Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,413
vCash: 118
Default Duran's fights against Paz...

Why did he lost both of them?

He had the tools, undoubtably... Was he just outworked by the younger guy? Too old at that point?

Neither one was really close on the cards.

Also, in that vein... How did Laing manage to beat Duran?

Did he do better against Camacho in their two fights than most thought he would? The cards weren't too terribly lopsided...[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Laing was a pretty good fighter who if you let get rounds in the bag, you just ran out of rounds...I think Duran took him for granted and paid for it.

The two Paz fights were good calls, Duran was finished at that point.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,413
vCash: 118
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Hmm, just curious.

Duran did fight on another half decade plus after the first Paz fight. So I figured he might of had something left in the tank at that point.
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Don't underestimate Paz at that weight, he was a decent fighter (he wasn't great though) but he was busy enough to beat Duran.....IIRC correctly the first Paz-Duran fight was close but after that he was losing decisions fringe contenders and journeymen.

Before Paz, Durans last big win was against Barkley 5 odd years before...so it was hardly a sharp decline.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,805
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

Duran did fight on another half decade plus after the first Paz fight. So I figured he might of had something left in the tank at that point.
He fought cute..nothing in the tank though.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,115
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

It was sad and rather pathetic to see Duran struggle and come up short against guys like Pazienza late in his career. Most of the great ones never knew when to retire and tarnished their legacy somewhat in the process. Duran, if he had fought Vinnie at the time he fought Barkley would have trounced him. The Duran that tortured and brutalized Davey Moore would have put Paz in the hospital. There wouldn't have been a rematch, as Vinnie would have finished as a viable contender. Think of all the blood he would have lost.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South of London
Posts: 10,832
vCash: 0
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Duran was a shell of himself post Barkley and yet he gave Pazienza a fight first time round, and beat Camacho in the first fight IMO.

The Laing defeat was down to a lack of motivation and Kirkland Laing being bang in form and fully focused for perhaps the only time in his career.
TBooze is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

What I'll always remember about Duran against Paz is that Roberto showed Vinnie what the floor felt like for the first time. (I consider that to be a greater humiliation to Paz than Wepner's referee ruled KD of Ali.) Vinnie couldn't get him outta there, and neither could Camacho. (Hell, Duran did better against Camacho than SRL did.) It bears repeating that Camacho did not force Duran into retirement, a car accident did. (Otherwise, Roberto might still be breaking the faces of tomato cans today.) His deflection marksmanship was still uncanny. Somehow, his hand-eye coordination never reallly abandoned him the way it did Ortiz against Buchanan, or Ali against Berbick.

If boxing is to be considered as the art of self-defense, then Duran remained competent to the very end against world class competition. (Who knows, as weirdly bizarre as his career was, he might have actually avenged his loss to Joppy. Normal rules didn't seem to apply to him sometimes.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
Renofan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 241
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Duran was a shell of himself post Barkley and yet he gave Pazienza a fight first time round, and beat Camacho in the first fight IMO.

The Laing defeat was down to a lack of motivation and Kirkland Laing being bang in form and fully focused for perhaps the only time in his career.
I agree 100% Duran beat Camacho in the first fight. To me that's Duran's last "semi-great" or impressive performance, not great because Camacho was on the downslide too, but Duran turned the clock back slightly for that night.
Renofan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #10
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
What I'll always remember about Duran against Paz is that Roberto showed Vinnie what the floor felt like for the first time. (I consider that to be a greater humiliation to Paz than Wepner's referee ruled KD of Ali.) Vinnie couldn't get him outta there, and neither could Camacho. (Hell, Duran did better against Camacho than SRL did.) It bears repeating that Camacho did not force Duran into retirement, a car accident did. (Otherwise, Roberto might still be breaking the faces of tomato cans today.) His deflection marksmanship was still uncanny. Somehow, his hand-eye coordination never reallly abandoned him the way it did Ortiz against Buchanan, or Ali against Berbick.

If boxing is to be considered as the art of self-defense, then Duran remained competent to the very end against world class competition. (Who knows, as weirdly bizarre as his career was, he might have actually avenged his loss to Joppy. Normal rules didn't seem to apply to him sometimes.)
Ortiz looked ok against Buchanan i thought.He would probably have been able to defeat some of the lesser contenders that night.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Duran's fights against Paz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla
Ortiz looked ok against Buchanan i thought.He would probably have been able to defeat some of the lesser contenders that night.
Certainly he would have, but Carlos was frustrated against Buchanan, despite being in what he himself described as top condition.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013