Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 PM   #1
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 1040
Default Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Lost inthe conterversity as to rather or not the fight should have been stoped or not is the fact that Chavez needed a to stop Taylor in the twelth snd final round in order to maintain his 68 fight wining streek. Despite loseing rounds Chavez had been landing shots on Taylor that would leed to the stopage. Chavez before this fight had been in the ring with many good boxers including Roger Mayweather,Rocky Lockridge,Juan LaPorte,Edwin Rosario and Jose Luis Ramirez. Also as well as defending his WBC light welterweight title and adding Taylor's IBF light welterweight title that nite he had also won tittles at Super featherweight as well as lightweight. After the first Taylor fight he remain the WBC Jr light welterweight champion intill he was upset by Frankie Randall in 1994.
My question is was Chavez's win over Taylor in their first bout concidering what he had to do in the final round to win the best acomplishment of his carrer?
ripcity is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

To me, his greatest accomplishment wasn't any one fight; it was his remarkable consistency through the years.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

I'd would say it is his best win. Taylor was looking real good coming into this fight being an Olympic gold medalist with a win over Buddy McGirt and several title defences. Aside from his record on paper, he was amazing in the ring with those fast hands and combination punching.

Chavez didn't beat anyone else as good as Taylor in his career, sadly the Chavez fight did have a bad effect on Taylors career, beating him up physically and influencing his disastrous moves up in weight. Because of this we didn't see how good Taylor may have become.
Its evidence enough of how good Taylor waqs by how well he went in the Chavez fight almost beating him.
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

it would have been his greatest win if he didn't need the ref to win it for him.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Look it, Chavez was the better FIGHTER. Taylor was the better boxer, but in a long fight, the better fighter usually wins. If that was a true championship fight, a 15 rounder, there would have been no question. CHavez would have knocked him out cold. Taylor would have gone the way of Billy Conn or Thomas Hearns (v. Leonard I). A great boxing performance, but an eventual loss to an even greater overall champion. Yes, that was an awesome performance because despite dealing with the blazing combos of a very talented guy, Chavez still managed to emerge unmarked, managed to land the harder, cleaner, more effective shots, and show how a true professional breaks down a guy with the flurry style over the long haul. If you had your life on the line and needed a guy to fight to the finish on your behalf, who would you pick, Chavez or Taylor? Finally, bottom line is every boxer knows that when you get knocked down, your number one duty is to hold your hands up, not lean on the ropes, and say to the ref, "I'm alll right." I teach that to my amateur boxers, and most amateurs know that. Taylor won a gold medal. He knew too. Bottom line is he did not do that and Steele was within his rights to stop it. And believe me, no one was more pissed that night than me because despite being a big Chavez fan, I bet on Taylor, figuring his hand speed and punch volume would be too much. But in hindsight, after watching it dispassionately, Taylor did not hold his hands up and answer Steele's simple question, "Are you okay?" If you can't answer that, you shouldn't be allowed to continue. Also, watch the interview - Taylor claims he held his hands up and said he was okay, which was not true. He was not in his right state of mind for those few moments, and that's all that is needed for a ref to stop it.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

MayweatherI and Rosario saw Chavez in better form and were his peak fights. The first Taylor fight, was the fight that showed Chavez to be the best Mexican ever and proof that he was Great.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 AM   #7
Doc McCoy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Spot on with your summation apollack.

To me I think Chavez looked most impressive against Rosario. Julio broke him down in a textbook manner and administered a severe beating.
Chapo wasn't the same fighter after facing Chavez and how many can we say that about? . . . . . . Plenty.

I'd also agree with salsanchezfan and say that Chavez' consistency is pretty amazing going from 1984 when he beat Mario Martinez in a GREAT scrap for the 130lb title up until 1996 and the first De La Hoya fight.

In reference to the first Meldrick Taylor fight I will say that Meldrick was lucky the fight ended when it did. If there had have been any more time left then we may well have had another Benny Paret on our hands and the same "pundits" that bitch and moan about the fight being stopped prematurely would have been lambasting Steele for letting it go on too long.
Doc McCoy is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it was his best win due to the fact that he was widely regarded as the p4p best after that fight. However I believe his best performance was against Rosario, he looked amazing in that fight.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
To me, his greatest accomplishment wasn't any one fight; it was his remarkable consistency through the years.
I agree. Even the way he easily beat guys like John Duplessis who was a good fighter. He beat guys with ease who were tough guys like Haugen. I always thought Haugen should have given him a better fight than he did. Haugen's punches didn't seem to do anything to Julio.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Haugen was slightly cute. That worked against him, I felt. Chavez couldn't miss.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

It's right up near the top. Taylor I and Rosario are his best wins, although he thoroughly dominated the latter in probably his hallmark performance. MT was hell to overcome.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

If you`re talking single fights then yes, probably. He came through hell in the 90s fight of the decade vs a prime fellow top 5 p4per in a unification fight, this showing by JCC is one of the greatest displays of determination, heart & will ever seen.

His career as a whole is what really makes his legend though.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Lost inthe conterversity as to rather or not the fight should have been stoped or not is the fact that Chavez needed a to stop Taylor in the twelth snd final round in order to maintain his 68 fight wining streek. Despite loseing rounds Chavez had been landing shots on Taylor that would leed to the stopage. Chavez before this fight had been in the ring with many good boxers including Roger Mayweather,Rocky Lockridge,Juan LaPorte,Edwin Rosario and Jose Luis Ramirez. Also as well as defending his WBC light welterweight title and adding Taylor's IBF light welterweight title that nite he had also won tittles at Super featherweight as well as lightweight. After the first Taylor fight he remain the WBC Jr light welterweight champion intill he was upset by Frankie Randall in 1994.
My question is was Chavez's win over Taylor in their first bout concidering what he had to do in the final round to win the best acomplishment of his carrer?
Despite the fact that he really deserved to lose it on a 12 round decision, I think it was one of his greatest statements..one of the greatest statements of ANY fighter...EVER.
It really wasn't JCC's fault that this damned age we live in now limits title bouts to a paltry, unmanly 12 rounds...it's not his fault.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Chavez has nightmares of this fight, even though he won. Whenever they ask him about it, his facial expression changes. He always says Taylor was the greatest he fought and the toughest. Chavez recently was asked again about this fight. He said that he wanted the fight to end. That when he dropped Taylor, he didn't care if he got up or not, he just wanted the fight to end. He kept telling his corner that he wanted to faint and throw up. He was exhausted and beat, not just Taylor. That was one of the most brutal fights in the history IMO. I don't even know how Chavez was able to continue his success, at that level. Chavez was a strong man. If Taylor wouldn't of faced Chavez at that time, how would have Taylor's career been different? Taylor was destined for Hall of Fame.
LACMEXAME is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum