cross_trainer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joko Ninomiya vs. Wing Chun Fighter

Which ones the Wing Chun fighter? I can see the chap in the beginning performing the 1st form of Wing Chun but its difficult to tell from the video whats happening or who`s the Wing Chun fighter? Im guessing its the loser?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Which ones the Wing Chun fighter? I can see the chap in the beginning performing the 1st form of Wing Chun but its difficult to tell from the video whats happening or who`s the Wing Chun fighter? Im guessing its the loser?
Correct--the guy in a black shirt.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

OK, so a Karate guy beats a Wing Chun guy. The guy in the black shirt looked like a 5 year old with his head down and both arms swinging wildly the guy in white just stepped into and blocked all the shots, then just kicked him in the head and gave him a left hook to the body. The guy almost died what a *****.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke
OK, so a Karate guy beats a Wing Chun guy. The guy in the black shirt looked like a 5 year old with his head down and both arms swinging wildly the guy in white just stepped into and blocked all the shots, then just kicked him in the head and gave him a left hook to the body. The guy almost died what a *****.
Yep. Just a neat little "style vs. style" matchup from the olden days that I found on the internet. Ninomiya, incidentally, was an All-Japan Karate Champion under Kyokushin rules. Not sure about the other guy.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

The other guy was probably a "forms" champ that ain't never fought before and hopefully for him again.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

This is a great little documentary. I always thought the wing chun guys were foolish for even entering a Kyokushin tournament as striking to the groin, throat, and face was prohibited. Kyokushin guys condition their bodies almost as much as muay thai fighters.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
This is a great little documentary. I always thought the wing chun guys were foolish for even entering a Kyokushin tournament as striking to the groin, throat, and face was prohibited. Kyokushin guys condition their bodies almost as much as muay thai fighters.
I would say probably more to be honest. I have seen Kyokoshin matchs where the guys were basically standing punching each other in the chest, bareknuckle obvioulsy, for the duration of the fight with no flinching.

Hard bastards if there ever have been any.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

I think karate can be used to strengthen your body that is usually not covered by other combat sports.
I think most impressive thing I've seen from a black belt karate in is his joint durability and flexibility. He told me he does horse shoe stand(amongst other things) for half an hour or so a day. I tried doing it(correct way) I lasted five minutes before I started crumbling. He didn't have a lot of muscle but he felt much stronger than ANYone would guess while grappling.

This brought me back to my child hood memories when I myself did those kind of awkward static poses which strengthened my body in visually unnoticeable ways. And I was able to stand my ground against much older and bigger kids in street fight.

My theory is that these position put strain on your tendons and ligaments in a way normal work outs do not. Thus providing better support for your muscles and skeleton. Does this seem like a plausible explanation to you?
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
wingchung
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
BORKED
if that is wingchun that fighter is terrible. wingchun teachs how block and counter. not wingchun.
wingchung is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #11
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf View Post

This brought me back to my child hood memories when I myself did those kind of awkward static poses which strengthened my body in visually unnoticeable ways. And I was able to stand my ground against much older and bigger kids in street fight.

My theory is that these position put strain on your tendons and ligaments in a way normal work outs do not. Thus providing better support for your muscles and skeleton. Does this seem like a plausible explanation to you?
I did Shukokai karate for years, and willst it was pretty useless for fights making you sit in a squated position for ages whillst making you throw short fast punches was done quite a bit with my instructor walking about making sure he pushed you down in the proper stance. I used to be able to stand for very extended periods of time in that position.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf View Post
I think karate can be used to strengthen your body that is usually not covered by other combat sports.
I think most impressive thing I've seen from a black belt karate in is his joint durability and flexibility. He told me he does horse shoe stand(amongst other things) for half an hour or so a day. I tried doing it(correct way) I lasted five minutes before I started crumbling. He didn't have a lot of muscle but he felt much stronger than ANYone would guess while grappling.

Sorry but wtf is a horse shoe stand?
And what other exercises would you recommended?
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

Basicallly squat like your sitting on a horse.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #14
wingchung
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
I did Shukokai karate for years, and willst it was pretty useless for fights making you sit in a squated position for ages whillst making you throw short fast punches was done quite a bit with my instructor walking about making sure he pushed you down in the proper stance. I used to be able to stand for very extended periods of time in that position.
its called the horse stand asswipe.
wingchung is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchung View Post
if that is wingchun that fighter is terrible. wingchun teachs how block and counter. not wingchun.
So what would happen if two wingchun fighters fought?

It would be a paradox, both would be unable to land, but would be countered every time they threw, hence breaking the first rule.

Boxing teaches how block and counter as well, sometimes though, punches land.

Show us a "good" wing chun fighter.
Beebs is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum