Old 11-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Archie Moore vs. Ron Lyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatesdeboxeo View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing your list of fighters Lyle beat that were as good as Ezzard Charles.

This should be interesting.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing your list of fighters Lyle beat that were as good as Ezzard Charles.

This should be interesting.
nobody

although bugner, shavers, and bonavena aren't bad wins, they don't compare to Charles at all.

I think he's basing his opinion on the foreman and Ali fights. Which hebshowed bad stamina and an inconsistent defense.

Lyle was a warrior, but I think he drops a desicion against Moore because Moore was too crafty and smart to slug with Lyle. I also think Lyle was way too slow for Moore. Moore would counter him very very easily. Lyle could get outboxed very easily, he was very flawed..
Moore UD 15 Lyle
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross_trainer View Post
Predictions?
A motivated Lyle is too big and strong for Moore..... But a lackluster Lyle does just enough to drop a decision to the smaller but better boxer Moore... A stinky draw is in the making here... WORD!

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #19
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lyle never KO'd a fighter in the same league as, or within two leagues of, Moore.

Where does this fiction about Lyle being some kinda KO artist come from?
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

A. George Foreman Fans

B. The misconception that being able to do 1,500 pushups a day in prison = Titanic Punching Power
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #21
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Moore probably outsmarts the bigger and stronger Lyle to a close decision win. Moore did not have the chin of Quarry or Young though, and he wasn't exactly a fleet-footed survival artist, so he could be stopped also. Likely he would just have too much experience and smarts for Lyle who was a very late starter in the game, and got by mostly with what he had learned "on the job" and his physical ability. Moore might get dropped here, but he would fight his way back as he did many times as Lyle begins to fade and turn predictable.

Lyle is better than Valdes in my opinion but not by a whole lot, and he didn't have an outstanding jab like Nino. Less skilled than Baker, but more durable and stronger.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #22
combatesdeboxeo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
A motivated Lyle is too big and strong for Moore..... But a lackluster Lyle does just enough to drop a decision to the smaller but better boxer Moore... A stinky draw is in the making here... WORD!

MR.BILL
combatesdeboxeo is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #23
combatesdeboxeo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Moore probably outsmarts the bigger and stronger Lyle to a close decision win. Moore did not have the chin of Quarry or Young though, and he wasn't exactly a fleet-footed survival artist, so he could be stopped also. Likely he would just have too much experience and smarts for Lyle who was a very late starter in the game, and got by mostly with what he had learned "on the job" and his physical ability. Moore might get dropped here, but he would fight his way back as he did many times as Lyle begins to fade and turn predictable.

Lyle is better than Valdes in my opinion but not by a whole lot, and he didn't have an outstanding jab like Nino. Less skilled than Baker, but more durable and stronger.
could be. good opinion
Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #24
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
One thing that the old mongoose could do was decision big punchers. Chances are that he would take a UD.
I agree!
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #25
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Moore should have been too "wily", "crafty" and "foxy" for Lyle..but it would have to be an A-Game Moore to sneak a decision, because I have recollections of a guy named Yvon Durelle who found the sweet spot vs Archie several times and almost pulled it off...and Lyle, regarless of his limitations and shortcomings as a fighter, was a big, strong, BIG punching mother...and Moore, as stated earlier, didn't have a Young or Quarry type chin. Lyle's ko's of Middleton, Mathis and especially Shavers were noteworthy..and he did decl Foreman twice....so Archie would have quite a dangerous mission ahead of him.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #26
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Moore cruises to a UD or a late stoppage.

Moore slipping the giant Valdez and backing him up with his power

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi66CQ_ivDg[/ame]

Quarry making Lyle lool foolish

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biE5ST6x9R0[/ame]
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #27
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
...and Moore, as stated earlier, didn't have a Young or Quarry type chin. Lyle's ko's of Middleton, Mathis and especially Shavers were noteworthy..and he did decl Foreman twice....so Archie would have quite a dangerous mission ahead of him.
Quarry didn't have to take that much punishment against Lyle, he was slipping and rolling everything he was throwing at him.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #28
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Lyle never KO'd a fighter in the same league as, or within two leagues of, Moore.

Do you understand the difference between having a powerful punch and being able to KO an opponent ? This is an honest question since SQ clearly does not .

Lyle was a limited fighter for several reasons. He started his career very late. He suffered a near deth stabbing prison that handicapped him every bit as much as the shooting did Cleveland Williams ... that being said, he remained a terrific power puncher.

George Foreman has said time and again that no one ever hit him like Ron Lyle did. Joe Bugner said the same. Earnie Shavers said Lyle was the hardest puncher he ever faced .. these are simply the facts ...

Lyle was a limited fighter, slow of foot and with average hand speed. He was however, very big, strong, game and a terrific puncher.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #29
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Lyle was a decent puncher not a killer puncher but he was a strong guy,that being said Jerry Quarry out boxed a prime Lyle, hurt him several times and dominated him. Moore was too slick for Lyle and faced harder punchers than Lyle. Lyle was no walk in the park but Quarry who was about the same size as Moore handled Lyle easily, I think Moore takes a UD
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #30
combatesdeboxeo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Lyle was a decent puncher not a killer puncher but he was a strong guy,that being said Jerry Quarry out boxed a prime Lyle, hurt him several times and dominated him. Moore was too slick for Lyle and faced harder punchers than Lyle. Lyle was no walk in the park but Quarry who was about the same size as Moore handled Lyle easily, I think Moore takes a UD
quarry had better chin than moore by a mile

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum