Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 08-19-2007, 05:14 AM   #46
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

vCash: 509
Default Re: Medley.....world title shot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
I am, and it IS a world title fight
I mean it is good for Both fighters to win this title and to say i won this.
But in no way you can say you are the 'WORLD' Champion after winning it.
I mean you have 'The Ring' Champ Floyd Mayweather at 147, WBA Champ Cotto, and Interim WBC Champ Shane Mosley.
How can either Isaac or Medley call themself a world champion after their fight.
I mean i am all for them to say hey i won this belt i am th IBO belt, but they cannot they they are the welterweight champion of the world after the fight.
Medley is the bigger guy and should take it.
Also If you are calling it a world title fight, did you call Rob Calloway a World Heavyweight Champ after he fought Bob Mirovic?
Robot16 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #47
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot16
I mean it is good for Both fighters to win this title and to say i won this.
But in no way you can say you are the 'WORLD' Champion after winning it.
I mean you have 'The Ring' Champ Floyd Mayweather at 147, WBA Champ Cotto, and Interim WBC Champ Shane Mosley.
How can either Isaac or Medley call themself a world champion after their fight.
I mean i am all for them to say hey i won this belt i am th IBO belt, but they cannot they they are the welterweight champion of the world after the fight.
Medley is the bigger guy and should take it.
Also If you are calling it a world title fight, did you call Rob Calloway a World Heavyweight Champ after he fought Bob Mirovic?

Medley will be IBO world champ

anyway, im sure everyone is goin to enjoy the fight.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #48
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

The IBO is today what the WBO used to be , recognized not as one of the big titles but the next best thing and above the crap titles .It is usually a good stepping stone to a World title(particulary the IBF) . In truth though the champion makes the belt , if an IBO champion(that isn't the real champ) makes better defences than a WBC champ(that isn't the real champ) then he is as much if not more of a champion than the WBC champ .

As regards mandatories and that here are the IBO rules on defenses:
All Champions, with the exception of the Heavyweight Champion, shall defend their Title at least once every nine months unless medically excused therefrom for valid cause and/or at the sole and absolute discretion of the I.B.O.
After initially winning the Title and within a period of time stipulated by the I.B.O., of not less than sixty days, the new Champion may be required to defend his Title in a mandatory defense against any boxer designated by the I.B.O. in the I.B.O.’s sole and absolute discretion as it deems beneficial to the division. A newly crowned Champion who was the mandatory Challenger or was ranked in the Top 10 as the Challenger is exempt from this obligation.
During each successive TWELVE (12) month period after winning the Title, the Champion at the I.B.O.’s sole and absolute discretion may be required to defend his Title in a mandatory defense against the leading available contender as designated by the I.B.O. Notice shall be given to all promoters licensed by the I.B.O.
The Champion shall also be required to defend his Title in a mandatory defense against the I.B.O. Intercontinental Champion provided that the Intercontinental Champion has held his Title for at least EIGHTEEN (1 months and has defended it at least three times during that period and one of those defenses having been against a challenger in the Top 50 of the rankings. The Heavyweight Champion or any Champion who is in the top five of the I.B.O. Rankings shall be excluded from this obligation.
The fact that a Champion signs a contract for a mandatory defense of his Championship, even though that fight is against the approved and designated Contender as stipulated above, it shall not constitute, in any case, compliance with this regulation, unless the mentioned Title defense effectively takes place within the periods stipulated by the International Boxing Organization. In each instance, and in each division, the Leading Available Contenders shall be defined and determined solely by the I.B.O.
Champions who have been medically or otherwise excused from defending their Title within the proscribed time will subject themselves to a mandatory defense if the I.B.O. sanctions a contest for an “interim” Championship. The Champion shall defend his Title against the interim Champion in his next defense, which shall take place within SIXTY (60) days of the expiration of his medical or other authorized extension. The interim Champion shall be classified as the Challenger in this mandatory contest.

Subject to the approval of the International Boxing Organization and within each NINE (9) month period after winning the Title, the World Champion may defend his Title:
1.) against any opponent selected from the list of thirty-five (35) highest ranked boxers in his category of weight or division, or,
2.) against any opponent between numbers 36-50, provided they meet all of the following additional criteria:
  1. the challenger must not have lost his last contest.
  2. the challenger must not have lost two of his last four fights by knock out or stoppage.
  3. the challenger must have a positive record in his last six fights (e.g. 4-2, 3-2-1 or better).
  4. the challenger must have boxed and won at least one contest of a minimum of 10 rounds duration.
3.) against I.B.O. Intercontinental Champions provided the I.B.O. Intercontinental Champion has defended his title at least once against a top 50 opponent, or,
4.) against a champion of another sanctioning body provided however that :
  1. all officials are nominated and/or approved by the I.B.O., and,
  2. the fight shall be conducted under I.B.O. Rules and Regulations governing championship contests, and,
  3. the fight shall be designated as a unification bout.
5.) against U.S.B.O. Champions provided the U.S.B.O. Champion has defended his title at least two times, one of which has been against a top 50 opponent, or,
6.) against I.B.O. Asia/Pacific Champions provided the I.B.O. Asia/Pacific Champion has defended his title at least two times, one of which has been against a top 50 opponent.

I reckon the South African will win , yes he isn't the biggest Welterweight but as mentioned he has beaten guys the quality of Nate Campbell , Cassius Baloyi , Phillip Ndou , Aldo Rios , and a good few other decent South Africans . Medley on the other hand has never been in with anyone of the same class . He's been thrown in at the deep end , and my bet is he'll sink .
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #49
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Cheers Big Ears
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #50
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
The IBO is nothing like a real world title.

We all need to make that clear, just like Mundine holds no world title.
But [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is a real test independent of the quality of the belt. I can recall seeing Medley fight but not with enough recollection to automatically right him off but he is going to do it very tough
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #51
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgetic
But [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is a real test independent of the quality of the belt. I can recall seeing Medley fight but not with enough recollection to automatically right him off but he is going to do it very tough
Exactly more often you have to look at who holds not the belt not what one they hold.

Robbie aint bad, his size is going to be his biggest advantage in this fight, followed by the hometown advantage.
Isaac certainly is the much more credentialed fighter though, I think that will see him through but Ill be cheering for Robbie.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #52
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

I think Robbie can win it & cause the upset.

If not, he will go down fighting as he always does with his big heart.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #53
Marcus
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Angel’ declares war on Medley

Bongani Magasela
30 August 2007

IBO welterweight champion Isaac Hlatswayo has declared war on Australian Robert Medley in the defence of the title the “Angel” won in May against Joseph Makaringe.

“I will sweat tears and blood,” said Hlatswayo who will be under pressure from sceptics who questioned his decision to leave trainer Manny Fernandez for Nick Durandt.
They rate Fernandez highly as a boxing mentor yet they still regard Durandt as the only genuine boxing manager in the country.
Medley, who is undefeated after 18 wins with 12 knockouts, is the stablemate of former IBF junior welterweight champion Lovemore Ndou.
After watching the tape of Medley’s victory over Kaizer Mabuza for the IBF Australasian title, Hlatswayo said: “He just cannot beat me. That guy is not a world-class fighter.”
Hlatswayo has proved beyond doubt that he is made of sterner stuff. Philip Ndou, Cassius Baloyi, Lucky Lewele and the highly rated American, Nate Campbell, can bear testimony.
They are some of Hlatswayo’s 26 victims. It took an unknown Kendall Holt to spoil Hlatswayo’s record .

“Nick is working on my strength and you know it’s been long since I won on a stoppage,” he warned.
His fight with Medley will take place at the Penrith Leagues club in Penrith, New South Wales, Australia, on October 12.
Marcus is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #54
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

vCash: 509

We all know how the fight went know.
Robot16 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #55
chinachin_76
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Medley can hold his head up high that he survived 12 rounds with a quality fighter. But really, all Medley did was survive and didn't attack at all except for a late flurry in the final round which was all to late. What stopped Medley from going on the attack earlier? He feared getting knocked out. First round Hlatswayo just sussed out Medley and from there it was a boxing lesson. It may have been too big of a step up for Rob but it was a risk and at least now he can see where he sits in the scheme of things in world boxing.
chinachin_76 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #56
nrgetic
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hlatswayo has a lot of technical flaws eg planting the front foot meaning he struggles if pushed back and he squares himself up when he jabs making himself vulnerable to the counterpunch but Medley was never committed to exploit these weaknesses. I think Medley performed below his best as he moved quite well and can punch, I tjust think his head wasn't perfectly tuned in to deliver his best despite him not being at Hlatswayo's level even at his best
nrgetic is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #57
PIPO23
Champion
East Side Guru

Hlatswayo is not a big puncher.I dont understand why Medley ran for the entire 12 rounds. If Hlatswayo was a puncher that fight wouldn't have gone the distance.
PIPO23 is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #58
Thriller
Journeyman

ive always said Meadly just bullies the weaker fighters they put in front of him!!
Where was the bully tonight?
Thriller is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #59
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The south African won every round and took Medley to school.

African jab was very good and just in a different class compared to the Aussie.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #60
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Has Medley always had Fenech as his corner man? If so I think it is testimony to him that he has gotten this far as a boxer. Fenech is hands down the worst corner man in boxing. It is hillarious to listen to him in the corner between rounds. I have never once heard him say anything that remotely sounds helpfull. I mean how many times can you plead with the boxer to dig deap. All he said last night was remember the uppercut.
Medley got severally defeated. And I think it is obvious that he is a domestic level fighter. I like watching him generally and hope he sticks with it. Weird tatoo fetish though.
EelsRule is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum