Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default The best way to lose a sparring mentality..

The other night watching my guy fight toughman, and me not fighting in anything...Made me realize how much a physichal monster I am, and should probably fight some fights (amatuers probably right now).
I just turned 23, but have been working out since I was about 15. Hitting the bag since around that time. I've sparred with golden glove winners, a couple pros, guys that outweigh me from 20 pds-100 pds, and up to a foot taller than me.
I was going to fight amatuers when i was about 20, but an injury changed my mind. I've always stayed active though no matter what. I moved to martial arts after this. I workout 5 days a week, twice a day. I box for about an hour at my house in the morning...I'm up to 6 rounds 3 minute each (1 minute rest) on the speed bag. Then I go 6 rounds 3 minute each (1 minute rest) on the heavy bag. So, 12 rounds altogether. Then I go to the gym, and workout for about another 2 hours. I'm mainly a power lifter, but do it all...Run at least twice, swim twice, jump rope twice, and do toning as well. I've put a lot of time in my traps (neck), and legs so I'm able to take a punch.

So...After all this work...I realize I'm doing nothing with it, and I should be out there showing my talents. My only flaw is height...I'm only about 5'7, 165 (all muscle though)...but I got good head movement, I stretch before/ after every workout (so I'm quite flexible/ quick), good punching power, and I take a good pop. Really haven't been hurt in sparring in quite a long time.

SO here IMO is my real flaw.......How do I lose a sparring mentality?! I know I have the power to seriously hurt somebody, but never hit anybody over 70% power. I know amatuers isn't about power, but for me (at this weight) it'd have to be because there so much taller, and I'd have to bust them up on the inside. How do I lose a sparring mentality?...Preferably without having to be an ass, and seriously BEATING somebody in sparring..

BTW: THe only thing I thought of was POWER PUNCHING the bag. The last 2 rounds I really sit down on my punches, throw less, but there about 70-100% power. My other 4 rounds are mainly head movement, boxing about 50% power.

Last edited by Primenal; 02-01-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Primenal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
joe the great
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: The best way to lose a sparring mentality..

Get in a gym and hit the mitts at 100 percent power (unless the trainer tells you different). Maybe you could get against bigger guys in the gym that don't mind you hitting at full force. Get certified in amateur boxing and get in the ring. See how you do for a year and go from there. If you do well consider going pro.
What kind of martial arts are you into? Maybe you could also look at kickboxing or MMA. But make sure that you don't go pro in any sport until you've at least experienced amateur competition.
joe the great is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

lol wtf is toning?
younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe the great View Post
Get in a gym and hit the mitts at 100 percent power (unless the trainer tells you different). Maybe you could get against bigger guys in the gym that don't mind you hitting at full force. Get certified in amateur boxing and get in the ring. See how you do for a year and go from there. If you do well consider going pro.
What kind of martial arts are you into? Maybe you could also look at kickboxing or MMA. But make sure that you don't go pro in any sport until you've at least experienced amateur competition.
JKD...So that isn't going to help in any MMA career. I do practice leg kicks, and front kicks though...So, kick boxing could be a possibility.

"toning" is what I consider high reps with things like cables. For instance i said I'm mainly a power lifter....Meaning whenever I lift I pretty much never exceed 5 reps. I use things like boxing, swimming, and isometrics (flexing infront of the mirror just like a bodybuilder would) to get muscularity. Once a week though I go higher reps (around 10) with things like cables, and machines...Instead of just doing my big meathead exercises.
That is what *I* consider toning.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

oo igh. its not rly toning but i understand wat ur saying.
younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
WanderinPugilst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primenal View Post
The other night watching my guy fight toughman, and me not fighting in anything...Made me realize how much a physichal monster I am, and should probably fight some fights (amatuers probably right now).
I just turned 23, but have been working out since I was about 15. Hitting the bag since around that time. I've sparred with golden glove winners, a couple pros, guys that outweigh me from 20 pds-100 pds, and up to a foot taller than me.
I was going to fight amatuers when i was about 20, but an injury changed my mind. I've always stayed active though no matter what. I moved to martial arts after this. I workout 5 days a week, twice a day. I box for about an hour at my house in the morning...I'm up to 6 rounds 3 minute each (1 minute rest) on the speed bag. Then I go 6 rounds 3 minute each (1 minute rest) on the heavy bag. So, 12 rounds altogether. Then I go to the gym, and workout for about another 2 hours. I'm mainly a power lifter, but do it all...Run at least twice, swim twice, jump rope twice, and do toning as well. I've put a lot of time in my traps (neck), and legs so I'm able to take a punch.

So...After all this work...I realize I'm doing nothing with it, and I should be out there showing my talents. My only flaw is height...I'm only about 5'7, 165 (all muscle though)...but I got good head movement, I stretch before/ after every workout (so I'm quite flexible/ quick), good punching power, and I take a good pop. Really haven't been hurt in sparring in quite a long time.

SO here IMO is my real flaw.......How do I lose a sparring mentality?! I know I have the power to seriously hurt somebody, but never hit anybody over 70% power. I know amatuers isn't about power, but for me (at this weight) it'd have to be because there so much taller, and I'd have to bust them up on the inside. How do I lose a sparring mentality?...Preferably without having to be an ass, and seriously BEATING somebody in sparring..

BTW: THe only thing I thought of was POWER PUNCHING the bag. The last 2 rounds I really sit down on my punches, throw less, but there about 70-100% power. My other 4 rounds are mainly head movement, boxing about 50% power.
You should trade 4 of those 6 rounds on the speed bag for shadowboxing.

5-7 at 165 is quite honestly short for that weight class, but you should just focus on training boxing. You'd be amazed at how much weight you'll lose, even if you think most of it is muscle. I was 180 when I stepped in to a boxing gym, dropped 40lbs in about 8 months, and I wasn't out of shape before, I just hit the weights alot.

And about this whole mentality thing, I would just go into a real fight. Trust me, when you're in a fight and you realize the other guy isn't trying to "spar" and is instead trying to take your head off, you kind of lose sympathy for beating his ass.
WanderinPugilst is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
WanderinPugilst

Quote:
JKD...So that isn't going to help in any MMA career. I do practice leg kicks, and front kicks though...So, kick boxing could be a possibility.
Why don't you think JKD would help your MMA career? JKD is essentially, at it's core principle, mixed martial arts.
WanderinPugilst is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinPugilst View Post
Why don't you think JKD would help your MMA career? JKD is essentially, at it's core principle, mixed martial arts.
JKD is a lot of eye gouging, knee kicks, groin kicks, etc.
I mean it is a lot of boxing (I already knew how to box), and add to that a front kick is about all you can actually do. JKD has nothing to do with grappling, there is no kicks from the rear leg, etc.

As for my weight...I know exactly what you mean. Honestly though...If I was say 15 pds lighter I'd be ready for a bodybuilding competition instead. I'm about 8% body fat right now...So, I don't have much weight to lose. If I lose to much weight I'd really lose power as well. I'm actually going to hit the cardio harder, and we'll see where my weight goes. I know if I were to actually make a boxing career I'd have to drop weight. I just wanted to fight a couple amatuer fights for fun, but I know damn well it'd be tough if I go against a guy with a decent jab.....
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
joe the great
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

"toning" is what I consider high reps with things like cables. For instance i said I'm mainly a power lifter....Meaning whenever I lift I pretty much never exceed 5 reps. I use things like boxing, swimming, and isometrics (flexing infront of the mirror just like a bodybuilder would) to get muscularity. Once a week though I go higher reps (around 10) with things like cables, and machines...Instead of just doing my big meathead exercises.
That is what *I* consider toning.
Seems to me JKD would be helpful in MMA. Look at Sean Gannon the guy who first beat Kimbo. Just make sure you cross train in some kind of grappling art. I do believe that kickboxing or boxing do sound like a better fit from what you are telling me. You might also try toughman competition before going pro.
joe the great is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Primenal - don't get entrenched in the 'power' mentality, it will be your downfall. Try to think more along the line of punch output, punch accuracy and punch selection. Trust me, if you think with a 'power' mentality with every punch you will get countered to death, in addition to punching yourself out, which will happen regardless of your fitness levels. If you punch yourself out, you will have no power anyway, conserve your power and use it at the right time!

Get yourself lined up with someone who handles mitts well and concentrate on putiing combinations together. When you are on the mitts, think of snapping the punches, speed kills, if you want to, drop a power shot in. Work on something like a jab-cross-lead uppercut-cross combo. When you throw the jab, cross and uppercut try to focus on speed and accuracy, and then apply your power on your second right hand, stay on balance and jab away. Once you have this down, move onto another combo, for example, work to the head with a crisp 1-2-1-2, then bang, throw in a hard left hook to the body...

The trick is to mix up your punches, work an opening and then use your power, and make it count, its no use throwing power punches if they keep getting blocked.

Edit: If you do want to work on power punching drills try 10x1 minute power boxing rounds. By powerboxing, I mean get in close to the bag and throw every punch with bad intentions, and throw as many punches as you can. For the first round you should be aiming for at least 100 punches. Also use hill sprints, hitting a tyre with a sledge hammer and medicine ball slams for various intervals. These drill will push your work capacity to its absolute limit.

Last edited by Bodi; 03-06-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Bodi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing