Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #31
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do you lift weights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Ok i take Cod Liver oil, Chondroitin with Glucosamine and multi vitamins. Which is better Cod Liver oil or Fish oil?
Fish oil for sure!!!! I will find the best article i read on the subject as it relates to weightlifting and overall athletic performance
El Puma is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #32
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

I take fish oil, a multivitamin/mineral and glucosamine as well. Plus flax seed (whole or oil) but I'm not sure if you can call that a supplement, I put olive oil on my salad but that doesn't count as one either. I also "supplement" with many herbs and teas (phytochemical junkie), and eat garlic, clove and ginger root daily to name just a few. When does something become a supplement, there's a grey area.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #33
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict

Have any of you guys tried apple cider vinegar? Fantastic appetite suppresant and anti oxidant. Will post many gems tonight as I've fallen way behind due to my personal stuff. All apologies but it will be worth the wait.
El Puma is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #34
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
I take fish oil, a multivitamin/mineral and glucosamine as well. Plus flax seed (whole or oil) but I'm not sure if you can call that a supplement, I put olive oil on my salad but that doesn't count as one either. I also "supplement" with many herbs and teas (phytochemical junkie), and eat garlic, clove and ginger root daily to name just a few. When does something become a supplement, there's a grey area.
I consider anything that i dont get enough in my diet that i take in any other form that isnt food - a supplement.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #35
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
Fish oil for sure!!!! I will find the best article i read on the subject as it relates to weightlifting and overall athletic performance
Hmmm iv heard much about Fish Oil. Il add it to my list.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #36
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
Have any of you guys tried apple cider vinegar? Fantastic appetite suppresant and anti oxidant. Will post many gems tonight as I've fallen way behind due to my personal stuff. All apologies but it will be worth the wait.
Not me. The best supplements are herbs IMO.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #37
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott21 View Post
EFA's are essential to building muscle, also good monounsaturated fats keep insulin levels down, therefore you store less fat and that type of fat is primarily stored for energy. A must in any bodybuilders arsenal.
In interested in for rehabbing my knees not BB. My knees are ****ed and im finding a hard time finding a decent supplement that can give me some relief or at least aid the rehab iv been trying to do in the gym.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #38
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
In interested in for rehabbing my knees not BB. My knees are ****ed and im finding a hard time finding a decent supplement that can give me some relief or at least aid the rehab iv been trying to do in the gym.
Supposedly this supplement called Trigosamine is a new breakthrough for joints. Its flying off the shelves out here but I am yet to hear firsthand about its effectiveness, just user reviews who seem to rave about it.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #39
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
Supposedly this supplement called Trigosamine is a new breakthrough for joints. Its flying off the shelves out here but I am yet to hear firsthand about its effectiveness, just user reviews who seem to rave about it.
Ooo time for me to take a trip to supplement warehouse!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #40
telboy66
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I tried boxing way back when a teenager but gave it up for judo, squash, & football, Did weights at the same time. I ran a judo club for 20 years & now at 68 I still do weights twice a week not for any purpose other than to keep active I lift heavy rather than body building style
telboy66 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #41
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy66 View Post
I tried boxing way back when a teenager but gave it up for judo, squash, & football, Did weights at the same time. I ran a judo club for 20 years & now at 68 I still do weights twice a week not for any purpose other than to keep active I lift heavy rather than body building style
Well done old timer!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #42
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

You might be interested to know, I only think efa's help with inflamation, not necessarily joints problems.

I used to think that they sort of lube your joints, but then I started taking classes at my uni to become a personal trainer.. Synovial fluid, the fluid that acts as lube in your joints is mostly water. What I've learned? Drink water and make sure you perform light exercise for a warm up.. And, always warm down for a good 10-15 mins.. A brisk walk is good enough. Synovial fluid is replaced with movement.. Also, it is very good for you to load your spine, as this is one of most efficient ways to strengthen it via osteogenesis, AND it helps you to cycle out old synovial fluid in the spine, helps to prevent injury.

I could give a **** what RDJ says. Protein powders are great for post workout. Casein protein is great for inbetween and a great, great source of calcium. You need calcium for osteogenesis, now how you go about getting that calcium is up to you. But, I will tell you, Casein protein is extremely, extremely effective because it can help curb your appetite due to how long it takes to be digested, and because it is slow digesting, it has an effect of a slow drip amino acid/anabolic/catabolic prevention effect. Mix up some oats or quinoa in your casein shake, and you have a full ****ing belly for hours.

Not saying avoid macronutrients, have them too. But don't go without/catabolic because it is inconvenient to pack a shake that takes 20 seconds to consume.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #43
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
You might be interested to know, I only think efa's help with inflamation, not necessarily joints problems.

I used to think that they sort of lube your joints, but then I started taking classes at my uni to become a personal trainer.. Synovial fluid, the fluid that acts as lube in your joints is mostly water. What I've learned? Drink water and make sure you perform light exercise for a warm up.. And, always warm down for a good 10-15 mins.. A brisk walk is good enough. Synovial fluid is replaced with movement.. Also, it is very good for you to load your spine, as this is one of most efficient ways to strengthen it via osteogenesis, AND it helps you to cycle out old synovial fluid in the spine, helps to prevent injury.

I could give a **** what RDJ says. Protein powders are great for post workout. Casein protein is great for inbetween and a great, great source of calcium. You need calcium for osteogenesis, now how you go about getting that calcium is up to you. But, I will tell you, Casein protein is extremely, extremely effective because it can help curb your appetite due to how long it takes to be digested, and because it is slow digesting, it has an effect of a slow drip amino acid/anabolic/catabolic prevention effect. Mix up some oats or quinoa in your casein shake, and you have a full ****ing belly for hours.

Not saying avoid macronutrients, have them too. But don't go without/catabolic because it is inconvenient to pack a shake that takes 20 seconds to consume.
Interesting stuff dude. Mine is a combination of inflammation as well as old injuries that have got alot worse. My rehab is going so so but im defintly going to look for Fish Oil and EFA`s. Im willing to try anything that may help.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #44
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I found out I had a calcium deficiency, which explained a bit of muscle and small twitching problems I was having. Try glucosamine controitin, ensure you have sufficient calcium, and try to make sure you are getting over a gallon of water a day.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #45
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
I found out I had a calcium deficiency, which explained a bit of muscle and small twitching problems I was having. Try glucosamine controitin, ensure you have sufficient calcium, and try to make sure you are getting over a gallon of water a day.
Iv just started a course of Glucosamine Chondroitin a few weeks ago to see if i see a diffrence. Im also wrapping my joints to ensure they stay warm. So far i have seen a slight diffrence. Im also working out light in the weights room to keep them loose and strengthen the surrounding muscles. Hopefully it works. Good looking out dude.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing