Nigel_Benn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: SRL Vs Marvin Hagler My verdict is in

Bad Scoring, I donīt know why SRL is so hated here...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_Benn
I had it 8-4 to Hagler here are the rounds as i saw them

1.SRL
2.SRL
3.Hagler
4.SRL
5.Hagler
6.SRL
7.Hagler
8.Hagler
9.Hagler
10.Hagler.
11.Hagler
12.Hagler
Hagler looked terrible throughout the fight. Leonard out-scored him. Hagler could not put 2-3 punches together, and plodded forward landing single shots. Even during the 9th round, one of his best rounds, he had Leonard on the ropes ready to be gobbled up, but missed with wide clubbing punches from both hands. Leonard was an exhausted stationary target. Ive never seen Hagler's handspeed look so bad, very sluggish and past his prime.

Leonard won the fight. A clear, but close competitve fight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Not this again...
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I had Leonard winning 115-113
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Stewbear
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

First round

Leonard dances away and jabs, while haggler does nothing, and looks uncomfortable.

10-9 Leonard

Second round

Similar to first, but when Hagler gets close Leonard starts clinching, which is a feature throughout the fight, though on the inside Hagler still got some good body shots.
Close, but Leonardís rally towards the end just edges it for him, as Hagler still seems unsure how to deal with Leonard.

10-9 Leonard

Third round

Hagler switches to south paw, and goes after Leonard landing some good straight lefts, while even out jabbing him. All Leonard does is throw one punch and clinch, while Hagler wins all the exchanges.
At least we can both agree Hagler won this round ;]

9-10 Hagler

Fourth round

Hagler goes after Leonard early landing hard shots, while all Leonard does for the first half of the round is clinch, and low blow. Hagler lands some really hard body shots, while all Leonard does is showboat. I donít know what you are talking about in his round it was close, but Hagler landed the far harder punches. That one bolo punch (which the replay shows was also a low blow!) canít compare to the pain Hagler was dishing out.
This round shows how biased the commentary is.

9-10 Hagler

Fifth round

Hagler continues to chase Leonard, and has more success, as Leonardís legs seem to slow a bit. Also shows how remarkably well Hagler does despite Leonardís continual clinching. Haggler lands a lot of jabs, though Leonard does some nice body work. Hagler misses with a lot of big shots, but lands the first real hard ones of the fight, as he finds the distance. In the last thirty seconds Hagler hurts Leonard with a great right uppercut, and also traps Leonard on the ropes, who look tired.

9-10 Hagler

Sixth round

Hagler comes out strong with the jab, and lands a good left hook. Hagler lands three solid body punches, and Leonard looks as if he has lost nearly all the dance he had in the first few rounds. Leonard continues to clinch, but Hagler lands some solid uppercuts. Even the commentators admit there is nothing on Rayís punches, who is only hitting the glove anyway. Hagler looks slow and plodding, but still has little trouble getting to Leonard who is breathing heavy. Hagler misses badly, but again the commentators agree Leonard is doing nothing Hagler is just missing! Leonard does well of the ropes showing great upper body movement, but ultimately he is just defending, as Hagler lands more good uppercuts in the clinches. Hagler lands the far harder punches, although Leonard rallies in the last 15 seconds, but it is nowhere near enough. I am afraid you are completely off here.

9-10 Hagler
Stewbear is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Stewbear
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Seventh round

Hagler comes out with a hard right, and again Leonard clinches! Leonard throws little, and just pushes Hagler away with an outstretched glove, while trying to dodge the punches coming at him. Leonard carries on running from Hagler, who is throwing neat combinations, and out jabbing him. Again Leonard shows good head movement, but takes power shots when Hagler goes to the body. In a change Hagler now pushes Leonard back who stumbles. Hagler continues to land several jabs in a row, while Leonard occasionally throws flashy combos to no effect, though he does land some good left hooks, as he pushes Haglerís head down. Leonard tries to finish strong with flashy combos again, but this time Hagler pushes forward, and lands some really hard hooks and uppercuts. Impressive round for Hagler, as Leonard disgracefully hits after the bell.

9-10 Hagler

Eighth round

Hagler amazing continues to out jab Leonard with powerful jabs pushing him back. Hagler continues to land rights to the body when Leonard clinches, and just covers up when Leonard fires his pitter patter punches. Leonard continues to back pedal as Hagler hunts him down mercilessly. Hagler lands his stiff jab at ease, and walks through Leonardís shots. Near the end Hagler lands several hard body shots, and a brilliant straight right, though Leonard stands up well to it. Hagler beats Leonard easily when they stand toe to toe, and again Leonard hits after the bell!

9-10 Hagler

Ninth round

Leonard does seem to a second win here, and starts to put more behind his punches, though Hagler continues to land vicious body punches. Amazingly Leonard continues to get warned for holding, but no points are taken away! Hagler catches him on the ropes, but goes head hunting, while Leonard keeps his chin a moving target. Leonard lands a great combination, but Hagler seems unfazed and come back with a great left that snaps Rayís head back in what is the best punch so far of the fight, and then just pounds away at Leonard in the corner. To Leonardís credit he comes back with flurries of his own, but the difference is he is only fighting in spurts, while Hagler is constantly pressuring him. Both look exhausted at the end, but Hagler continues to blast away at the body, while Leonard desperately clings on. Hagler was by far the best in this round.

9-10 Hagler

(Important note her commentator says Hagler won round, though acknowledges Ďemotionsí may play a part in the scoring.)

Tenth round

Leonard starts to move a lot better in this round, but Hagler quickly goes back to pushing Leonard back with his jab, and landing hard uppercuts. Leonard throws some nice combinations, though there is no power behind them, and just spins out of the corner. (Note: how hilarious it is when the commentator says the referee is doing a good job lol) Leonard fights back, but continues to fight in spurts, and continues to get hit with numerous uppercuts in his own clinches. Hagler looks slow, but Leonard misses with a wild right, and gets caught with a big right hook, which probably won Hagler won a close round along with his late rally.

9-10 Hagler

Eleventh round

Leonard comes out strong, and establishes his jab, while counter punching the slow Hagler. Leonard seems a lot more composed, and although Hagler lands body shot in the clinch, he gets hit with good combinations on the break. Hagler catches Leonard on the ropes, but canít land anything cleanly, as Leonard fights back brilliantly. Leonard showboats, and gets his punches of before Haglerís, who comes back with big left hooks in anger, but is made to miss big by Leonard, who looks a lot more comfortable.

10-9 Leonard

Twelfth round

Hagler comes out with a big left hand, but Leonard continues to show a great chin. (Again it is said the Ďsentiment just has to be with Leonard) Hagler catches Leonard with a hard left on the ropes, but is made to miss several times. Hagler again traps Leonard in the corner, who breaks out with a flurry with absolutely no power behind it, who then decides to get on his bike again. Leonard continues to clown around and gives the round away as he throws nothing and amazing still continues to hold while Hagler throws to his body. To finish Hagler traps him against the ropes and catches with a huge left hook.

9-10 Hagler

111-117 Hagler final score

Hagler clearly won, and I would love to see you dispute any round. As has already been pointed out Leonard won because Ďsentimentí was with him, which basically it was an out right robbery, where Leonard won a popularity contest. The irony is I believe Leonard did spectacularly well, even taking into consideration the controversies surrounding the build up, and his foul tactics, but he know he lost. The judge who scored it 118-110 for Leonard proves all these points, as this is just criminal, and blight on boxing. This took me a long time to do, but was a great fight to watch again despite the shocking official result. Hagler himself summed it up best of all ĎI beat him he knows it everybody knows ití and its true if Hagler had won there would have been no controversy.
Stewbear is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Marv lost clearly, by at least a few points on the cards. I personally can't see it any other way. I scored the fight 116-112, Leonard.

The fight was swayed during those closer rounds, most of which SRL did enough to nick.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbear
Hagler himself summed it up best of all ĎI beat him he knows it everybody knows ití and its true if Hagler had won there would have been no controversy.

You simply have to be kidding.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Some people are as bitter as Hagler about the decision in this fight. Anyone who watches the fight carefully and scores it impartially can see Leonard won clearly by 2-3 rounds.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

111-117 Hagler. Probably the most ridiculous scorecard I have ever witnessed.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Nick Balsamo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hagler is my all-time favorite.. And I have great difficulties scoring the fight in his favor.

Scored it three times in my life, and I got one for Leonard, one for Hagler and one draw.
Nick Balsamo is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #13
FlatNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've heard the talk and complaints now for twenty years, and no matter how many times I watch the fight, Leonard always wins.He just Landed more punches, and the cleaner punches.Marv looked slow and sluggish the whole fight, but it was Ray that made him look that way.Leonard was simply the better fighter, and won clearly.
FlatNose is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Balsamo
Hagler is my all-time favorite.. And I have great difficulties scoring the fight in his favor.

Scored it three times in my life, and I got one for Leonard, one for Hagler and one draw.
I'm with you. Hagler aint my favourite fighter of all time, but I like him much more than Leonard.

I just can't see how Hagler was the better prize fighter that night.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
BoppaZoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1132

I had Hagler winning. This fight probably deserved a draw to tell you the truth but the judge that had Leonard winning 118-110 all i will say is BOXING POLITICS.

This fight had rigged written all over it when that judges score was read out.

It should have been a draw cause i think i had Hagler only winning by a round.
BoppaZoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum