Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 396
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Personally, I'm more impressed by the absolute destruction and emasculation of Rosario and Chavez' consistency over the years.

Taylor I is the most famous highlight of Chavez' career, but not the most impressive.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
it would have been his greatest win if he didn't need the ref to win it for him.
He was lucky Chavez didn't get a chance to hit him again.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
Chavez has nightmares of this fight, even though he won. Whenever they ask him about it, his facial expression changes. He always says Taylor was the greatest he fought and the toughest. Chavez recently was asked again about this fight. He said that he wanted the fight to end. That when he dropped Taylor, he didn't care if he got up or not, he just wanted the fight to end. He kept telling his corner that he wanted to faint and throw up. He was exhausted and beat, not just Taylor. That was one of the most brutal fights in the history IMO. I don't even know how Chavez was able to continue his success, at that level. Chavez was a strong man. If Taylor wouldn't of faced Chavez at that time, how would have Taylor's career been different? Taylor was destined for Hall of Fame.
It's my favorite fight in history as well, right next to MAB-Morales I.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LOS ANGELES
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
It's my favorite fight in history as well, right next to MAB-Morales I.
Hands of Iron is back!!!!
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
It's my favorite fight in history as well, right next to MAB-Morales I.


You don`t get much better than those fights, particularly EM-MAB I.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
Spot on with your summation apollack.

To me I think Chavez looked most impressive against Rosario. Julio broke him down in a textbook manner and administered a severe beating.
Chapo wasn't the same fighter after facing Chavez and how many can we say that about? . . . . . . Plenty.

I'd also agree with salsanchezfan and say that Chavez' consistency is pretty amazing going from 1984 when he beat Mario Martinez in a GREAT scrap for the 130lb title up until 1996 and the first De La Hoya fight.

In reference to the first Meldrick Taylor fight I will say that Meldrick was lucky the fight ended when it did. If there had have been any more time left then we may well have had another Benny Paret on our hands and the same "pundits" that bitch and moan about the fight being stopped prematurely would have been lambasting Steele for letting it go on too long.

Totally false, had the fight been allowed to continue.. pretty much NO more damage would've been done to Taylor.. There simply wasn't enough time. So I disagree we'd have another anything on our hands besides a Meldrick Taylor decision victory over the great chavez. Now, whether the fight should've been stopped is another matter, but nothing more was going to happen that fight.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
Totally false, had the fight been allowed to continue.. pretty much NO more damage would've been done to Taylor.. There simply wasn't enough time. So I disagree we'd have another anything on our hands besides a Meldrick Taylor decision victory over the great chavez. Now, whether the fight should've been stopped is another matter, but nothing more was going to happen that fight.
Yes but look at it this way. When Taylor went down there was 17 seconds left in the round. Steele finished his 8 count and there was 7 seconds left in the round. If he was gonna stop it, he should of done it then instead of ****ing round asking him if he was alright and getting ignored. The fight should of been back on there with 7 seconds left. Plenty of time for Chavez to cause damage.
Have a look at the Curry McCrory ko. Milt goes down, gets up and Mills Lane gives him an 8 count. Gets out the way like he should and Curry lands that finishing shot within 1 second of him finishing the 8 count.
Bear in mind McCrory was still fresh when he got knocked out, Taylor had been getting beaten up for 12 rounds.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 475
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Yes but look at it this way. When Taylor went down there was 17 seconds left in the round. Steele finished his 8 count and there was 7 seconds left in the round. If he was gonna stop it, he should of done it then instead of ****ing round asking him if he was alright and getting ignored. The fight should of been back on there with 7 seconds left. Plenty of time for Chavez to cause damage.
Have a look at the Curry McCrory ko. Milt goes down, gets up and Mills Lane gives him an 8 count. Gets out the way like he should and Curry lands that finishing shot within 1 second of him finishing the 8 count.
Bear in mind McCrory was still fresh when he got knocked out, Taylor had been getting beaten up for 12 rounds.
There was not supposed to be a standing 8 count anyway so Steele messed that up too...
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
There was not supposed to be a standing 8 count anyway so Steele messed that up too...

I understood that the rules meant there was no standing 8 count but there was a mandatory 8 in the case of a knockdown.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: STL
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Yes it was me and my pops watched this that was special last second victory .
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 475
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
I understood that the rules meant there was no standing 8 count but there was a mandatory 8 in the case of a knockdown.
I'll have to rewatch the beginning of the fight but I could've sworn it was no mandatory 8 count.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,348
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I'll have to rewatch the beginning of the fight but I could've sworn it was no mandatory 8 count.
You could be right, I'm not 100 percent sure!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #28
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 475
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
You could be right, I'm not 100 percent sure!
Just checked; no standing 8, but no mention of a mandatory 8. I'll assume the rule was in effect and I just remembered incorrectly.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #29
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

This was Julio Cesar Chavez`s greatest win.

The thing that stands out was how poised Julio was in that 12th round. Yes he was giving Meldrick Taylor an unholy beating but Taylor was still there. He never got wild or lost his focus. He just kept banging.
ETM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
Chavez recently was asked again about this fight. He said that he wanted the fight to end. That when he dropped Taylor, he didn't care if he got up or not, he just wanted the fight to end.
Not surprised. It was a fast fight and Julio`s hands must of been sore. What a horrific beating.
ETM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013