boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #31
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

The only reason the stoppage is controversial is because it was in the last 4 seconds of the fight.
But he was also holding the ropes.
Did he response to "are you ok?"

The stoppage was fair, but it would have been just as fair to not stop the fight considering Chavez might not have been able to punch him anymore.
dyna is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Was Julio Cesar Chavez-Meldrick Taylor I Chavez's most impresive acomplishment

THe fact remains no more damage would've been done.. and certainly not significant damage that's for sure. I'm not going into whether it should've been stopped or not.. but let's not act like we were about to witness another death on our hands.

IMO this wasn't his best fight.. your best fight can't be one where you were totally outboxed and losing a WIDE decision till the final 10 seconds of the last round where you happen to score a TKO. That IMO can never be your best fight.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
THe fact remains no more damage would've been done.. and certainly not significant damage that's for sure. I'm not going into whether it should've been stopped or not.. but let's not act like we were about to witness another death on our hands.

IMO this wasn't his best fight.. your best fight can't be one where you were totally outboxed and losing a WIDE decision till the final 10 seconds of the last round where you happen to score a TKO. That IMO can never be your best fight.
How's it a fact?
Like I said before
Yes but look at it this way. When Taylor went down there was 17 seconds left in the round. Steele finished his 8 count and there was 7 seconds left in the round. If he was gonna stop it, he should of done it then instead of ****ing round asking him if he was alright and getting ignored. The fight should of been back on there with 7 seconds left. Plenty of time for Chavez to cause damage.
Have a look at the Curry McCrory ko. Milt goes down, gets up and Mills Lane gives him an 8 count. Gets out the way like he should and Curry lands that finishing shot within 1 second of him finishing the 8 count.
Bear in mind McCrory was still fresh when he got knocked out, Taylor had been getting beaten up for 12 rounds.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That is a TERRIBLE way of looking at that sequence. Steele DID ask those questions and thus that is ALL the time that was left. Stop trying to retroactive the retroactive sequence of events. ALL that was left was 7 secs.. PERIOD.. 2 secs of that would be Chavez walking over to Taylor.. With maybe.. maybe if he's lucky one or two punches landing. Point is, no fight where you're getting outclassed and losing a wide UD can be your best fight. It's really that simple.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #35
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That is a TERRIBLE way of looking at that sequence. Steele DID ask those questions and thus that is ALL the time that was left. Stop trying to retroactive the retroactive sequence of events. ALL that was left was 7 secs.. PERIOD.. 2 secs of that would be Chavez walking over to Taylor.. With maybe.. maybe if he's lucky one or two punches landing. Point is, no fight where you're getting outclassed and losing a wide UD can be your best fight. It's really that simple.
I never said it was his best fight. The fact is Steele gave him the count, asked him how he was more than once giving him another 5 seconds and he didn't respond. Steele had no choice but to stop it.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #36
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post

The stoppage was fair, but it would have been just as fair to not stop the fight considering Chavez might not have been able to punch him anymore.
Nah...Steele`s job wasn't to keep track of the time or play guessing games. He saw a very hurt fighter in front of him and he did a good job stopping the fight.

He was the closest one to the action for 12 rounds. He saw and heard the punches bouncing off of Taylor better anyone. His face was pounded into a bloody mask.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This just is true though.. Steele say WAY more punches bouncing of Chavez face than he did Taylor's.. In fact, the number isn't even close to the same. Chavez was being outclassed.. outworked and outfought the entire fight. He was on his way to losing a LOPSIDED UD... I wish people who stop acting like Chavez was punishing Taylor the whole fight and it was one sided in favor of Chavez and thus the stoppage justified.. this coulndn't be further from the truth. The only thing lopsided was the score between the two
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #38
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll agree with you that Taylor was heading for victory and landing the most punches but I'd be surprised if you couldn't agree with me that Chavez was causing the most damage. The fight was set for 12 rounds and the simple fact is that within that time Taylor was rendered incapable of fighting on, he took the mandatory and when asked how he was didn't respond.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #39
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
This just is true though.. Steele say WAY more punches bouncing of Chavez face than he did Taylor's.. In fact, the number isn't even close to the same. Chavez was being outclassed.. outworked and outfought the entire fight. He was on his way to losing a LOPSIDED UD... I wish people who stop acting like Chavez was punishing Taylor the whole fight and it was one sided in favor of Chavez and thus the stoppage justified.. this coulndn't be further from the truth. The only thing lopsided was the score between the two
Chavez was losing but outclassed is an overstatement I think.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #40
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

That old fat fool distracting taylor played a part in him not responding as well.

It's just one of those things that could easily have ended up another way on a different night.maybe taylor getting knocked out if it's allowed to go on, maybe he lasts the distance and wins.

Unlucky for Taylor and lucky for Julio.Both fought an impressive but ultimately one dimensional fight that resulted in this sort of late rounds drama being almost inevitable, considering the strengths and flaws both had.
lora is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #41
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
I'll agree with you that Taylor was heading for victory and landing the most punches but I'd be surprised if you couldn't agree with me that Chavez was causing the most damage. The fight was set for 12 rounds and the simple fact is that within that time Taylor was rendered incapable of fighting on, he took the mandatory and when asked how he was didn't respond.
I do agree that Chavez was causing damage.. that part was clear.. but to act like when somebody viewed that fight the clear presentation was that Chavez was punishing Taylor and doing serious damage just isn't true. The damage was more hidden than evident visually. Which was my point, but sure, Chavez was doing some damage no doubt there.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #42
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
That old fat fool distracting taylor played a part in him not responding as well.

It's just one of those things that could easily have ended up another way on a different night.maybe taylor getting knocked out if it's allowed to go on, maybe he lasts the distance and wins.

Unlucky for Taylor and lucky for Julio.Both fought an impressive but ultimately one dimensional fight that resulted in this sort of late rounds drama being almost inevitable, considering the strengths and flaws both had.
You're right yes, Lou Duva didn't do him any favours distracting him.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #43
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #44
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Even if Taylor hadn't been distracted and was coherent enough to say he was ok, the next instruction would have been to walk forward to show that he still had his legs under him. That's a whole different proposition. One I'm not sure Taylor could comply with, even giving him the benefit of the doubt of being distracted by Lou....
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #45
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Taylor was clearly distracted by Duva's flapping jowls. It must have been like gazing upon a disgustingly obese turkey ready for the slaughter.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum