shiner
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default green comeback all but done

Daniel Lane
February 8, 2009

Advertisement

DANNY GREEN is expected on Tuesday to give Australian boxing fans what they've been praying for with suggestions he is set to pull the gloves on again to fight Anthony Mundine.
Green, his manager ****** Manolikos and Mundine's manager Khoder Nasser, were spotted talking at a Sydney restaurant last Sunday night.
Green, who retired last year as world champion when he had an "epiphany" to bow out while he was on top and in good health, has agonised over his decision for months. He fretted about going back on his word after promising there'd be no comeback. However, The Sunday Age understands that the former world champion has realised that, deep down, he is a fighter. While he's done such things as competed on Channel Seven's Dancing With The Stars, spent time with his young family, surfed overseas and established his business interests, Green misses the excitement of putting everything on the line on fight night.
Green admitted he'd had five sparring sessions against Perth-based Russian Victor Oganov and he felt sharper than ever. It's not known if he'd try to reclaim his world crown, but a rematch with Mundine would earn him millions. The fight would be contested at light-heavyweight. It took Green months to trim down to the super-middleweight limit for their 2006 bout. While he's never disputed Mundine won the fight, a doctor was ringside to monitor him because his body was experiencing distress similar to anorexia.
Those who knew were amazed the fight went the distance, though Green said he'd have died before being knocked down by his nemesis.
shiner is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: green comeback all but done

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Daniel Lane
February 8, 2009

Advertisement

DANNY GREEN is expected on Tuesday to give Australian boxing fans what they've been praying for with suggestions he is set to pull the gloves on again to fight Anthony Mundine.
Green, his manager ****** Manolikos and Mundine's manager Khoder Nasser, were spotted talking at a Sydney restaurant last Sunday night.
Green, who retired last year as world champion when he had an "epiphany" to bow out while he was on top and in good health, has agonised over his decision for months. He fretted about going back on his word after promising there'd be no comeback. However, The Sunday Age understands that the former world champion has realised that, deep down, he is a fighter. While he's done such things as competed on Channel Seven's Dancing With The Stars, spent time with his young family, surfed overseas and established his business interests, Green misses the excitement of putting everything on the line on fight night.
Green admitted he'd had five sparring sessions against Perth-based Russian Victor Oganov and he felt sharper than ever. It's not known if he'd try to reclaim his world crown, but a rematch with Mundine would earn him millions. The fight would be contested at light-heavyweight. It took Green months to trim down to the super-middleweight limit for their 2006 bout. While he's never disputed Mundine won the fight, a doctor was ringside to monitor him because his body was experiencing distress similar to anorexia.
Those who knew were amazed the fight went the distance, though Green said he'd have died before being knocked down by his nemesis.
If its true I hope green gets a title before they fight again.....hows Mundine going to fair from MW to LHW?

One would think Mundine will try to get a paper title at MW before going up....Green will need a warm up or 4 so maybe 1.5 year away....Green will need to get some good wins under his belt to get a title shot within a year.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
daz52
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1195

If they really wanted to make this huge they would both cherry pick titles at LHW and then set up a unification.

WBA
WBC
IBF
IBO
WBO

Both boys get there hand on any one of those belts and then unify. But i doubt it very much lol. Would like to see Green have at least 2 fights against moving boxers before taking it on.

Not that i really give a **** as the whole things a fraud and all of Australia should be watching guys like Vic, but i honestly believe with Mundines recent form this is a genuine 50/50 and Green by KO wouldnt be a bad bet.
daz52 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Anenigma
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Even though I am dissapointed Danny gave up his Title and might now do a backflip for money.

Watching Choc lately, I think Danny has a real chance of catching up with him in a rematch.
Anenigma is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

mundine will beat his silly ase, Green has zero chance of beating mundine. he should stay retired
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

If it's at 175lbs, I'd favour Green. Choc shouldn't be at that weight.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
If it's at 175lbs, I'd favour Green. Choc shouldn't be at that weight.
Yep I think Mundine would need a good 1 or 2 years to build up enough of the right muscle to fight at 78kgs.

Mundine is a big MW, average SMW and a small LHW....but I guess the thought of another $10,000,000 in the bank would be nice.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree mate. He'd be mad not to take the fight, which of course, they both will.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
I agree mate. He'd be mad not to take the fight, which of course, they both will.
Interesting to see what they both do and who and at what weight they fight over the next year or so before the big fight is made.
ashley is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I wonder if Green will have a tune up for or 2 before his fight with Mundine. A fight with Nader Hamden to see where he is at would be a good course of action.
cedrichw is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedrichw View Post
I wonder if Green will have a tune up for or 2 before his fight with Mundine. A fight with Nader Hamden to see where he is at would be a good course of action.
I think he will need a few.....bring on Paul Briggs.....na wont be on because Paul might beat him and there goes the big PPV dollars if Green gets beaten in his warm up fights....Nader is a good warm up fight....maybe sam as well....I know they are SMW and MW but if Green beats them easy that will relate to great PPV numbers....sam said he will move upto LHW to fight Green....I think
ashley is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #12
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Sigh...not really to fussed about it but at least it might inject a little life into the Ozzie boxing seen again.

Its at least a little more interesting now seeing as though Choc hasnt looked as good as he did against Danny the first time, in a while.

With the right prep Im not so sure the weight will be that big an issue considering the edge Mundine has in skill and ability..He certainly looked fleetfooted as 90 something kilo footy player.

Last edited by WhataRock; 02-08-2009 at 07:12 PM.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner View Post
Daniel Lane
February 8, 2009

Advertisement

well i guess you will be ****ing off now after your bet with lefty
but we all know you will go back on your word just like danny boy.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Bognashavin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i really don't want to see this fight, even if Danny manages to smack Mundine. Sparring Oganov can't be a good way to say you are ready either.
Bognashavin is offline  Top
Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
cedrichw
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yes but after a couple of warm up fights I guess we will know more then. I just hope he fights Nader over here in perth. Though he may think i already have the perth crows in my hands and fight in the East to get more support there. Come on Danny Nader in Perth mate not Sydney please
cedrichw is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum