Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Re: was Roy Jones KO's in Amateurs

As I said, I remember Roy himself admitting it in an interview being stopped by an Irishman in the amateurs. And there had been meetings between USA and Irish amateur boxers. Roy was one of the top American boxers in 1986, so it's wholly possible that he represented that team vs Ireland at his weight. Without a primary source I can't confirm who it was.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
As I said, I remember Roy himself admitting it in an interview being stopped by an Irishman in the amateurs. And there had been meetings between USA and Irish amateur boxers. Roy was one of the top American boxers in 1986, so it's wholly possible that he represented that team vs Ireland at his weight. Without a primary source I can't confirm who it was.
I think we have our wires crossed a bit here. Im not saying your wrong or it didnt happen, im just very very surprised that ive never heard of it before. Ive just spoken to a friend who was an international back in the mid 80s and he remembered Reids name and his club, but couldnt remember him beating RJJ. Again, that isnt to say it didnt happen, its just that HE didnt remember it, and that was the point i was trying (badly) to get across, and that is anyone who fought anyone who 'makes' it or becomes a household name, then it tends to get remembered over here.

For instance, guys here remember gerry duddy punching the head off jeff fenech, and roger mc kiernan blasting johnny tapia, or fra mc cullagh fighting tony tucker. Its a small place with a small boxing community. Big names tend to be remembered. Thats the point i was trying to make and it wasnt a slight on you or your claim. Im just astounded no-one has ever mentioned this before
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #18
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

There's an [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], that finds several results for a search of "John Reid" and Jones in 1986, but the price for seeing them is way too high.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
There's an [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], that finds several results for a search of "John Reid" and Jones in 1986, but the price for seeing them is way too high.
what paper is it and how do i get it. Im in ireland so its maybe cheaper (or free)
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #20
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Try it yourself.

Click 'Free archive search' button on the right.

In "Search For:" field enter
Quote:
"John Reid" <AND> Roy <AND> Jones
Check the "Search in all Publications".

In "Select Time Period:" choose "Date Range".

From Date [mm/dd/yyyy]: 01/01/1986
To Date [mm/dd/yyyy]: 12/31/1986

And click the "Go" button.
It returns three results, although none of them is from October 1986.

Quote:
"Roy Jones" <AND> boxing
returns another result from December.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #21
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I cant see anything in any of the headlines to indicate anything and im fuked if im paying a tenner.

Ive just spoken to a friend of noel reid, who woulda boxed then at welter and lt middle, and he says he never fought jones. Theres one of the Joyces from Cork who fought Jones but he lost a decision in the Goodwill games in 86.

Funnily enough, Frankie Liles, who beat Jones, was KO'd by Gordon Joyces brother Kieron Joyce. I think John Scully was at this fight as he had 1 or 2 fights in an Ireland vest. Maybe he could shed some light on this
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Just to nuance things, "KO'd" can mean many things when people talk about amateur fights. Most or referee stoppages which are much quicker than the ones in professional fights. There's nothing strange about even an insanely talented guy like Jones being stopped in the amateurs. Taking a few good consecutive right hands can be enough with some referees - just look at Bowe vs Lewis.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Jones and Liles fought 4x in 1987/88, splitting even at 2-2. They all went to decision, but in one of Liles' wins he forced two standing-8 counts on Jones.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #24
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
Theres one of the Joyces from Cork who fought Jones but he lost a decision in the Goodwill games in 86.
Yeah, Gordon Joyce lost a 0-5 decision to Jones in the quarterfinal, before Roy was eliminated in the semifinal by Igor Ruzhnikov two days later.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #25
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah, Gordon Joyce lost a 0-5 decision to Jones in the quarterfinal, before Roy was eliminated in the semifinal by Igor Ruzhnikov two days later.
thats right, it was at light-welter.

Its my understanding John Reid fought kieron Joyce in the finals of the National Seniors that same year (86) at light-middle

I see Jones has a 1st round loss to Andy Liebling, could it be him?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #26
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jones lost a 3-round decision (1-4) to Andy Liebing (not Liebling) in a preliminary bout (1/8 finals) at 156 lbs in the World Junior Championships in late June 1987. It wasn't first round of the bout, but rather first round of the tournament.

Last edited by Senya13; 01-15-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #27
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Jones lost a 3-round decision (1-4) to Andy Liebing (not Liebling) in a preliminary bout (1/8 finals) at 156 lbs in the World Junior Championships in late June 1987. It wasn't first round of the bout, but rather first round of the tournament.
Thank you for correcting me cos i put an 'L' in his name

EDIT. Okey doke about the 1st round mix-up. Im just grasping at straws for an explanation as i cant get anywhere with my enquiries.

Last edited by johnmaff36; 01-15-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #28
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Just spoke to a family friend who happened to be the Ireland coach on and off from a long time back and he happened to be coach in the mid 80s for a spell. He has no recollection of this.

Thats 4 ex-internationals from the 80s ive spoken to plus the ireland coach from around 86 and none of them recollect this happening, though they did all say that noel reid, and not john reid, was a helluva banger but cant recollect him,or anyone else, KO'ing RJJ.

Is it possible there may be a mistake made somewhere? I mean, it is possible these guys are missing something but its highly improbable
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #29
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Andy Liebing in an interview said he didn't remember that he outpointed Roy Jones back in the amateurs, and only learned about that when the announcer or the ringside commentator said that before the start of one of his pro bouts. He said Jones wasn't well-known back then yet, that's why he didn't remember him, and that was in 1987, in Moscow. Jones was probably even less known an year earlier, in Ireland.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #30
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Andy Liebing in an interview said he didn't remember that he outpointed Roy Jones back in the amateurs, and only learned about that when the announcer or the ringside commentator said that before the start of one of his pro bouts. He said Jones wasn't well-known back then yet, that's why he didn't remember him, and that was in 1987, in Moscow. Jones was probably even less known an year earlier, in Ireland.
entirely possible, i agree. But john scully knows roy personally plus he boxed for ireland around that time and he cant shed any light on it either.

Again, its entirely possible they are all missing something and your quite right that RJJ could have been even less known in ireland, but the examples i gave earlier of jeff fenech getting the head punched off him by gerry duddy and johnny tapia being beaten by roger mc kiernan, came when neither man was well known yet people remember it well here'

just saying

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum