I don't box but lift weights 13 22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #46
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Do you lift weights?

I only think whey is good for post workout along with carbs.. You mentioned carbing up, so I take it you are familiar with replacing glycogen stores.

The inbetween shakes should be Casein. I cant stress how convenient it seems to be considering things like absorption and avoiding catabolic states.
Koa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #47
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you have any shoulder/scapular problems. You really should try working out the rotator cuff. You can use a heavy band, but light weight on a cable machine, or a light dumbell 5-15 lbs seems to work best.. Try to get 25-30 reps in, 3-5 sets when you work it out.. And a set of 25 for a warm up before you do any bench, shoulder press sort of work.. The best exercise seems to be cable external rotations.. So many reps because the muscle is mostly slow twitch.. Helped me out a bunch, I would always get pains when messing with dips. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Koa is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #48
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
I only think whey is good for post workout along with carbs.. You mentioned carbing up, so I take it you are familiar with replacing glycogen stores.

The inbetween shakes should be Casein. I cant stress how convenient it seems to be considering things like absorption and avoiding catabolic states.
I was catabolic once but that was years ago when my diet was a mess. As for protein shakes i only take them post workout. Other than that i make sure i get what ever nutrients i need through food and food alone. Im not a big fan of supplements at all or over reliance on them. And all i consume now are complex carbs. Iv seen a massive difference in performance. Even my strength and muscle memory is better!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #49
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sure, carbs are your basic supply of energy. Proteins are going to supply your body with the raw materials to build, and maintain mass.

Part of the problem with a lot of people, (and perhaps this is what people think I do) is that they take in too much protein and try to rely on it as staple source of energy. Protein isn't the most efficient source, if you have nothing but protein, you likely will feel lethargic, your glycogen stores will deplete, and that can lead to a catabolic environment as well.

Unless you carb up, you can't expect to put your body through hypertrophy, and for your body to work very well.

The thing, I feel people don't seem to understand the muscle system. Type 1 slow twitch fibres use oxygen to operate, type 2b fast twitch use glycogen. Fast twitch type 2a can use either or, and are intermediate fibres..

Obviously, you want your muscles to work optimally, you should be using all of them, and feeding all of them.. You basically need a form of glycogen.

The other part of the problem, people don't know how to train their muscles correctly.. Either trying to train slow twitch muscles like fast twitch muscles.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #50
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Fats are an important supplier of energy as well. The only fuel source muscle can use though, is ATP. Dephosphorylation of ATP makes ADP + P + energy. How ADP is re-phosphorylized and which muscle fibers are more active depends on how much energy is required for a certain movement. There are three possibilities:

- Dephosphorylation of creatinephosphate (CP), the freed P + energy will be used to reattach the phosphor to ADP.
- Burning glycogen without oxygen (anaerobic).
- Burning respectively glycogen, fats or protein with oxygen (aerobic).
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #51
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Part of the problem with burning fats is the bodies ability to switch from burning carbs, to burning fats.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but I tried, what is called a ketosis diet a few months ago. It worked to a degree, but eventually it wore me down and I got sick. I was averaging around 2-3 lbs a week.

Theoretically, you only load carbs one day a week. So basically, 6 days out of the week you are eating mostly protein and fat, which optimizes the switch to using fats as energy. Carbs you do supply should be plant based and low calorie, like whole broccoli, carrots, leafy greens, no starches. Part of the problem, it takes a while for the process, of converting fat to energy in the mitochondria to actually occur.. So, doing medium cardio, essentially letting your heart rate go above 125 for extended periods of time is too fast a pace for your body to keep up the transformation of fat to energy.. Essentially, your body ends up in a catabolic environment..

Cardio is supposed to be more like, a somewhat fast walk, and walking throughout the day. Weight lifting is supposed to be limited to heavy lifting, not too much more than five reps per set.
Koa is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #52
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Interesting stuff dude. Mine is a combination of inflammation as well as old injuries that have got alot worse. My rehab is going so so but im defintly going to look for Fish Oil and EFA`s. Im willing to try anything that may help.
Fish oil is anti inflammatory. Garlic, clove, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, things like that are also very good against inflammations. Herbs and spices are very underrated.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #53
cockneyhardman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Sure, carbs are your basic supply of energy. Proteins are going to supply your body with the raw materials to build, and maintain mass.

Part of the problem with a lot of people, (and perhaps this is what people think I do) is that they take in too much protein and try to rely on it as staple source of energy. Protein isn't the most efficient source, if you have nothing but protein, you likely will feel lethargic, your glycogen stores will deplete, and that can lead to a catabolic environment as well.

Unless you carb up, you can't expect to put your body through hypertrophy, and for your body to work very well.

The thing, I feel people don't seem to understand the muscle system. Type 1 slow twitch fibres use oxygen to operate, type 2b fast twitch use glycogen. Fast twitch type 2a can use either or, and are intermediate fibres..

Obviously, you want your muscles to work optimally, you should be using all of them, and feeding all of them.. You basically need a form of glycogen.

The other part of the problem, people don't know how to train their muscles correctly.. Either trying to train slow twitch muscles like fast twitch muscles.
the amount of protein needed is over estimated
a sedentary person only needs 0.9 grams per kilo of lean bodyweight
if you build up you need a bit more - 1.2 to 1.5 depending on the degree of building up
some articles i have read are ludicrous and state you should eat 30% calories from protein which means if your consuming 3000 calories per day 30% = 225 grams of protein - too much unless you are very fkin big
cockneyhardman is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #54
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Amen.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #55
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

i do both, lift and box. it just depends what works for you. i start all my work outs with pull-ups and press ups and tend to finish with dips, whether its weights or boxing training. i always finish a weights session with 45 mins of padwork. (i lift 3 times per week, light, medium and a heavy day) i also swim, cycle and run 3 times per week. the run consists of a mile an a half run to the local stadium to do a circuit on the steps then the run back. theres 4 blocks of steps (2 flights of 15 steps on the 1st 3 blocks, and 5 flights of 15 on the 4th block) with a disabled access ramp at the end, there's 4 ramps and i run them after the steps back to the start point. i do 10 circuits altogether. the only supplements i take are muli-vitamins and cod liver oil.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #56
pijo
Feed the Pope
ESB Addict

vCash: 106

I box and occasionally lift weight, maybe once a week something.
pijo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing