Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #106
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did Marcanio duck Patterson?

How could Marciano duck Liston?? Liston hardly rank in 13 bouts when Marciano retire.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #107
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO
Shut up, Cannelloni!

This kid is a raciest punk and a CYBOR tough guy(which is the same as a telephone toughguy) you can clearly see he is hatefull because Marciano is a white Italian and it kills him...he is a boy, or a girl
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #108
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Yes, but how many truley good heavyweights did he fight, and in the primes of their career's? A lot of people rip Patterson a new asshole for getting KO'd in one by Liston, but did Charles really ever fight a puncher of liston's calibur, except for Marciano who dusted him?
Rex Layne and Bob Satterfield were good punchers,and Charles beat them,plus he stood up to and beat Moore,one of the hardesthitting LHvys 3 times,I dont think Charles,s chin was that bad.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #109
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
This kid is a raciest punk and a CYBOR tough guy(which is the same as a telephone toughguy) you can clearly see he is hatefull because Marciano is a white Italian and it kills him...he is a boy, or a girl

Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #110
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Fighters with Marciano's style usually don't reign as champion for long. It's just too difficult to get into that kind of condition and take that kind of punishment for long. I think Marciano realized this as well. The ****ell fight was a good indicator of this. Marciano clubbed, fouled and mauled a punching bag for almost 10 rounds before finally putting him away. It did'nt take a soothsayer to know that Rocky was pretty much done as a dominant HW force. And while some of the up and coming HW's might not have been considered legit challengers YET, in another year or two they would have been and probably would have been too much for an older shopworn Marciano. Rocky's time was fast passing and he knew it. Give him credit for knowing when it was time to quit before being embarrased by a young lion. An old beat up Marciano would have been a resume padder for a fast as lightning Patterson or a brutal puncher like Liston.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #111
jackiebrown
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTFO
Because he does not deserve it. That's the point.
please you got a picture of a ****y black chicken shit from the "mean streets" of grand rapids ...yep ... nobody can stand him ..the only way he can make any money is from a bunch of fans hopeing like hell he gets ko'd ...yep ... makes rap videos where he plays ass grab and splash splash with abunch of other shit heads...yep ... rocky marciano ko's floyd mayweather in 2 .. yep ... soon as floyd loses i have a feeling the winners picture will be in your avatar...yep....

ok my rap is over
jackiebrown is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #112
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Retiring and 'ducking' are two totally separate entities. Silly thread really.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 AM   #113
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Clay II
No he didn't. If Charles had a solid chin then so did Patterson had just as good a chin as Ezz, if not better. If Marciano had a hard time putting away Charles, he could definetely have a hard time putting away Patterson as well.
The crucial difference is that Charles was much more elusive and defensively adept than Patterson.

If Patterson comes straight at Marciano then things are going to come to their logical conclusion much sooner.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 AM   #114
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

The circumstances on the ground whwn Marciano retired

I had a look at a copy of ring magazine when Marcianos retirment was anounced.

Floyd Patterson was seen as an exciting prospect but not a potential challenger to Marcianos crown and certainly not the next champion.

The editors conclude that Marciano has met all logical challengers. They suggest that he could perhaps have stayed on and fought Tommy Huricane Jackson but that it would not have been competitive. It is asumed that Archie Moore being the next champion is as good as a done deal.

What is aparent is that Patterson came from nowhere verry quickly. Marciano's retirment prompted Cus Damato to alter his plans and make an early grab for the title which against anybodys expectations suceeded, producing the youngest heavyweight champion of all time.

Marciano toyed with the idea of coming back to fight Patterson and Johansen but it quickly became aparent to him that he would never recover his previous form so he ditched the plans.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #115
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Rockys own thoughts on his eventual conqueror

I can remember, though, the night that Joe Louis and Jersey Joe Walcott fought for the first time and Walcott had Louis down twice but didn’t get the decision. I had had one pro fight 10 months before and I was sitting on the bed at home listening to the fight.
It never occurred to me that I would be the guy to knock out Louis and retire him and then knock out Walcott and take the heavyweight championship of the world. Now that I’m champion I wonder, once in a while, if there is some other kid nobody ever heard of sitting someplace and listening to one of my fights, or watching it on television, who might, in a few years, do the same thing to me.
I'm heavyweight champion of the world, but is there some young fighter somewhere who wants it as much as I did?
Out on the West Coast there’s this big, young heavyweight named Charlie Powell. He put together a lot of knockouts last year, and they were touting him as a real good prospect. That night last fall when he fought Charley Norkus I watched on television, and when the fight got under way I could see that he was a big guy and boxed nice and could punch. "You know," I thought to myself, "this might be the guy."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #116
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Rockys own thoughts on his eventual conqueror

I can remember, though, the night that Joe Louis and Jersey Joe Walcott fought for the first time and Walcott had Louis down twice but didnít get the decision. I had had one pro fight 10 months before and I was sitting on the bed at home listening to the fight.
It never occurred to me that I would be the guy to knock out Louis and retire him and then knock out Walcott and take the heavyweight championship of the world. Now that Iím champion I wonder, once in a while, if there is some other kid nobody ever heard of sitting someplace and listening to one of my fights, or watching it on television, who might, in a few years, do the same thing to me.
I'm heavyweight champion of the world, but is there some young fighter somewhere who wants it as much as I did?
Out on the West Coast thereís this big, young heavyweight named Charlie Powell. He put together a lot of knockouts last year, and they were touting him as a real good prospect. That night last fall when he fought Charley Norkus I watched on television, and when the fight got under way I could see that he was a big guy and boxed nice and could punch. "You know," I thought to myself, "this might be the guy."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I read that a few months ago. Intriguing glimpse into Marciano's psyche.
fists of fury is online now  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #117
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

This is the same bad thinking as Lewis "ducked" a Klit rematch.

Retiring is not ducking. Retiring is saying that you don't want to do something anymore.

One thing I haven't seen anyone post (didn't read the entire thread yet) is that MArciano had a bad back, and that contributed to his retirement. In that context, maybe FLoyd could have beat him, and so could a lot of guys becasue the Rock couldn't train anymmore. That might be why he quit, but it sure ain't ducking either. Is a fighter who no longer has it obligated to hang around and get his brains knocked out?

I think MOST would say that prime for prime, Marciano was the better man. But Floyd was a legend in is own right, a bit underweight and chinny, but fast, powerful, and brave. It would have been a fight between two ring warriors.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #118
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

boy he went downward after loseing to Charley Norkus. so I guess he wasnt the guy lol. If Rocky had not retire, and assumeing he can make it to say what?? 37??? 38??? I dont think he can, but than Liston may be the guy.

I give Machen or Folly good shots in beating a past it Rocky before Liston does.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #119
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
boy he went downward after loseing to Charley Norkus. so I guess he wasnt the guy lol.
The point is that some people here almost act as if Marciano could see into the future and determine that Paterson and Liston were to be the heirs to his throne.

In practice experts are verry inconsistent at picking winners on the way up. The guy who Marciano would identify as a likley sucessor might turn out to be the Audley Harrison of his era.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #120
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano needed Bill Corum and his time Machine to know what would have happen if he went on lol. But outside of Corum, we dont know what will happen.

Last edited by Flatlander; 06-22-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum