeeze past Collazo. Berto hasn't even been fooling people like Taylor did. Loads of people picked Collazo.

Collazo's good because he had a competitive fight with a completely unproven prospect that has already shown massive flaws? Sugar Shane put a beating on this guy and Shane is miles past peak. That is what Hatton has to deal with at 147.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
No. Berto is a crappy HBO hypejob. I've said that since day dot. In reality he was only just going to squeeze past Collazo. Berto hasn't even been fooling people like Taylor did. Loads of people picked Collazo.

Collazo's good because he had a competitive fight with a completely unproven prospect that has already shown massive flaws? Sugar Shane put a beating on this guy and Shane is miles past peak. That is what Hatton has to deal with at 147.
Yeah Hatton would not be able to beat the best welters like margarito, mosley, and clottey, but he would have a chance against highly ranked welters like berto, cotto and judah.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I saw the fight, he didn't squeeze past Collazo, he got a gift. The guy has fast hands and looks a half decent puncher (Collazo has one hell of a chin) but he doesn't throw enough combinations and fights far too straight on. Watching it last night and the build up he got reminded me of Taylor, HBO are desperate for a decent, personable American boxer....

I know everyone is high on Margo at the moment but Berto is absolutely made for him.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

I havn't seen the fight, but this does not come as a surprise. I picked Berto for the prediction league mainly on the fact I saw a competitive fight that would go 12, and Berto is HBO's fighter. He was getting the decision. It comes as no shock he may have got a gift, his defence is poor, his chin is poor, he's one paced and his footwork is no good.

Just because Collazo did something with this guy, it does not mean anything for Hatton. Except he's amongst the second tier of welterweights if he ever fought there. What's the point in fighting them? He might as well strengthen his 140lb legacy.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

At the very least Collazo getting jobbed shows he's a genuine world class welter who Hatton beat in his prime. He's not the very top of the division but that win of Hattons is looking like a decent performance esp. when the short notice change of opponent and change of weight class is taken into account.

Now if Urango can pick up this IBF belt as I thing he will and string together a few defenses (debatable) that'll be 2 of the so-called "weaker" Hatton opponents proving that they wern't so bad after all.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

BTW anyone who didn't see last nights fight, its well worth getting hold of.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

What do you mean weaker? When I set out those lists they were evidently two of his stronger opponents. Especially Collazo. Urango has a tough fight coming up so we'll see how he fairs there. Ngoudjo is no joke, robbed blind against Malignaggi.

It means Hatton "beat" a second tier welter in Collazo, which is all he is and all he ever will be. Hatton can only really expect to compete with him, Berto, Quintana, and MAYBE Cintron. The only one of those fights that is even tempting must be Berto since HBO is on his jock right now. The others are a risk for no real reward given whats happened recently. He would look a lot better trying to get all his 140 belts back IMO, if this fight with Pacquiao does not come off.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think a Berto fight is certainly winnable.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
What do you mean weaker? When I set out those lists they were evidently two of his stronger opponents. Especially Collazo. Urango has a tough fight coming up so we'll see how he fairs there. Ngoudjo is no joke, robbed blind against Malignaggi.

It means Hatton "beat" a second tier welter in Collazo, which is all he is and all he ever will be. Hatton can only really expect to compete with him, Berto, Quintana, and MAYBE Cintron. The only one of those fights that is even tempting must be Berto since HBO is on his jock right now. The others are a risk for no real reward given whats happened recently. He would look a lot better trying to get all his 140 belts back IMO, if this fight with Pacquiao does not come off.
I'm not sayng Hatton can compete at the very top of 147, he can't. I'm saying that Collazo has been WBA champ, in the top 10 for 3 years and now gets jobbed in a WBC title challenge confirming Hattons win a decent performance against a world class welterweight (top 10, world champ and ripped off for another title isn't "second tier", you'd have 5 tiers before you got out of the top 20))

Urango is the one name that consistantly gets brought up in "Witter discussions", as in why fight a bum like Urango and not Witter. Collazo is another performance that gets criticized for Hatton "only" getting a close decision.

Thats run of wins, Zoo (wins IBF, lineal), Maussa (wins WBA), Collazo (wins 147 WBA belt from guy jobbed in a future challenge), Urango (well see about him but I think he'll beat Ngoudo) and Castillio, while lacking any elite or star names in their prime is a very solid series of wins for Hatton. Sure you can pick holes in it like most boxers records but, LL aside, thats one of the better group of wins from a British boxer you#ll see.

Last edited by GazOC; 01-18-2009 at 09:45 AM.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
BTW anyone who didn't see last nights fight, its well worth getting hold of.
i have been trying all morning and cant get it anywhere still not on youtube its really pissing me off
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Default Re: Should Hatton have a rethink?

It's easy to get hold of on torrent. I just can't be arsed since it will probably only make me angry judging by how the majority scored it.
TFFP is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum