East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Moorer Q&A

Noticed this over at fightnews.

====================================================
Q&A: Michael Moorer!
August 16, 2007
By Boxing Bob Newman
Tonight's "WBA KO Drugs" event in Panama is loaded with talent from top to bottom. Among the highlights will be a heavyweight clash between former two-time heavyweight champion Michael Moorer (49-4-1, 38 KOs) and unbeaten Rich Boruff (17-0-1, 10 KOs). Here's what 'Double M' had to say...

Michael, How did you wind up getting involved with the K.O. Drugs tournament?
I didnít know anything about it. I left it up to my manager. They asked me if I wanted to fight- my manager Adam Meyer and Darin McMahon. Weíve been in the gym doing our cardio, lifting our weights and everythingís been working fine. I just got with my boxing trainer Isaiah Clark and we just put everything together and being able to perform.

Do you know anything about Rich Boruff at all?
No. I know heís undefeated, 17-0 and thatís it. You know a lot of people being undefeated have a lot of confidence but stepping up to the level that Iím in - heís never faced a fighter like I am. Once he feels these guns itís gonna be all over!

You mentioned that you were already in the gym keeping your conditioning up. Were just leaving it up to your managers to actively look for a fight for you?
Weíre trying to stay on the right track, not just stay off six- seven months. Iíve been in the gym. I fought in December, I fought in March. Since March Iíve been staying in the gym up to this point- just trying to keep my body in condition and I feel great.

Whatís it been like sitting back and seeing the Eastern European fighters working their way to the top and seeing guys like Evander Holyfield suddenly in a position again at his age to regain a version of the title?
I think itís a great opportunity for Evander. Evander has fought these guys- these European guys in the amateurs. Thatís something these American guys donít realize: when you have a history of fighting these European fighters, it should be an easy task. I fought European fighters my whole amateur careeer. Fighting these guys is not a problem for me, but for heavyweights that have never fought these European guys- they canít deal with them. Itís unfortunate because the belts arenít in the United States, but Evander will probably be the first one to bring one of them back. Weíll see what happens. Sultan is a very, very tough guy.

So youíre familiar with Sultan from your time with Warriors Boxing?
Yes, Iím very familiar with him.

With all four belts being held by former Soviet fighters- what does that say to you about the American hunger or lack thereof?
In my personal opinion, what it all boils down to the American fighters not having the knowledge or the ability to go out there and face the European Bloc guys and dealing with the pressure and the styles that they have to deal with. Being the fighter- the boxer that I am and growing up in the amateurs, I think the guy who was successful in the amateurs will make the transition when they fight them. Like Evander- Iím sure heís gonna do very well. And if Iím given the opportunity, Iím gonna do damn well! Itís gonna be a great opportunity for me. You know I just leave my everything up to my managers Adam and Darin. And with Billy Beck III, my strength and conditioning coach, he busts my ass all the time, every day. Then Iím confident in my abilities, I know what I can do. Once I go in thereÖ I do it. Like for this fight, my manager told me this guy can go eight roundsÖtrust me, that shit ainít happening!

Getting back to the comment about ďEuropean styles,Ē do you feel that there is a style that is distinctly European?
Yes, there is a style that is European. If you watch all European fighters, they fight the same. Thatís how they were taught. American fighters, they sit there and they just wanna bang. They donít know how to box or counter like that. But experienced guys, like I said many times, if you faced the Europeans, you can adjust to that. If youíre a real fighter, you can adjust to that because youíve dealt with it before and you can deal with it again.

Now after this fight, do you plan on getting right back into the gym and staying busy?
My two managers, Darin and Adam, they always keep my ass in the gym. They gotta give me a break! The thing is, Iím always in condition with my strength and conditioning coach Billy Beck III, what we do is we work every day and we work on specifics. We eat right and do the things weíre supposed to do. But with Adam and Darin, theyíre on me, they hound me about it, but itís for my own good. Sometimes they can be jerks about it- like this guy right here (motions with a grin to manager Adam Meyer, sitting behind Moorer). I love these guys and they know that Iím gonna do the best that I possibley can.

The local papers predicted you to come in at around 255 lbs. With weight playing a part in conditioning, does that mean that you donít plan in the fight going too many rounds?
No, itís just that Iím gonna go out there and do the best that I can- work my talent, work my skills, and once I land one of these Scud missiles (Puts his dukes up), itís all over! (Moorer officially weighed I n at 241 lbs.)

Michael, thanks for your time and we look forward to watching you continue your march toward the heavyweight title.
Thank you so much!
====================================================
DamonD is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Moorer Q&A

241 lbs is not a good weight for Moorer.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
241 lbs is not a good weight for Moorer.
No. He said he stayed in the gym all the time since his last fight though! How can he weigh in at 241 then??
Grabonator is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Perhaps he was eating Cheerios.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
pipe wrenched
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side VIP

vCash: 1852

Any way to watch this?? *******??
pipe wrenched is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think Moorer needs to train with Holyfield!!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

You don't think 241 is alright for him, at coming up to 40 years of age?

He'll obviously never be back down in the 220s again, and while I think he can get lighter than 241 I'd only reckon about 234, 235 would be the best he could manage at this point in time.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
You don't think 241 is alright for him, at coming up to 40 years of age?
No, because he started as a lightheavyweight! 230 pounds would be good now for him, but still not perfect.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum