Old 12-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #31
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wilfredo Gomez vs Prince Hasim Hamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
I think the Gomez that fought Sanchez beats them all there. Obviously he couldn't beat them consecutively because his prime finished too soon for that but like I said: THAT Gomez (that fought Sanchez) would have beaten them all.
how does he beat hamed, his chin is inferior, hamed is the harder puncher and he carries the weight at 126 alot better tha gomez did.

Im sure anyone can come up with some suggestion as to how hed win, but i just dont see it happening. Hamed should be the heavy favourite.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #32
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
how does he beat hamed, his chin is inferior, hamed is the harder puncher and he carries the weight at 126 alot better tha gomez did.

Im sure anyone can come up with some suggestion as to how hed win, but i just dont see it happening. Hamed should be the heavy favourite.
I'm not sure his chin is inferior. Just becuase he got stopped by Nelson and Sanchez doesn't mean he has an inferior chin. Hamed faced NO ONE of that quality and went down against lesser fighters.

Even giving Hamed the edge in chin though, (and an edge in speed which he'd have as well) the advantages I see that Gomez holds are:

1. Mentally MUCH tougher
2. Sounder offensive technique
3. Sounder defensive technique

I see Gomez surviving an early Hamed assault, where possibly Gomez goes down or gets put on queer street, but he recovers and as the fight goes, starts picking Hamed apart with short, crisp punches. It will probably come down to the last couple of rounds and I see Gomez stepping up and taking them through greater force of will.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #33
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

brownpimp88 is the poster boy for why crack babies need to be aborted upon first learning of the pregnancy.
doublesuited is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #34
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He also does MMA JT, better watch out.
well i train with revolution fight team, the gym that has tyler jackson and kalib starnes.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #35
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure his chin is inferior. Just becuase he got stopped by Nelson and Sanchez doesn't mean he has an inferior chin. Hamed faced NO ONE of that quality and went down against lesser fighters.

Even giving Hamed the edge in chin though, (and an edge in speed which he'd have as well) the advantages I see that Gomez holds are:

1. Mentally MUCH tougher

I see Gomez surviving an early Hamed assault, where possibly Gomez goes down or gets put on queer street, but he recovers and as the fight goes, starts picking Hamed apart with short, crisp punches. It will probably come down to the last couple of rounds and I see Gomez stepping up and taking them through greater force of will.
Thats a decent anaylsis but i just see the guy getting caught cold around the 6th or 7th round. Hamed had too much power and gomez will stand there and trade with him.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #36
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

The Gomez that fought and destroyed Carlos Zarate would have done the same to Hamed and then some. He would have made Hamed look like an amateur BEFORE destroying him. Don't think of the latter day Gomez, who was in decline but the version of 1976-78 who was the complete boxer with catlike moves, complete with a cat's cruel nature when disposing of a toyed-with lesser prey and devastating power. Make no mistake about it, Gomez would have outboxed THEN ko'd Hamed when he was bored with torturing him. Just look at a clip of Gomez-Zarate for proof. Remember that Zarate was just a half step below him in poundage as Bantamweight champion with height and reach advantages, and as you know, considered one of the greatest champions, ever in that divisio. Gomez completely destroyed him after masterfully outboxing and outspeeding him. Then remember that Hamed never fought anyone that compared to Gomez in class. Gomez was a killer who enjoyed his work. He was a bit of a sadist who would have made mincemeat of the overconfidence amateur that was Hamed. Hamed would have REALLY retired after the whipping that Gomez would put on him, ala Barrera.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 PM   #37
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Thats a decent anaylsis but i just see the guy getting caught cold around the 6th or 7th round. Hamed had too much power and gomez will stand there and trade with him.
Gomez, of couse, would not have "stood and traded" with Hamed. He was too clever for that. Gomez could box AND punch, and Hamed, like Barerra proved, had no clue of what to do when outboxed by a master, which is what Gomez was during his peak years of '76-'78.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #38
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
well i train with revolution fight team, the gym that has tyler jackson and kalib starnes.
Who?

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 AM   #39
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Who?

Thought the same thing. But I'll take it as a given that that makes him some sort of a bad ass, which of course adds to the credibility of his views.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:30 AM   #40
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Thought the same thing. But I'll take it as a given that that makes him some sort of a bad ass, which of course adds to the credibility of his views.
Credibility? What credibility?

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #41
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Who?

you dont know them, lol. Lets just say you dont follow mma.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #42
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:

1. Mentally MUCH tougher

completely immaterial!

that fella off 'million dollar baby' (the one who went on about Hearns being WW champ) had better technique that Hamed, but that means nothing as Hamed didnt use conventional technique, he used the Wincobank style of boxing, which heavily relied reflexes, speed, angles and the element of surprise

Gomez would get stopped inside 5 rounds, he is tailor made for Hamed

One last thing, name one fight were hamed was hit by more shots than Gomez was hit with against either Sanchez or Nelson?
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #43
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
completely immaterial!

that fella off 'million dollar baby' (the one who went on about Hearns being WW champ) had better technique that Hamed, but that means nothing as Hamed didnt use conventional technique, he used the Wincobank style of boxing, which heavily relied reflexes, speed, angles and the element of surprise

Gomez would get stopped inside 5 rounds, he is tailor made for Hamed

One last thing, name one fight were hamed was hit by more shots than Gomez was hit with against either Sanchez or Nelson?
The Barrera fight, which by the way, happened to be the only time Hamed stepped in with a fighter even remotely close to being on a Nelson or Sanchez level. Oh, and Barrera also had sounder offensive and defensive technique than Hamed, which I'm sure you'll agree, proved immaterial
Old 01-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #44
Mob
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
If memory serves me correctly, in 1978, Gomez fought and destroyed a far greater fighter in Carlos Zarate who ko'd all but 1 of his total opponents.
but you have to remember.......Zarate was moving up in weight to face Gomez. Gomez was a natural 122 pounder, and when he moved up to featherweight, he wasn't nearly the overwelming fighter he was at 122.

Technique wise, Gomez had it all over Hamed. But as we all saw, Gomez's punching power was't nearly as dominant at 126, nor was his ability to take a punch.

I could see this fight going either way....but no way would Gomez BLOW out Hamed.
Mob is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #45
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The Barrera fight, which by the way, happened to be the only time Hamed stepped in with a fighter even remotely close to being on a Nelson or Sanchez level. Oh, and Barrera also had sounder offensive and defensive technique than Hamed, which I'm sure you'll agree, proved immaterial
barrera is aclso an acoomplished featherweight and super featherweight, gomez aint shit at those weights.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum